A private residential mansion for the Gordon family, Knowsley was completed in 1904. Italian marble, Guyanese wood and Trini limestone are combined elements in this great house. Located around the Oueens Park Savannah and not far from the Magnificent Seven it is a further example of colonial opulence in plantation Trinidad. The building now houses the Ministry of Foreign affairs and held the swearing in ceremony for our first female PM Kamla Persad-Bissesar.
Originally begun in 1809 from monies allocated by the British parliament, this Anglican church was eventually completed in 1818. The stained glass and hammer beams of carved mahogany wood are one of the best examples of wooden church vaults. The church can hold 1200 and if it is open just take a walk inside. The space exudes island divinity.
Located at the Eastern end of Brian Lara Promenade in Independence Square, this great church is the home of the Archdiocese of the Catholic faith in Trinidad.
An order of the Dominican friars who originally came from Spain in 1513 were replaced by the French Dominicans in the 1860s who chose the current site as their presbytery. The present structure was completed in 1880.
National Museum & Art Gallery
The National Museum is housed in the former Royal Victoria institute which was built in the German renaissance style to house the arts and science institute that was built to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The Museum houses exhibits from the earliest settlers, indetured labourers, cultural and historical exhibitions. The art collection also features trini greats such as Cazabon. Th compact museum gives a good insight into T&T. Its closed on Mondays.
T&T is booming and the capital is getting an overdue if not overdone make over. It looks good however the development can be distributed more evenly, instead of making a megapolis!
Check out these landmarks around town; all currently being built in various stages of construction.
The palce is becoming unrecognisable..hopefully it will draw all the good elements out from the bad...
Driving west of POS , the lively suburb of St James is where local cuisine and beverage are a must; beer rum, roti, doubles, corn-soup and pelau - just to name a few
just of the main route the Western Main Road WMR is Long Circular Mall and Ambassadors Hotel in the foothills.
Continuing along the WMR brings you to West Mall in the glitzy suburbs of west POS.
Further along one reaches the winding coastal road with great panoramas of the Gulf of Paria and islands of the tip of the peninsula.
Easily the best beach and easiest acessible on Trinidad.
Popular with locals everyday and the few tourists
The journey through winding mountains and down into the bay is picture perfect at every hair-pin.
The waters are darker than Caribbean counterparts and rougher as well, but adequate life patrols make the dip delightful.
You must try Fried shark burgers - called 'shark & bake' -a delicacy here with fresh catch and you must! try the sauces to accompany them.
All road side vendors in Trinidad have a food badge and are subject to high standards of food preparation, so dont FEAR the FARE!!!!
The Maracas Bay hotel on the west side of the bay is the only place to stay. It has clean decent rooms & service. Apart from the beach facilities much of the area is serene and unspoilt forest!
Chaguaramas- a former military base, beaches, nightspots, Pier One, Moon Over, the BASE and the Anchorage; and access to 'down the island' cruises from Pier One is a must. They include food, music and drink while steering through magnificent private-island retreats; penal clonies and massive oil-platforms.
Built in 1903 by the fifth Archbishop oF POS, the Irish sourced stone is worked into a Byzantine semi-Renaissance influenced motif.
Many other styles have been attributed to this facade which is exemplary of the exotic melange found only in 'Triniland.'
Completed in 1904, the Scotish architect who designed this work commissioned as a private residence for Charles Stollmeyer ; patterned the structure after a wing of Balmoral Castle in Scotland.
During WWII both the CAstle and Whitehall were used as offices by the US forces.
German rennaisssance edifice built in 1904.
The school was established in 1870 and remains an important bastion of secondary education. Indeed it was the alma mater of the country's first prime minister Dr. Eric Williams.
Possibly the worlds largest roundabout just north of the city centre provides s breath of freshness after downtown.
Home to the annual Carnival Grandstand parade on the south side, also the National Museum.
The 'Magnificent Seven'- architectural gems on the West QPS ;
the verdant foothills of the Northern Range on the north border. Here too the Zoo; Presidents House and the Botanical Gardens occupy your time before a cool drink at the Hilton for great sunset vistas of POS and western peninsula Trinidad.
On a piece of land on the Muntanya Pelada, in the Barcelona district of La Salut, Eusebi Guell wanted to build an urbanisation inspired by the concept of the garden city. In this he sought to return to nature, health and an escape from the insalubrious industrial city.
One of the assistant is Antoni Gaudi who worked between 1900 and 1914, so this park is full of color and dreamworld style.
Nowadays, it is the most famous park in Barcelona.
Temple de La Sagrada Familia:
Construction work began on the Sagrada Familia in 1882. Its promoter, Josep Bocabella, entrusted the work to the architect Franciso de Paula del Villar who, in 1883, was replaced by Antoni Gaudi. From this moment on, the work on the temple would accompany him for the rest of his life and he introduced artchitectural solutions that he had tested and solved in other projects. The temple, that would be called the " Cathedral of the Poor", had to be financed entirely by donations. The works continue up to this day, following the plans that the architect left behind.
Between 1904 and 1907, Antoni Gaudi worked for the industrialist Josep Batllo Casanovas reforming a house built in 1877 and located in Passeig de Gracia in Barcelona. The decoration of the house espresses a fully-fledged modernist language. However, the Barcelona population of the period were quite astonished by this work and quicly gave it nicknames e.g. " house of bones" or the " house of yawns"
No 1 Wrightson Road, Port of Spain, Caribbean
Good for: Business
Invaders Bay, Audrey Jeffers Highway, Port of Spain, Caribbean
Good for: Solo
This is a small hotel located in central Port of Spain. I stayed one night en route for Margarita...more