Getting Around Port-of-Spain

Most Viewed Transportation in Port-of-Spain

• Southern Sales Car Rentals

by Walter1945 Updated May 6, 2010

My wife and I visited Port of Spain for the Carnival in February 2010. To get around, we wanted to rent a car for three days before and another three days after Carnival. After my negative experience with Econo Car Rentals (see separate comment on this company), I decided to ask a local friend to make the reservations. Around Carnival it is very difficult to find a rental car if you do not make arrangements well before. But he found one from Southern Sales, one of the largest car sales, service, and rental companies. He told me by email that Southern Saled had indicated verbally that the car would be available according to my requests. To make sure, I called Southern Sales. They confirmed and asked for my credit card details to finalize the reservation. This sounded encouraging. But the day the car was agreed to be delivered to my hotel, I waited in vain. After an hour I called them: "Yes, we are on the way to pick up your car at the airport, we will be at your hotel shortly". After another three hours of waiting, a girl finally drove the car into the parking lot of the hotel. The rental contract she brought with her stated a rental period of 9 days (instead of the 6 requested). A phone call with her superior revealed that this person had already charged my credit card with the entire sum for 9 days! After a long discussion she agreed to exchange the contract and to refund the 3 days. The car was ok, and we returned it after the first rental period of three days with the same amount of gas as we had taken it. The guy picking it up had a new contract for three days, but it showed an extra charge for gas. On the phone his superior said: "well that's what we usually do. No there is no refund, because your credit card has been charged already!"
    After Carnival we were supposed to get a car again for the second three days. Again, after having waited for an hour past the agreed time, I called the person in charge. Her voice was so hoarse she could only whisper (well, what do you expect the day after Carnival?). She said that I had given the car back early after three days, and that she did not have a car for me!
    Southern sales seems to be well organised, don' you agree?
    Fortunately the reception of my hotel was very helpful. Within an hour they had located a rental car available at the airport. By chance a taxi going there anyway was organized within minutes, and at a favorable price of 40USD. The rental company was called Exclusive Cars, but the car we got was an old Opel with more than 200'000km, torn seats, and with one tire low on air. But at least it was something with four wheels to get us around. Surprisingly without a breakdown, by the way. I suggest to rename the company to "Excellent Wrecks".

• Econo Car Rentals

by Walter1945 Updated May 6, 2010

My wife and I visited Port of Spain for the Carnival in February 2010. To get around, we wanted to rent a car for three days before and another three days after Carnival. I first contacted Econo Car Rentals by filling in the form on their website. They promise to contact you within 24 hours. Well, after a week I decided to write a reminder by email. Again nothing happened for several days. I finally called them. The comment was "we don't do emails!", but the girl found my email and promised to answer it the next day. Nothing happened. I called again. The person responsible was not in: "Please try again later". Which I did. The result was the same. But the girl (another one) took my request by phone. I asked for a confirmation by email: "we don't do confirmations, we will contact you at your hotel the day the car is ready". Would you trust such a company? I didn't, and looked for another one (see comment on Southern Sales Ltd). Needless to say that I was never contacted by Econo Cars at my hotel!

• lifeexplorer's Profile Photo

Bus in Valencia

by lifeexplorer Written Dec 9, 2003

Most of the people in Valencia cannot speak English, if you are looking for a bus that you have no idea where is its bus stop. Goto the closest one and check the bus route map. There has the information about which bus can people changed at every stops.
    Moreover, there is a set of TV on bus that will show other bus routes you can switch to at the next stop.

Port-of-Spain Hotels

Top Port-of-Spain Hotels

Port-of-Spain Hotels
12 Reviews - 15 Photos
Queen's Park Savannah Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Port-of-Spain

Comments

Port-of-Spain Transportation

Reviews and photos of Port-of-Spain transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Port-of-Spain sightseeing.
Map of Port-of-Spain