Tobago Sports & Outdoors

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Scuba diving Tobago

by DSwede Written Oct 23, 2008

Backward roll for diving

I was recommended a few dive shops by locals and by fellow divers.

They may look relaxed enough and have humble shops but the dive masters are knowledgeable and safety oriented. If you're diving, check out:
    R & Sea divers (see contact info below)
    Extra Divers

Reefs are typical Caribbean reefs.
    "Maverick" is an old auto ferry wreck.
    Far northeast corner near Speyside has best year-round visibility and best chance of seeing the big critters.

Due to rainy season and the large amounts of silt dumped into the Caribbean from the Venezuelan rivers, February through August are typically the best for water clarity and visibility.

Equipment: All equipment is available locally.

After calling most shops, they all offer approximately the same rates of $20TT for all equipment.
    Dives cost typically $40TT per dive.

Some shops give a sliding scale of dives if you do multiple days.

• Beaches

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Mountain biking in Tobago

by CEP1863 Written Dec 29, 2013

Mountain biking in Tobago

I really enjoy exploring and getting off the beaten track when I am travelling. Mountain biking offers an energetic way of doing just this. I booked a day's mountain biking with a guy called Sean de Freitas who offers personalised and tailor made tours. Tobago is a mountain bikers paradise with many off road trails that can be quite technical but lead to spectacular views of the ocean. Certainly I saw a different side of Tobago and I really enjoyed riding the lush forest trails and exploring the mangroves.

At the end of the day, I was tired and exhilarated having thoroughly enjoyed seeing a side to Tobago that I would never have seen had I not been on a mountain bike.

Equipment: Helmet and bikes are provided.
    Soft drinks are provided.

Take your swim wear, a towel and a camera in a small backpack.

• Cycling
    • Eco-Tourism

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Scuba diving with R & Sea Divers

by CEP1863 Written Dec 29, 2013

French Angelfish

There are a number of dive operators on Tobago to choose from. In the end I chose R & Sea divers and I was not disappointed with my choice. Initial emails that I sent as enquiries were answered promptly and all information that I requested was readily provided. I provisionally booked my dives and arranged to be picked up from my hotel. R & Sea divers do a free pick up and return from your hotel to Pigeon Point Beach where their boat is based.

Staff were incredibly friendly and the boat master and dive guides were incredibly knowledgeable and had a clear passion for the reefs surrounding Tobago. I dived the southern area of Tobago on reefs in the South End, Mount Irvine and Arnos Vale area and found the reefs to be in pristine condition with an abundance of life. On all of the dives that I did, we never met another dive boat and it made for very leisurely and enjoyable diving.

Overall, I found R & Sea Divers to be a brilliant outfit to dive with and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Equipment: I had all my own dive gear but the rental gear at R & S Divers was well maintained and in good condition.

• Women's Travel

• henri123's Profile Photo

PIGEON POINT

by henri123 Written Mar 28, 2014

windsurfing

The big private beach on Tobago (entrance fee) . A favourite place for windsurfing.

Equipment: All windsurfing equipment, also a small aerea for snorkeling.

• Windsurfing
    • Water Sports

Instant Answers: Tobago

Comments

Tobago Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Tobago sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tobago sightseeing.