Tobago Transportation

• Crown Point International Airport,Tonabo.
    Crown Point International...
    by Greggor58
    Ram's the TAXI in Tobago...
    by Greggor58
  • LIAT Airlines,Crown Point International Airport.
    LIAT Airlines,Crown Point International...

Most Recent Transportation in Tobago

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Sheppy's Auto Rental

by CEP1863 Written Dec 29, 2013
    Sheppy's Car Rentals

I prefer to explore an area under my own steam rather than take an organised tour where I often feel that I am herded from place to place in line with someone else's time scale. The dive centre where I was diving recommended Sheppy's Auto Rental as a company that was reliable.

A reservation was made with a phone call and I arranged for the car to be delivered to my hotel. The car arrived on time and the paperwork was completed quickly and efficiently. The car was in good condition; Sheppy's has a large fleet of rental cars including many 4x4s but I was quite happy to settle for a basic saloon with air-con which suited me perfectly.

Definitely a car rental company that I would recommend.

• Women's Travel

• LADY IN RED CAR RENTAL = DISHONEST

by bago Written Mar 29, 2013

LADY IN RED CAR RENTAL is the most dishonest money hungry business i have ever come across in on any of my travels. This is scam central. The owner is a thieving so called "godly woman" who has a bunch of illiterate boys running her business. You WILL be charged well over the average cost of your vehicle, and I can guarantee you when you return it you are going to be asked to pay for miniscule scratches that weren't even your fault. Please google and see the many reviews by other past customers who all say the same thing. to show how rampant this is - when i was returning my car and getting accosted for scratches I did nto do, there were 2 - yes 2 other customers on the premises going through the same thing i did!!
    DO NOT RENT FROM HER!!!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

Ram’s Taxi Service..

by Greggor58 Written Jun 18, 2011

Ram's the TAXI in Tobago...

I didn’t have a rental car and I crossed paths with Ram on a rainy afternoon when I had had enough of walking...I broke down…

I was hanging out at Grafton Beach close to Black Rock and it had rained quite heavily and I asked one of thee girls at the Beach Bar…maybe Janet…or Karen..to call me a taxi.

Ram showed up quickly and that was the first time of many that I used his services. All I had to do was give him a call and he would arrive when he said that he would. Just to be certain, as I do in any situation like this I established on the telephone what the fare will be and that’s settled no surprises and no problems.

There are here in Tobago I think fixed rates for travel between zones. At Crown Point International Airport just outside of the Arrivals section you’ll find a sign with posted information for rates to various destinations on the island.
    I used Ram’s service to move between Plymouth areas and as far south as Crown Point.

Even when I prearranged a transport he was punctual, maybe more so than I was, more than once when I arrived at our arranged pick up spot and he was there patiently waiting for me.

Ram's vehicle is a small van and can accommodate up to seven people and is air conditioned..and he's available with notice 24 hours around the clock..

Initially he was somewhat reserved and maybe somewhat shy but after the third ride or so he started to open up and we had some interesting conversations.

When you’re visiting in the Black Rock area or Scarborough I’d try to arrange transport with Ram. He is I think honest and for sure reliable. I didn’t feel like I was being gouged when I was quoted a rate and I liked his easy going personality.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

Crown Point International Airport...TAB.

by Greggor58 Written Jun 18, 2011

Crown Point International Airport,Tonabo.

You won’t get lost using this small International Airport located at Crown Point on the south end of Tobago. Its not hard to figure out and there are FEW conveniences to be had here. There’s not an over abundance of shops to pick up last minute gifts or snacks so don’t depend on the airport as a last chance for last minute shopping or a good meal if you’re hungry.

Crown Point is seemingly serviced well enough and there are daily flights to and from Port of Spain and Tobago with Caribbean Airlines.
    Another regional carrier, LIAT also has daily flights in and out to various islands such as Grenada and Barbados.
    Tobago is also serviced by carriers out of the UK and Frankfurt ad Crown Point is the destination airport for these flights.

A word of caution, given the small size of the airport, the ticketing and check in area of the airport is kind of small and likely has the potential to jam up easily when any of the Euro flights are preparing. ARRIVE EARLY!!

As it was, my outbound flight co-incided with one of these flights but because I had arrived early I avoided having to suffer any major line ups

The arrivals area is also small and when I arrived on a flight from Barbados we were the only people that they were processing and so it was a fairly fast exit from baggage pick up and Customs, but again, if arriving on a large aircraft be prepared for some waiting. I wouldn’t imagine it would be a fast process given the number of Customs stations and the confined space.

There was good availability of taxis waiting for our inbound flight and there is signage indicating fixed rates for different communities throughout Tobago. I whisked myself out of there as soon as possible and I didn’t wander around at all.

The link that I’ll provide below is I think the official website for the airport but seemingly is primarily a vehicle for advertisement.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Drive yourself around the island

by DSwede Updated Aug 8, 2009

Tobago is a small island. Depending on how long you want to spend in any particular place, you can easily circumnavigate the island in a day. You can stretch it do two days if you want to be leisurely or make some excursions.

When you arrive, you will no doubt see how many rental car companies there are. In all my travels, I am having a hard time thinking where else I have see as many for such a small town.

Rates will be relatively reasonable and standard between all companies. Some offer free pick-up and delivery in the Crown Point area. Based on reputation, some have better track records for quality cars and less unwarranted disputes for scratches/dents.

Sheppy's is an agency that has a good reputation. Asking other travelers and locals, I found no reason not to rent from them. Rates start about $45 USD per day (~ $280 TT).
    51 Store Bay Local Road, Crown Point

[I was warned to stay away from "Lady In Red" rental]

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Flying T&T. Don't let overbooking deter you

by DSwede Written Oct 23, 2008

Tobago from the air

Trinidad Express, now operated by Caribbean Airlines as the "Air Bridge", offers $300TT tickets one-way between Port of Spain and Crown Point (Tobago). Tickets are valid for one year with no penalty of changing dates. Therefore many people do not adjust their tickets or simply buy them for an arbitrary date and then use them at their convenience. To this end, often times the flights appear to be sold-out, but in reality space is almost always available. Using the internet and calling the airline office, I unsuccessful tried to book tickets several times.

However for both myself, mother and friends, we have not once had to wait more than one flight by using the stand-by line. Alternatively, if you wait for the ferry on a stand-by list, your odds are less and you will have fewer options if not successful.

Flights are approximately once every hour and a half. Flights are everyday of the week.

Alternatively, you can take the ferry:
    www.tntisland.com/ferry.html
    Port Authority for Tobago ferry (7:30-4:00 M/F) not for ticket sales
    PoS - 868 625-4906
    Scarborough - 868 639-2417
    Check the website for schedule and confirm foot notes for if vessels are in dry dock for servicing.

• johnkebab's Profile Photo

General advice on getting around

by johnkebab Written Apr 4, 2006

2 kinds of buses that go round the island - Maxi Taxis, that stop for you at the side of the road, you get on, pay and go - easy peasy.

Island buses that stop for you at the side of the road, let you on, and then you find out you need a ticket before getting on the bus and bus doesn't have them on board. Beware.

Alternatively, stick your thumb out, as you travel round the island you'll see that this is one of the main ways of getting about for most people, on Trinidad as well, but Tobago be a bit safer for all ye tourist types.

Alternatimertilaverly, you can rent a banger from various places in Scarborough, you may end up with a jollopy, but they generally go and the garages are pretty flexible.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• chennaismartguy's Profile Photo

Ships from Trinidad toTobago & vise versa

by chennaismartguy Written Nov 9, 2005

Me with friends inside the Captain's Deck @ MV Son

There are 2 ships which operates between Trinidad & Tobago. It leaves to from the main Port of Trinidad (Port of Spain) to Tobago (Scarbourough).
    1. MV sonia - which takes 4:30hrs the economy ticket is around TT$25, Tourist class-TT$30, Cabin class - TT$80.
    2. Linx or CAT - which is a fast catamaran boat, takes around 2:30hrs and has only economy class, cost around TT$25.

In both Port of Spain & Scarborough there are ticket counters inside the port. If you want to transport your vechicle, you have to be there by 3hrs before departure of the boat else 2hrs. All the ticket counter closess 2 hrs before, its always good in advance. The ship/boat timings vary depends on the working day & publish holiday and even depends on the crowd.

• chennaismartguy's Profile Photo

Rent a car/jeep

by chennaismartguy Written Nov 9, 2005
    Car

We rented a 6 seater van for 5 of us for 2 days which works out very cheap. Use your own gas. Since its a very small island mostly you wont get lost. Enjoy the cross country on the rain forest mountains.

We rented from Red's Car Rental. Red is a very nice person.

Store Bay Local Road, Crown Point, Tobago.

Instant Answers: Tobago

Comments

Tobago Transportation

Reviews and photos of Tobago transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tobago sightseeing.