Local traditions and culture in Turks and Caicos Islands

• Caribbean Lobster with West Indian Spices
    Caribbean Lobster with West Indian...
  • Local Customs
    Sweet Caribbean Lobster

Most Viewed Local Customs in Turks and Caicos Islands

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Caribbean Cuisine

by cjg1 Updated Oct 12, 2011

I love visiting the Caribbean not only beause it's beautiful but the food is outrageously good. I love the local Caribbean Lobster, the tasty conch dishes and the local spirits.

Caribbean Lobster is a spiny lobster. There are no claws and the meat is all in the tail section. The meat is very sweet and tender. I think it's the best Lobster around and I know my wife will agree. We've never visited the Caribbean without her having a Lobster meal.

Conch is another tasty favorite. I have had conch in several ways: conch fritter, grilled conch, conch salad, stuffed conch and conch chowder. It really is good and I always look forward to having it when we are in the Caribbean.

The local rum was quite good and the name escapes me...... It was often used in our drinks and I really liked the flavor. The local beer of T&C, Turks head was very good and my wife and I enjoys having several during our stays in T&C.

• pugwashman's Profile Photo

Give the conch a try

by pugwashman Written Mar 19, 2005

The local delicacy is conch (pronounced conk). It's basically a big shellfish which is a bit like squid, but you can get it cooked in a variety of ways.
    We had conch fritters which were excellent.

Locals dry it and cure it so they can eat it throughout the year rather than just when it's in season, however on Provo there is a conch farm that you can visit so there is always a plentiful supply.

Conch hanging on a line

1 Hotel
Grand Turk Island Hotels
1 Review - 3 Photos

Instant Answers: Turks and Caicos Islands

Comments

Turks and Caicos Islands Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Turks and Caicos Islands local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Turks and Caicos Islands sightseeing.
Map of Turks and Caicos Islands