Providenciales Island Local Customs

• Caribbean Lobster with West Indian Spices
    Caribbean Lobster with West Indian...
  • Local Customs
    Sweet Caribbean Lobster

Most Recent Local Customs in Providenciales Island

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Turks Head Lager; the Local Beer

by LadyRVG Updated Oct 3, 2012

Whenever my husaband and I travel; we like to try the local beer or drink. When travelling to Turks and Caicos, the local beer is Turks Head Lager.We first discovered Turks Head when visiting Grand Turk in 2008. During our stayd in Provo we have found this lager to be a great drink to beat the heat when lounging on the beach or by the pool. We enjoy drinking this crisp, refreshing beer whenever we are visiting the islands.

You Might Encounter Some Monsters or A Big Bird

by cjg1 Written Jun 15, 2011

Staying at Beaches meant we might encounter a Sesame Street Character or two. During our stays we saw Big Bird, Elmo, The Count, Bert & Ernie, Cookie Monster and Zoey. My wife had fun posing with Elmo and Bird as well as counting with the Count....One Rum Runner,,,Two Rum Runner..Ha ha ha..

Caribbean Cuisine

by cjg1 Updated Jun 1, 2011

Caribbean Lobster with West Indian Spices

I love visiting the Caribbean not only beause it's beautiful but the food is outrageously good. I love the local Caribbean Lobster, the tasty conch dishes and the local spirits.

Caribbean Lobster is a spiny lobster. There are no claws and the meat is all in the tail section. The meat is very sweet and tender. I think it's the best Lobster around and I know my wife will agree. I think she had over eight Lobsters on our honeymoon. Lobster season is from November to March. You can find restaurants that serve it out of season but is mostly frozen and not fresh.

Conch is another tasty favorite. I have had conch in several ways: conch fritter, grilled conch, conch salad, stuffed conch and conch chowder. It really is good and I always look forward to having it when we are in the Caribbean.

The local rum was quite good and the name escapes me...... It was often used in our drink and I really liked the flavor. The local beer, Turks head was very good and my wife and I enjoyed seeral mugs and botles of it on our honeymoon.

• Beaches

Turks Head Lager

by cjg1 Updated Apr 8, 2010

Liz enjoying some Turks Head Lager on the Beach

The local beer in Provo is Turks Head. It has two varities a dark beer and a lager. My wife and I enjoyed several of the Turks Head Lagers on the beach, in the pool or hanging out at one of the many island bars. It is light, crisp beeer which is perfect for enjoying in the heat.

Conch

by cjg1 Updated Dec 14, 2009

Conch pronounced "Konk" is a marine snail. The snail is edible and is a popular food item in the Caribean. Conch meat has a mild, sweet clam-like flavor. During my travels I have tried: conch fritters, conch chowder, conch steaks, conch pasta and marinated raw conch salad.

The conch fritter and the conch chowder have been excellent. Liz had a conch and crab ravioli in a butter sauce that was so good I had to try it for myself.

• Beaches

• providencerunner's Profile Photo

The natives are not Bahamians

by providencerunner Written Feb 22, 2007

I got a long lecture from one of the locals explaining that although Turks and Caicos is at the end of the chain of Bahamian Islands, they are not the same as the Bahamas. As most of the islands are, the people here are very proud of their own island.

Instant Answers: Providenciales Island

Comments

Providenciales Island Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Providenciales Island local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Providenciales Island sightseeing.

View all Providenciales Island hotels