Sports Events in Turks and Caicos Islands

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Turks and Caicos Islands

• ScubaCat's Profile Photo

A Diver's Heaven

by ScubaCat Updated May 17, 2006

Scuba Diving Turks & Caico's is every diver's dream. It has such marine life diversity in its unspoiled waters. You can see everything from Blennie's and Angelfish to Sharks and Dolphins. Diving in the Turks & Caico's has something for everyone, mind boggling walls, colorful coral reefs and even a few wrecks. The visability was the best I had ever seen. Crystal clear blue water with a ratio of 100 to 180 feet. We stayed in Provo and dove with Dive Provo. They had 2 dive shops. The main one was right across the street from Comfort Suites which had packages available. The smaller dive shop was located at Allegro Resort. What a wonderful dive company! Not once did I have to lift my equipment nor set it up. The divemasters were very patient and helpful, taking into consideration everyone's safety. In fact, it was manditory to dive with a computer even if you had your own gauge. If you didn't own a comuter, no problem, they will rent you one for $25.00 a day. After the dive's, there's no need to break down the equipment & haul it back to your room. Dive Provo took care of that and stored your gear as well so that it was all set up & ready to go the next morning. The only drawback with diving from Provo was the long distances you had to travel in order to get to the dive sites. If you had chosen to stay in Grand Turk, your at the dive site within 15 to 20 minutes.

Equipment: You don't have to bring a thing. All of the dive shops have mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, BCD's and the like for rent. Of course I always recommend that most divers own their own mask, snorkel's and fins to get the best fit and avoid complications on a dive. Most of the dive shops had T-shirts and trinkets for sale along with other necessitaties such as defogger, sunblock, and a few landards just to name a few.

Parott Fish Black Damsel Blue Tang Me at 86 feet Looking up name tonight
    • Water Sports

• kucha's Profile Photo

Flying Trapeze at Club Med

by kucha Updated Apr 10, 2006

If you're ready for a change from diving -- or just avoiding a dive prior to flying out -- try the Club Med day pass. For $75 a day, you can spend a total of 3 hours on the flying trapeze, as well as enjoy tennis courts, organized beach and water volleyball games, a buffet lunch and free drinks (when trapeze is done, of course).

Equipment: The equipment was well-maintained and the team was professional.

• Bungy Jumping

• kucha's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving

by kucha Written Apr 10, 2006

This is one of the best scuba destinations in the Caribbean.

I dove with both Provo Turtle Divers and Dive Provo. The former was slightly better, but you would not go wrong with either. The ships are new and well-maintained, with experienced and friendly insturctors.

One nice aspect of Provo Turtle was their generous and complementary snack service following the morning dives, which helps curb your appetite as you head back to shore.

Both operators run free shutle buses from the hotels to their marina.

Equipment: Both oeprators rent equipment, or you can bring your own. Note that you are REQUIRED to have your own dive computer, or rent it for $10 from the operators.

Snorkel

by cjg1 Updated May 17, 2011

Equipment: Snorkeling was a free activity at our resort. Snorkel equipment was kept at the Water Sports Desk. We were able to give our room number and sign out the equipment. Snorkel areas were designated by red buoys in the water. There were both man made and natural reefs. Our first day of snorkeling we didn't see much in the water. A few small silver fish drifted by. Our second day snorkeling had a larger variety of fish and sandollars. It was a fun experience and Liz's first time snorkeling.

Sea Kayack

by cjg1 Written May 17, 2011

Sea Kayaking was one of the water sports included at our resort. It is hard work getting started and pulling away from shore with the tide fighting against you. After several attempts we finally made it out for a nice ride. The water was pretty calm once we got out but the occasional wave made Liz laugh hysterically to the point I thought we might tip over. After I started feeling a little sunburn coming on we headed back to shore.

It was a nice experience to paddle out in the water and see the island from the sea.

Sail Away on a Hobie Kat

by cjg1 Written May 17, 2011

Sailing on a Hobie Kat is a perk of staying at our resort. After a short lesson (30 minutes and it's mandatory) we were given the okay to take it out on our own. I have sailed before so this wasn't a problem for me getting the hang of it. The resort allows you to have the Hobie Kat for an hour at a time (longer if there are Kats still on the beach). They suggest you stay along the shore and within sit of the beach but several people were venturing out too far. One day we observed a hobie Kat get overturned from the person going to fast in strong winds. The rescue boat was dispatched to pick up the guests and set the boat upright. I don't think those guests will be going out on the Hobie Kat aain after that.

We had a nice day with good winds and stuck to the rules. We were fortunate to have almost three hours on the Kat since there were still several Kats on the shore.

Take an Ocean Dip

by cjg1 Updated Oct 12, 2011

Turks & Caicos has some of the warmest, calmest and clearest waters I have encountered during my travels. Whether it's the crystal blue waters of Provo, Litle Water Cay or Grand Turk; it is a pleasure to swim. The water temperature is never cold; at least compared to NY, California or Hawaii. There are waves but the surf is never rough. Swimming is such a delight it's hard to make yourself get out for a spell.

Swimming in Provo Swimming in Grand Turk

• SophieTango's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving - recommended diving club

by SophieTango Written Feb 7, 2008

Mitch Rolling introduced me to diving and I loved it! Fantastic diver and instructor, he initiates or develops your diving in the warm waters and gorgeous sceneries around the island.

Made my business trip a fantastic experience and I got my PADI open water diver certification!

• Photography

See nearby hotels
Pine Cay Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Turks and Caicos Islands

Comments

Turks and Caicos Islands Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Turks and Caicos Islands sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Turks and Caicos Islands sightseeing.
Map of Turks and Caicos Islands