Getting Around St. Croix

Landing

Most Viewed Transportation in St. Croix

Driving - Roads on St. Crois

by grandmaR Updated Jan 9, 2015

The most important thing to remember is that in St. Croix, they drive on the LEFT, but with LEFT HAND DRIVE CARS. Every so often I have to yell LEFT at Bob and sometimes he thinks he should turn left, forgetting that he has to drive on the left. As the driver, you will always be next to the grass edge of the road. Some of the roads in Christiansted and Fredriksted are one way.

The next thing to explain about are the roads. The roads have route signs like in the rest of the USA, but there aren't as many of them. After you turn on a road you may not see another sign for some time. The girl in the hotel office said - Those must be for tourists. We don't use them. They give directions like - go to the five point crossroad and take the road by the Ford dealership.

Island roads tend to be poorly surfaced and may take sharp turns due to the terrain There are three tiers of roads. The two number roads numbered from 60 to 82 are fairly decent roads. They don't have speed bumps. The three number roads are mainly 601 to 799. They are very local roads and they have frequent and possibly unmarked speed bumps on them, so proceed with caution. .And then there are the four digit roads - paved and un-named roads. Try to stay off of them as they have potholes big enough to swallow the whole car.

One of the rare route number signs Route junction sign Driving on the left around Fredriksted King Street in Christiansted - partly one way
    • Seniors

Budget Rental Car

by grandmaR Updated Jan 7, 2015

Except for our first visit by cruise ship, we have always rented a car. Although they drive on the left, the traffic is not that terrible and doesn't go that fast. We rent from Budget which has a very convenient Henry E. Rohlsen Airport location for pickup - there are other car rental companies there too. You drop the car off away from the airport. Budget has a Christiansted location, and there are other car rental places in St. Croix, but the airport is convenient for us.

The first time we got a white car and when it was time to leave the return place wasn't open, so Bob took photos of all sides of the car before dropping the keys off. The next time we got a grey Ford Fiesta The rental in December was $279.33 for the week.

Renter must have valid driver's license and major credit card, and be between the ages of 25-79. Surcharge for renting drivers aged 23 and 24 (excludes military). Since USVI insurance laws differ from other states or countries, when using a DEBIT CARD for your rental, please present proof of current auto insurance by email or fax in advance of rental, or at time of rental pick up.

Internet bookings must be 48 hours in advance of rental in summer season, 36 hours in advance of rental in winter season. In Winter Season, convertibles, vans, and other specialty vehicles must be reserved 5 days in advance.

There will be a sticker inside the windshield which says KEEP LEFT and warning you not to smoke in the car and not to leave sand in it.

Bob at the Budget rental car window Instrument cluster when we turned in the car Grey Ford Fiesta with sun glaring off of it Photo I took mid-rental in Feb Warning sign inside window
    • Disabilities

Local Transportation

by grandmaR Written Jan 7, 2015

For the patient person willing to wait, VITRAN (Virgin Islands Transportation) buses serve the island with numerous routes, starting service at 5:30 am on weekdays, ending at 9:00 pm, starting later on weekends. If you are not in a hurry, you can tour the island for only $1, going between our two towns and to shopping centers (transfer at La Reine in mid-island).

An alternate affordable way of getting around are group taxi vans (marked Taxi) that ply many routes. Economy-minded visitors can pick up a ride from Christiansted to Frederiksted or reverse for $2.50, if they are willing to share with local riders. Departures are from the Market Square in Christiansted and Buddhoe Park in Frederiksted, but the vans can also be flagged down along the route.

We have done this on other islands, but we did not do so in St. Croix as we went ahead and rented a car.

VITRAN bus stop sign Another sign - this one in Christiansted Bus stop outside University of the Virgin Islands Bus stop shelter The van behind us passing a bus stop (on right)
    • Sailing and Boating

Henry E. Rohlsen Airport

by grandmaR Updated Jan 7, 2015

We have flown in and out of St. Croix twice. The first time in February 2014 when we came in after dark in the evening. We landed pretty much on time. The guy at the bottom of the gangway with the wheelchairs wheeled me in to the door into the airport where someone had to let us in as the door was locked. Then he stayed at the door to let the flight crew through and the door lady wheeled me in to the luggage claim. I saw Budget window on the way and told Bob to go get the car.

On the way home, we left the hotel at 6:40. Bob dropped me and the bags off at the airport, and went to return the rental car. The gates were shut - they weren't open at 7 like they said. So he came back and turned it in at the airport (taking photos of the car first) and turned in the keys. Then he had to go back as he forgot his hat. Meanwhile I was in a wheelchair but there was no one to take the luggage. I asked a man who was standing there and he said the redcaps had red shirts. In the course of talking to him and wheeling myself over to the luggage, I got onto the handicapped ramp and rolled backward out into the crosswalk. No one was coming so no problem.

Also he told me that the airport did not open until 7:30 (not 7 as they said). When redcap appeared, he put the luggage over by a pillar and told me to stay there. He was also helping some people with about three dog kennels with the dogs howling inside. (The dogs were not happy)

Bob eventually arrived and someone came out to log us in. But the tag printing machine did not work. Some delay for that. Then the scooter. This time Bob left the battery in the scooter. No dice. We could not ship the scooter that way.Eventually they said that the battery had to be in a zip lock bag and since they didn't have any... but I interrupted here and said I did have one (Bob had the cranberry juice in it on the way down). So they had to shut up about that. They said that the battery would have to be given to a flight attendant and then transferred to the plane going to Baltimore to another flight attendant. I don't know what is special about flight attendants that they can keep the battery from exploding any better than anyone else. Bob was sure that wouldn't work

One of the ladies behind the counter with a reflective vest pushed me through customs (nothing to declare as the only thing we bought was food and gas). Then through security. I was wearing a fairly long dress and this was a problem for them and I not only had to walk through the magnetic door way, but they patted down my legs. We were in the boarding area by about 8:00.They came TWICE to ask me if I could walk up the steps or did I need a lift. I said I could walk up the steps. And I did.

The second time in December, we landed about 5. The wheelchair person took me to the luggage area and sat me down with the carryons. I gave the luggage tags to a red cap and sent Bob off to rent the car. We got Bob's bag, but it was a long time and neither my bag nor the Luggie bag appeared. The red cap went off into the depths and returned with both of them

On the way home, we left the unit about 11 and stopped to get gas. Then we drove to the airport and checked in. There was no one to push the wheelchair, so Bob pushed it. We had lunch and used the facilities, and then pointed out our bags to the TSA so they could put them through the scanner. Then we went and sat in the lounge and waited.

Control tower of the airport - passing in plane Airport from inside a plane Taking off Landing Taxi booth in the airport
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Seniors
    • Disabilities

Taxis on St. Croix

by grandmaR Updated Jan 7, 2015

We did not actually TAKE a taxi on St. Croix. The taxis on St. Croix are similar to the taxis on the other US Virgin Islands. Some of them are 15-seater vans, station wagons, or 25-seater safari vehicles, or sedans which seem to be seats put on the back of a big truck. Licensed taxi vehicles are labeled with: a taxi placard or dome light on the roof, license plates that indicate Taxi status, On Duty/Off Duty sign in the window of the vehicle and a sign, usually on the fender, indicating passenger capacity. The drivers personal identification/taxi license should be on the vehicles dash board. Taxis are plentiful but depending on taxi service as your main source of transport for multiple days and multiple people can really add up! Rates are standardized (there aren't any meters but the driver will have a list - rates from the airport to hotels range from $12 to $24), it is strongly recommended that you speak to the driver and agree to your total rate (for you, your group, your luggage, waiting, tour) before boarding the taxi. You will find taxi stands located throughout Christiansted, Frederiksted, and mid-island points or you can call for one.

Tourist taxi at Whim Plantation White taxi in Christiansted Taxi in the Jungle Taxi license to look for Taxi turning the corner

Cruise Ship Excursions

by grandmaR Updated Jan 6, 2015

Most of the time, cruise ship passengers will be taken on the excursions in large white vans. Although the ship will say that there is a long walk down the pier, actually, the vans come to the ship to pick people up.

Our excursion, which I liked very much, circumnavigated the island and stopped at Columbus's Landing, at Cane Garden Bay and at Christiansted. There were two vans for our excursion. Ours was the first one, so I could take photos out the back window of the other van.

If you don't do the diving, snorkeling or horseback riding excursions, visiting the numerous historic attractions, such as Fort Frederik, the Estate Whim Plantation and the Christiansted National Historic Site's numerous monuments, reminders of St. Croix's Danish heritage.

Excursion van, out the back window Excursion van, out the back window Excursion van, out the back window Excursion van behind us Excursion vans getting back to the ship

Cruise Ship

by grandmaR Updated Jan 6, 2015

St. Croix is much less visited by cruise ship than St. Thomas. Our ship left St. Thomas at 1800 for the 42 mile trip to St Croix. I don't know what they did from then to the next morning as they certainly didn't need that much time. There is a long dock for cruise ships in Fredriksburg - it is about a ten minute walk from the ship to get into town.

If you come in on a cruise ship you can take an excursion, or rent a car (Budget has a place at the pier - Cancellation Policy: CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS: Must cancel 24 hours in advance or 1 day will be charged to credit card.), or hire a taxi, or just walk around in Frederiksburg.

Celebrity at the dock 2014 Ship at the dock from the van Ship from the waterfront Coming back on board Leaving the Ship at the dock

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Henry E. Rohlsen Airport

by DEBBBEDB Written Feb 17, 2014

Most people come to St. Croix by air. There aren't many direct flights - we connected through Miami

The original name of the airport was the Alexander Hamilton International Airport, but in 1996 it was renamed the Henry E. Rohlsen Airport after a St. Croix native who was one of the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II. It is located six miles southwest of Christiansted.

on the ground taking off oil tanks as we take off Looking over the wing deep water port for the oil refinery
    • National/State Park

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Arrival Via Cruise Ship

by cjg1 Updated Nov 25, 2013

My wife and I arrived in Dominica aboard the Celebrity Summmit. We both enjoy taking cruises as a vacation and this was a great one. We had a seven night cruise that sailed out of San Juan hitting the following ports: St. Croix, St. Thomas, Grenada, Dominica and St. Kitts.

St. Croix was not a favorite of our out of all of the island we visited.

• ongde's Profile Photo

Driving a car on the left side of the road

by ongde Written Feb 15, 2012

I thought driving on the left side would be very difficult but since the cars are the same as in the States (left-side driver) it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (don't try to convince the locals that I scared to death by my abrupt lane changes). The hard part is that almost all the roads are unmarked and directions given by the locals were on the order of " turn left two intersections from the corner where the market used to be....). And little street lighting so you are often "driving in the dark"! But a car is necessary if you want to go into town or explore a bit.

• Kristini's Profile Photo

Cape Air - Great Views

by Kristini Written Jul 10, 2010

Cape Air flight is pretty cheap from San Juan Puerto Rico to St. Croix. (approx 1 hour flight time)

It's a 10 seater plane (including the pilot). So sometime usually has to sit up in the cockpit next to the pilot. Since it's a smaller plane they fly pretty low altitude, and the views from the flight are amazing!

Those with a weak stomach / fear of heights should probably take American Eagle which is more representative of a normal plane.

• Adventure Travel
    • Photography

• Horses in the roads

by lewatts Written Nov 13, 2007

When driving in St. Croix, it is not uncommon to see an unsupervised horse on the side of the road or even in the median. We even saw two horses who had stopped to chat with each other right in the middle of the road. All the cars just stopped until the horses were ready to proceed- contribute it to a slower pace.

• frank_delargy's Profile Photo

Rent a car but be careful when driving on the left

by frank_delargy Updated Aug 18, 2006

St Croix has a lot of beauty that can only be appreciated by renting a car and exploring.
    Be careful though, they drive on the same side of the road as the British, but use American style cars. Basically you drive with the driver hugging the curb. As far as I could tell there was nothing bigger than a 2 lane road on the island, so it's a bit easier than it sounds. Watch out for the turns though.. that's where you forget :)

driving through the small rainforst
    • Beaches
    • Water Sports
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• HailVibrainia's Profile Photo

Getting Around St. Croix: Taxi vs. Rental Car

by HailVibrainia Updated Apr 6, 2006

For some reason, we didn't reserve a rental car ahead of time. When we got to St. Croix, there were none available. The big names (Avis, Hertz, etc.) were booked solid; a local company (Olympic) seemed the best bet but we were waiting on people to return cars, they said, but not with much hope...

So we were stuck with taxis. Very pricey, because we were traveling the length and width of the island, several trips a day.

The drivers were very friendly, loved to chat. If you're going shopping, ask if they know of any good places. Many of them have business cards for a shop or two in the touristy areas, which give you a discount. I bought $100 worth of jewelry in a shop because of the discount, and paid less than $70.

Verify the rate before you get in the taxi. We were charged $12 for a trip, and the taxi back was $24 - our fault for not asking first. Also, taxis in the center of the island are a bit harder to get. You call, they don't show...but that can happen anywhere.

We should have reserved a rental car, though...I like driving on the left.

Thought about renting a scooter, but the locals laugh. Tourist rent them, then bang them up. When they get home they find a $5000 replacement charge on their credit card bill (for a $3500 scooter).

• Business Travel

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Taxi Service

by frankcanfly Written Apr 15, 2003

The cost of a Taxi is reasonable here, due to cheap gas prices maybe??

Let me give you the name and number of the reliable man that we always use:

Joseph
    Mobile Phone: (340) 690-0853

Expect to pay about $6 per person to get into town...

St. Croix Hotels

10 Reviews - 42 Photos
Saint John Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: St. Croix

Comments

St. Croix Transportation

Reviews and photos of St. Croix transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for St. Croix sightseeing.
Map of St. Croix