Cruz Bay Restaurants

Cafe Roma from the street in 2007
    by grandmaR
    Bob's coconut shrimp ($11.00)
    Looking at the ferry dock

Best Rated Restaurants in Cruz Bay

High Tide Bar and Seafood Grill: Rumbalaya Caribbean Grill

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Looking at the ferry dock

Apparently in 2004, this place was called Rumbalaya. At least the website for a restaurant at this location and with the phone number that this restaurant has, and the same menu is under the name of Rumbalaya.

In anycase, we had lunch here while waiting for the ferry back to Charlotte Amalie. It was quite pleasant to sit in the shade and watch the goings on at the ferry. Several people came down to the docks with a lot of luggage and sat here and had lunch.

The service was a little slow and the waitress apparently felt bad about this, so she deducted $1 off our bill.

Favorite Dish: Bob had a coconut shrimp appetizer ($11.00 - Three large flash fried shrimp, coated in shredded coconut, served with a tasty mango dip.) and a Virgin Colada ($5.50).

I had a chicken club ($10.00 -A triple-decker made with grilled chicken breast, American cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato and served on white or wheat, with a dab of mayo.) and iced tea ($2.00). Our total bill before tip was $28.50

• Cruise
    • Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

Cafe Roma: Look Down on the Street

by grandmaR Updated May 23, 2007

Cafe Roma from the street in 2007

We had dinner here one night. We came early so we got a table by the window. I don't remember much about the food, but I DO remember being enormously entertained by watching the things going on in the street below. I also remember that the window was dirty - so dirty that I couldn't really take photos through it.

They DO have a webpage which says: Cafe Roma has served St. John since 1981. Excellent Italian Trattoria-style cuisine with an extensive menu. Offering in-house specials and traditional recipes (including vegetarian selections.) All in a casual cafe setting with a heavenly mural...

In the summer of 1995, a mural was painted by Ted Effremoff (a Russian artist, now teacher, in Philadelphia) with scenes of Italy.

I remember the mural, but it has been changed since we were there. I also see from their website that the owner wants to retire and sell the restaurant.

Open 5–10 p.m. daily Air-conditioned

Favorite Dish: Some of the things on the menu:

Veal Marsala Veal tenderloin medallions, sautéed with fresh domestic & Portobello mushrooms, flamed with marsala wine finished with pepper and served with cappellini ~24

Chicken Cacciatore
    Sliced boneless chicken breast with mushrooms, peppers, & onions;
    in a light sweet marinara sauce ~23

Chicken Gorgonzola Cream with Cheese Ravioli
    Sliced boneless breast of chicken with gorgonzola cream & walnuts atop tomato basil & cheese ravioli ~23

• Beaches

J. J.'s Texas Coast Cafe: Blender Drinks

by grandmaR Updated May 23, 2007

J J's outdoor tables

We had dinner at Uncle Joe's BBQ the first night. When we walked down into Cruz Bay we saw that J.J.'s had a special on frosty drinks. So we sat down outside to eat.

We each had a virgin strawberry daiqueri. They were delicious. I don't remember what else I had to eat, but Bob had two of them, and afterwards he broke out in a rash, so he has to be careful how many strawberries he eats now.

They do not seem to have a web page, but they are still there after 10 years so that says something.

Favorite Dish: A St. John's eating place review says "Eat great breakfast burritos (US$4.95; weekends only), lunch or dinner outside or at tables around the indoor bar. Always a cheap, reliable option."

I didn't even know they were open for breakfast.

• Luxury Travel
    • Sailing and Boating

• Asolare: Asolare: Snotty service at astronomical prices

by LovesToTravel21 Written Jun 8, 2010

I have a friend who used to like going to Asolare for his birthday. But after they stiffed us on an outside table--and charged $180 to our credit card when we bailed!--even he can't stand the place any more. Good: I wouldn't have gone back even once after first experiencing their mediocre food (there are rave reviews, but the keyword is "inconsistent," so maybe I've just been unlucky?), glacial and elitist, arrogant service, and unbelievably high prices ($44 for a filet mignon that's worse than Outback?). Tourist trap is the best description I can think of for this place!

Favorite Dish: Sorry, I haven't found anything I would think of having twice.

• Two I would highly recommend...

by magnbay Written Aug 26, 2002

Two I would highly recommend for fine dining are ZoZo's and Stone Terrace.
    Stone Terrace has a wonderful view of the bay and the sunset. Get an outside table if you can.

Favorite Dish: ZoZo's - I had the swordfish stuffed with crab meat and sweet peppers. It was delicious and I am not a sea food fan.

Stone Terrace - Try the Thai spring rolls for starters. The blacked tuna was excellent.

Instant Answers: Cruz Bay

Comments

Cruz Bay Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cruz Bay restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cruz Bay sightseeing.