Cruz Bay Shopping

Mongoose Junction in
    by grandmaR
    door of one of the shops
    bowls

Best Rated Shopping in Cruz Bay

St. John Spice: Upstairs

by grandmaR Updated Feb 13, 2007

St. John Spice is a shop that is run by Ruth. I first heard about St. John Spice on the AOL Virgin Islands board. So I climbed the stairs (with the sign that said "Do not sit on stairs") and at the top I saw a lady cleaning the glass door. I said - "I'm looking for Ruth". She was Ruth.

I spent about a hour buying stuff for people there. I had them ship the stuff for two of my daughters and 6 grandchildren. The items for my other two children and four grandchildren I carried with me. They also said they would mail my roll of film from Dominica, although the PO was closed for New Years Day, and was going to be closed Tuesday for the national day of morning for Pres. Ford.

There are actually two stores, one on each side of the stairs. One is St. John Spice, and the other is St John Kids. St. John Kids has children's toys and clothing items.

I ended up buying baseball hats for some of my grandsons (one of the St. John hats, and one with a picture of a shark on it that said "Bite Me" which my husband said a young teenager would really like), Pirate T-shirt, large bags (for going to the beach) for my daughters, coffee beans for my son-in-laws who grind their own coffee beans, BBQ spices for my son, and some dresses for my younger granddaughters.

What to buy: Books & Calendars - one of my favorate books is St. John Feet, Fins & Four-Wheel Drive by Pam Gaffin for $14.00

Caribbean Gifts such as Tropical Mugs for $6.00

Caribbean Stocking Stuffers - Trunk Bay Coasterstone Coasters $5.00 each

Fragrances & Lotions: Island Fragrance made in St. Thomas White Ginger Eau de Toilette 1oz Spray $12.00

Coffees and Teas: Haitian Blue Voodoo Roast Coffee

Hot Sauces: Sunny Caribbee- Caribee Red Hot Sauce - Tortola, BVI $7.50

Jellies, Jams & Other Goodies: West Indian Red Bean Soup $6.00

Pottery & Purple Heart Wood: Cylinder Mug with turtle (4” tall) $26.00

Salt and Pepper Sets - Short colorful laminated set $38.00

St. John Tee Shirts and Hats: St. John Palm Tree Baseball Caps $18.00

Teapots: IMAGES OF ST. JOHN TEAPOT $14.00

Vanilla and Spices: Small Vanilla - 5 ounces in a green glass jar with a cork stopper $15.00

What to pay: Nutmegs (8) with handle grater $8.00
    “Orphan Glass” Pendants and Earrings made from recycled glass by local designer Bob Davis. $14.00 each.
    Blind Betty’s Jalapeno Hot Pepper Jelly $6.00 (St. John)
    *Cruz Bay Grill Rub- $5.00 for 2.5oz. bag.

St. John Kids Columbian Emeralds downstairs Clothing and gifts Gives a new meaning to Soap and lotions section
    • Beaches

Tropical Visions: A Mirage from the Past

by grandmaR Updated Dec 21, 2005

This was a small shop which doesn't seem to be there anymore or at least not on the internet.

Even at the time they were affiliated with another shop, as they didn't have their own phone. Possibly something like this shop at Mongoose Jumction:

ART GALLERY at WICKER WOOD & SHELL - Original Art and Fine Crafts. Representing painters well known for St. John scenes. Bavano sculptures, decorative accents, picture frames, glass, designer jewelry, objects d'art. 340 776-6909

What to buy: I got a present for my son and DIL for their anniversary

A shell frame $15.00 and a set of four coasters with shell impressions in a sandy base $15.00 (pictured)

They charged $5.00 for shipping

Shell coaster Another coaster with a starfish
    • Adventure Travel
    • National/State Park

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Bougainvillea Boutique: Go for a Swim?

by grandmaR Written Feb 12, 2007

under construction

I took a pictures of this store, but I'm not sure of the name of it. It was behind the restauant we ate at.

What to buy: The Bougainvillea Shop is one of the Virgin Island’s finest island apparel stores. This beautiful shop is colorful and distinctive and carries the best names in men’s and ladies wear. Wonderful Island clothing unique to the Caribbean is always featured. Exciting accessories, shoes, hats bags and jewelry are available to add flavor to any wardrobe. The swim wear collection is undoubtedly the best and largest in the Virgin Islands.

• Cruise
    • Beaches

Mongoose Junction Mall: Shopping Experience

by grandmaR Written Feb 6, 2015

In 1997 our landlady at the Cruz Inn told us that there were two main shopping mall areas in Cruz Bay - Mongoose Junction and Wharfside Village. She said Mongoose Junction was better shopping with more local stores and I did find that to be the case. It seems to be a little more commercial now (there is the ubiquitous Little Switzerland), but in those days there was a book store and various shops where local people were making things.

Current stores
    PORTICO
    R&I PATTON
    ST. JOHN BREWTIQUE
    SUGAR BIRDS

What to buy: I bought a lot of sailing books at the bookstore for my husband. I got a custom decorated hat for my mother and also I bought T-shirt for my grandchildren. There was also a potter where I got a bowl that was made there.

What to pay: Prices I paid then would probably not be relevant now.

Mongoose Junction in T shirts bowls door of one of the shops postcards, clothes and gifts
    • Seniors
    • Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Cruz Bay

Comments

Cruz Bay Shopping

Reviews and photos of Cruz Bay shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cruz Bay sightseeing.