St. John local customs
1. It is St. John, not St. Johns. St. Johns is either in Newfoundland or Antigua.
2. Greet with good morning, good afternoon or even hello how are you? It is considered rude to try to conduct business without at least a greeting.
3. Do not wear swimwear away from the beach or pool. This is especially considered rude in town.
Always Greet Someone Before Making A Request
As in many cultures, simple things go a long way and may be the difference between rude and friendly service. One of the key things in the Virgin Islands is always greet someone before you make a request or ask a question. Good morning, afternoon, or evening usually does the trick, but it will help even more if you can say it like they do by dropping the "Good" and just saying "Maunin' " You will see the smile quickly emerge and avoid being perceived as rude.
You will be greeted much more warmly if you begin every conversation with "good morning" or "good afternoon". It is island etiquette. Appropriate dress is important too. Swimwear in public places is frowned upon.
St. John Hotels
PO Box 720, Caneel Bay, St. John, 00831-0720, Caribbean
Satisfaction: Very Good
Good for: Couples
Our very exclusive package was ~$850 per night for seven nights. very secluded beaches, incredible...more
Maho Bay, off North Shore Rd, PO Box 310, , 00831, Caribbean
Top St. John Hotels
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Explore the World
- Hog Island Hotels
- County Donegal
- Grindelwald Hotels
- Porto Petro
- Beirut Hotels
- Roxboro Hotels