Saint Thomas Things to Do

• Get your Banana Daiquiri here - no thanks
    Get your Banana Daiquiri here - no...
  • Rainy day shot of Magens Bay from the Mountaintop
    Rainy day shot of Magens Bay from the...
    Beautiful Bay at Charlotte Amalie

Best Rated Things to Do in Saint Thomas

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Shop for Bargains at St Thomas Duty Free!

Jumpingtwins at one year old, St Thomas USVI

The Duty Free Shops in Charlotte Amalie are probably one of the best, if not the best, in the world! The watches for men are just amazing with current designs, and my wife of course enjoyed her side of the store, hehehe…

St. Thomas is widely known as the best shopping spot in the Caribbean, as this is where nearly all the major cruise ships dock with their bargain-hungry passengers. Perfume, liquor, electronics, china, jewelry and clothing are 40 to 60 percent lower than in the United States! I think the Tissot watch I bought was actually lesser than the discounted on-line price.

There also these old 17th century rum and spice warehouses at the waterfront which are now home to a variety of shops with all sorts of shopping treasures.

So, when in the Caribbean, be prepared…(to buy). Quite a bargain!

• Luxury Travel

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Great Views at St. Thomas' 700 ft Sky Ride!

Jumpingdaughter at highest point to St Thomas,USVI

I got one of the best pictures I have of my daughter after riding the St.Thomas Skyride – a tram ride up to Paradise Point which 700 feet above sea level. My two year old daughter walked with us to a nice gazebo where she looked out at the sweeping views of Charlotte Amalie harbor. Perfect shot!

The gigantic cruise ships in port can be seen, and the views just look surreal at times.When we went up, the weather was perfect. So, hopefully it is not raining when you do your visit!

For a fee (I forgot how much), you can use the tramway which operates six cars similar to those used at ski resorts Aside from the views, the top also has several shops, a restaurant and bar.

Feed Shark in Caribbean's Coral World Marine Park

Jumpingson at one year old, St. Thomas USVI

We decided to bring our two year old twins to the Coral World Marine Park & Undersea Observatory, a three-story underwater observation tower located 100 feet off shore where you can watch fish, coral and other sea creatures in their natural environment. The Predator Tank is one of the world's largest coral reef tanks, and the aquarium has more than 20 portholes providing close-ups of Caribbean sea life.

The slogan of the aquarium is “Get Up Close and Personal”. So, for adventurous kids, there is a children’s touch pool and an open-air pool that houses sharks and giant eels. Or , you can swim with the sea lions or try a Sea Trek Helmet Dive.

However, my kids just decided to walk alongside the iguanas and look through the safety of the glass barriers of the exhibits of marine life (including feeding of the fish by a scuba diver). And we also had lunch at one of the restaurants, and my wife raided the souvenir and gift shops. Truly, this is a place which has something for everyone!

COST: $18. Daily 9-5. www.coralworld.com/cwvi

• Aquarium

Snorkel at Coki Beach

by vabchtraveler Updated Oct 9, 2009

Coki Beach - in front of Uncle Buddys

We disembarked from our cruise ship in Charlotte Amalie at the Havensight shops. We walked a few blocks to the taxis - safari buses - and asked the drivers congregated there where to find good snorkeling on St. Thomas (we'd already tried Magen's Bay and Sapphire Bay with little success on previous trips.) The driver had no hesitation in telling us he would take us to the great snorkeling at Coki Beach. The taxi ride was $12 one-way and was a beautiful, scenic experience. When we got to Coki Beach, however, the outer area where we were dropped off looked a little sketchy -- but not to worry, it's all just atmoshere. Wander through the merchants to the beautiful sugary white sand beach. Someone will rent you a chair for $5, or an umbrella, or snorkel gear, or sell you fish food -- whatever... The water is crystal clear and very calm. Of course, as you look across the bay you see that the water is the vivid blues, greens, teals that we all love about the Caribbean. At the right end of the beach, as you face the water, you can walk out just a little and be surrounded by fish - sergeants majors and parrotfish for sure - waiting to be fed. The snorkeling is easy and the fish are abundant in this area. Back on the beach, there are lots of nice, friendly (not pushy) waiters walking the beach and taking orders for the eateries there. We had conch fritters from Uncle Buddys and were very pleased. This is not a well publicized beach but if you read Trip Advisor, Cruise Critic, and/or Virtual Tourist, you'll find that most of the folks who find it are crazy about it.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

St. Thomas SKYRIDE & Paradise Point

by charlesracine Updated Sep 7, 2010

View from Paradise Point at top of SKYRIDE

The St. Thomas SKYRIDE provides an excellent and beautiful view of the harbor. The view at dust is superb with all of the city and harbor lights, see the photo. The ride could be considered pricey but, we thought it was worth it. Be sure to try a "Bushwhackers’" a drink with Baileys, Kahlua and a couple of other ingredients and you can buy an interesting souvenir mug.

• Cruise

• Kayaking eco-tour

by Des64 Written Jun 16, 2006

We did a 2-1/2 hour eco-tour.....was very enjoyable. We are not experienced kayakers, and we did fine. Very calm water. Kayak out to a "pond/pool" area-all protected-no powered boats, etc.. Snorkel and see some cool plant life, bottom dwelling jellies, etc. We learned a lot about mangroves, and native plants, and wildlife. The kayaking was a bit more fast paced than I had anticipated, but overall, a great experience. You can also buy a photo CD of your own trip, and a stock CD is included with over 600 pics of marine life, etc.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Kayaking

• Sailing Fun

by Des64 Written Jun 16, 2006

We traveled to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands June 2006. We booked a sunset sail with Captain Dave- Oh Be Joyful Sailing. We had a great evening (even though it rained half way through the trip!) Captain Dave was very down-to-earth and made the trip enjoyable. His faithful sailing companion is a fiesty, but friendly small dog. He also offers day sails. We had a relaxing time....oh, and he makes killer salsa! Check out www.ohbejoyfulsailing.com.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

• Great tour guide in St. Thomas !

by markporter66 Written Jul 28, 2010

Can highly recommend Henry from EEE Tours as a guide to the beautiful island of St. Thomas !

We travelled to St. Thomas in June 2010 and he was helpful, informative and took us to lots of places off the beaten track so that we could see the real island !

Henry's a retired police officer, so knows a lot about the island and it's history, had a great time !

• "Checkin out Mega Yachts"

by HarleyPyrate Written Apr 1, 2008

You may arrive by plane or by cruise ship but dont miss out on taking your family for a stroll through the marina and check out the sexy yacht action going on. Let me tell you this is no easy chore for the many workers I see that it takes to care for a yacht. They are busy polishing the brass and shining the mahogany woods early in the mornings and strangely enough they seem to never get there white sailor suits mussied up.
    Some evenings you may luck out and see a few of the sailors in town having a few doses of rum after a long hard day. They are easy to spot with there skin that looks of aged leather, a deep hearty voice telling fish stories as long as you'll listen. The Seamen are quite entertaining and never at a loss for having many jokes to tell.

• Helicopter Excursion or tour

by luv2fly Written Jan 19, 2014
    Our helicopter

Originally a bit hesitant to book because of the price, but it was SO worth it!
    The people at Caribbean Buzz are so warm and accommodating they can do just about anything. They have this list of all the tours you can do, but if there is something special they will go all out to help.

My fiance and I wanted to do something special before we got married just the two of us. This hit the spot. We got a tour and then decided to keep going to another island for lunch for the afternoon and come back. We told them we wanted to see some special spots to us along the way and did a really good job of getting us the best views! The trip was amazing, something that should be done at least once in a life. I hope to do it every time we visit!

They have a yellow or a silver helicopter. The silver one has a happy face on the bottom. I asked if we could fly in that one and they were very happy to oblige. :) The pilot was great and really could answer all our questions and had good stories about flying in the islands. If you check out their facebook page you will see they really fly a lot of cool people.

Just one thing, make sure you don't get ripped off by the cabbie bringing you there. The pilots will call you one for the way back and make sure they set the price before you get in.

• Luxury Travel

• windoweb's Profile Photo

Magens Bay Beach

by windoweb Written Mar 13, 2012

If you would like a great day at the beach in St Thomas - go to Magens Bay Beach. We went here not knowing: It is the only beach on St. Thomas that has an entry fee; funds are used to maintain the facilities and the beach.

• Cruise

Island Marketing Tour

by vabchtraveler Written Apr 11, 2012
    Beautiful Bay at Charlotte Amalie

I recently visited St. Thomas for the 4th time and I decided that I wanted to do a 'formal' tour and see some of the island that I'd previously missed. My friends and I signed up with Island Marketing for an inexpensive (less than $40) 6 hour tour. Now, it wasn't very hands-on, it was more destination delivery, but it was perfect for what I was looking. Let me start by saying that the ship was an hour late making port due to weather so we really didn't know what to expect! But, bless him, Godfrey was still there waiting for us - dressed in a most professional manner. First, we got into a nice, clean safari bus with the others and Godfrey took us to Charlotte Amalie for an hour plus of shopping, strolling, and looking around.

From town, Godfrey took us up to Mountain Top where we spent about 30 minutes overlooking the bay and looking at all the other Virgin Islands. There were great photo ops there. There was shopping there if you wanted and, of course, the famous banana daiquiri - I'm not a fan but I can say I had one! From there we stopped at an overlook or two and headed down to Magen's Bay. The weather wasn't the best but we got some time to swim and relax, and it really is beautiful. The snorkeling was a zero the day we were there, however. There's an extra $4 fee for Magen's Bay.

Godfrey picked us up and drove us back to the ship right on time. I definitely felt that we got our money's worth. I don't really need a guide to hold my hand - just show me around and let me soak up your scenery. Godfrey did provide some commentary along the way, however. Good job, Island Marketing.

• Photography

Mountain Top

by vabchtraveler Written Apr 18, 2012
    Get your Banana Daiquiri here - no thanks

Magen's Bay and lots of islands are excellently viewed from the terrace at Mountain Top. Other than that, I don't know why you'd go. The banana daiquiri was a complete zero with me -- maybe mine was just badly mixed -- but it was $9.00 and tiny, too. The store itself was extremely crowded with 'tourist stuff' -- which I don't mind, after all, I am a tourist. But, I prefer to shop the unique and I really like it if it is made on the island I'm visiting. So, I found nothing to purchase in that huge store.

• Seniors
    • Photography

Instant Answers: Saint Thomas

Comments

Saint Thomas Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Saint Thomas things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Thomas sightseeing.