Saint Thomas Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Saint Thomas

• "Kidnapped in St. Thomas"

by sk1002 Written Feb 10, 2013

Do not get on a transportation alone, stay in a group with going to and from cruise ships..... I truely believe I was being"taken" by a cab driver in a "safari bus" and fought and screamed my way and escaped after an hour ordeal that left me devistated and in great fear of my life. This incident happened recently on Jan 24, 2013 in St. Thomas. I will report it to authorities.

• davidca's Profile Photo

Beware of Island Marketing

by davidca Written Nov 29, 2011

Island Marketing is a company that sub-contracts tours and excursions from many locations in the Caribbean. On Nov.8/11 we contracted a private tour of St Thomas from them at a cost of $500.00. They contracted our tour out to VI Taxi Assoc operate who left us stranded at Megan's Bay while they ferried other groups around( despite the fact they were supposedly "safekeeping" our personal property aboard their vehicle).
    Island Marketing refuses to acknowledge my complaint or make restitution. They will not reply to my emails.........once they have your money, they could care less about the service you get......BEWARE

• Singles
    • Seniors

• "Curiosity Killed The Cat"

by HarleyPyrate Written Apr 1, 2008

Like a lot of touristy spots, there are the downfalls. My greatest disappointment by far was to see small used drug bags along the sidewalks. There is a crack cocaine problem on the main island. St.John requires boarding the ferry to get to from St.Thomas so you see less drug traffic there. Its demeanor is much more low key than St.Thomas.
    We learned early on that if you are out all day and into the evening and you happen to keep seeing the same person around you more than two times in the day then you need to be wary for its no coincidence, you are probably being followed.
    Its best to be in before midnite and avoid walking alone at all cost. If you are going to the Islands for a short stay and know that you are going for a bit of partying then be safe and stay at a hotel that has a big bar for most of them have nitelife activities. Live Bands, Local Acts etc.
    I had a blast skinny dipping in the moonlight with several other travelers to whom we knew we would never see each other again but again be wary...there are sharks in the ocean and the locals say they like to come closer to the shore in the evening if that makes any sense.
    Naturally I found this out after my moonlight serenade.
    Lastly, we were warned not to visit the Island of St.Croix which was also accessable by ferry from St.Thomas where we were told that the crime rate was very high and the friendliness towards tourists was low.

• Scooters in Virgin Islands!

by Des64 Written Jun 16, 2006

Renting a scooter looks like a fun way to see the island......don't! Driving is on the left, AND people drive a little crazy! Very fast paced. A local told us he has seen MANY LOCALS get hurt on scooters. Imagine being a visitor, not knowing the roads, and atmosphere and making a mistake! Could be fatal! BE SAFE.

• Cycling
    • Motorcycle
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Saint Thomas

Comments

Saint Thomas Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Saint Thomas warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Thomas sightseeing.