Stores, Malls or Markets in St. Thomas

by cjg1

Most Viewed Shopping in St. Thomas

Pirates in Paradise: Pirate Gear

by cjg1 Updated Dec 24, 2013

Pirates in Paradise is a small shop on the waterfront that carries Pirate themed merchandise. I am a big fan of anything Pirate so of course we always stop in.The store carried a large selection of pirate tee shirts, shot glasses, posters and other novelty items. We always find something fun to buy as a souvenir and the prices are very good.

Our last trip in 2013; we purchased the Piarte's Night Before Christmas book for our nephew. The book was hardcovered with colorful illustrations. It was a nice price as well at $22.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

House of Rajah: More gems for my wife.....

by cjg1 Updated Nov 26, 2013

A good friend of mine had recommended this store. He family has been shopping here for over twenty years and has always been more than happy. Our most recent cruise in November 2013; brought us to St. Thomas on our last port day. We decided to see out the House of Rajah and take a look for ourselves. First off, I love the fact that this is a family owned and operated business not a giant corporation with chain stores everywhere. This is the place to go for great, personal service and excellent quality.

From the minute we arrived in the shop we felt good. The owner George and his wife greated us happily and asked if there was anything in particular we were looking for. We explained how a friend recommended the shop to us and that we were just looking. Well "just looking " took an interesting turn when my wife started checking out rings. We had bought a Tanzanite here many years ago from Tanzanite International that had cracked (Tanzanite is only a 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale; so it can be rather delicate). She was shown a beautiful Tanzanite ring (AAA grade) that had a large center stone that was Emerald cut and almost three carats in size; surrounded by white diamonds in a white gold setting. Wow, from the moment she put on the ring it looked amazing and her face lit up like the sun.

My wife is on the practical side and never likes to indulge herself so it's up to me to convince her she should have something. As she oohed and ahhed over the ring with George's wife I talked to George about purchasing the ring. While we talked I asked if he had any Blue and White Diamonds earrings and I know my wife was in the market for a small pair of hoops. No problem, George appeared with a variety of earrings and my wife immediately fixated on a pair and tried them on. I thought they were small but my wife likes understated, classic pieces so I let her decide for herself.

I negotiated a good price for both the ring and the earrings with George. My wife was incredibly surprised and couldn't believe it; even when George began to size her finger for the ring. I was happy to make her very happy and give her something so beautiful. The ring took a half hour to size and while we waited they cleaned my wife's other jewelry.

We had an incredible time just talking to George and his wife (sorry I forgot her name). George's parents came here to St. Thomas and started this buisness on their own. The whole family works here and they are so nice. My wife said that George reminds her of an Indian version of Cary Grant and his wife is as stunning as a Bollywood actress (I agree she is very pretty). They are incredble nice people and my wife had alot in common with George. We spent so much time just talking to them about family that we hated to leave to go back to the boat.

If you are in the market for jewelry; come here. The selection is amazing, the service is incredible and the pieces are top notch. All the jewelry here is hand made and the stones are hand picked by George. Any piece you buy here will be the best you can find on the island; trust me, I have been in every jewelry store in St. Thomas

Caribana: Cheap Souvenirs

by cjg1 Updated Jan 26, 2012

Caribana is a souvenir shop right by the Havensight Pier(there is also a location in town). The shop has just about anything you could want for a souvenir: shot glasses, tee shirts, bathing suits, local hot sauce, liquor, hats, bags etc. We stopped in here for a few small items; a shot glass for our friend Koky and a baby tee shirt for our nephew. My wife also found a few sundress to use a beach coverups for a really low pice of $10 a piece.

This is definitely the place for inexpensive souvenirs.

What to pay: The shot galss was $2, the sundresses were $10 each and the baby tee shirt was $8.

Cariloha: Bamboo Clothes

by cjg1 Updated Jan 11, 2012

Cariloha is a shop that sells apparel and housewares made from bamboo. We have visited several of their stores throughout the Caribbean and have been happy with our purchases. I definitely wanted to stop in this store since I have several shirts and towels at home made from Bamboo. Bamboo is so soft yet strong; I love that it's cooler and more breathable than cotton. My wife loves that the bamboo towels dry quickly and are anti-bacterial.

The store had a nice selection of tee shirts, towels, bedding and other items. I managed to find a nice pair of tan colored shorts. Pricing wasn't bad at $65 for the shorts. Tee shirts usually run about $25 on average.

Captain's Corner: Souvenirs

by cjg1 Updated Jan 11, 2012

Captain's Corner is one of the many souvenir shops you'll find in Charlotte Amelie. They carry the usual tee shirts, post cards, shot glasses, magnets, picture frames, liquor, local hot sauce,rum cake, shells etc you find in most stores such as this.

We decided to stop in to see if they had any children's items. We found a cute little outfit for my wife's nephew. It was red with "Little Pirate in Training" written on it with small Pirate figures. On the Back of it by the butt was "poop Deck" written in white....very funny. The outfit was $12; very reasonable.

Azura(Now is a Little Switzerland): Jewelry Shopping

by cjg1 Updated Jan 11, 2012

Azura is now a Little Switzerland (one of the two locations in Charlotte Amelie as well as numerous locations across the Caribbean and Mexico)and is a jewelry store that has a large selection of jewelry as well as high end watches. We first discovered this store back in 2008 and have continued to visit ever since.

Our first purchase here was during our first trip to Charlotte Amelie in 2008. My wife bought me a Breitling watch at a great price. I had wanted a Breitling since I was thirteen years old. This was a dream come true. I couldn't stop smiling. The saleswoman was very nice. She threw in a Breitling hat and a tote bag to carry the watch. They even took a picture of us and gave us farewell hugs before leaving the store. This level of service and quality keeps us coming back again and again.

What to buy: Our most recent visit was in december 2011 during a Caribbean cruise. My wife wanted to find an everyday wedding band to wear to work. Angela helped us find the perfect ring and at a great price. I also found a watch for myself that I wound up not buying until we got to ST. Maarten ( i needed convincing to get yet another watch).

Liz and I (pic by the saleswoman) Me and my Breitling Can you tell I My baby in the box.....

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Effy Jeweler's: Adding to the Collection...

by cjg1 Updated Jan 10, 2012

Effy is a jewelry store with locations all over the Caribbean. My wife is a fan of their jewelry especially their Diversa collection and has several of their pieces. They carry a large selection of women’s jewelry; earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and rings. They also have men’s jewelry but selection differs from location to location.

Our last trip to St. Thomas we really were just looking and had no particular piece in mind. James saw that my wife was a fan of the Diversa collection and brought us to a display counter with some of their new items. Immediately my wife spotted a necklace; a white gold chain with a white and blue diamond star pendant. My wife is a fan of star
    and is always on the lookout for an unusual piece to add to her collection. This piece in particular was quite different with the star in the center being reversible. The star can be rotated to show a full blue diamond center or a white diamond center. After James put it on my wife’s neck; I knew it was a done deal. A little haggling later my wife had her new necklace, a new jewelry box, a garnet pendant for my niece and another jewelry connection on the island.

I have to say I am quite impressed by the quality and uniqueness of many of their pieces. I also appreciated that they knew we were return customers and took that into account when reducing the sticker price. So if you are looking for unique pieces of jewelry for that some one special; stop in to Effy and see James.

Del Sol: Color Change Items

by cjg1 Updated Jan 10, 2012

Del Sol is a chain of shops found in the Caribbean ports. They specialize in color change items: clothing, nail polish, swimwear, toys and accessories. We first discovered this shop several years ago on a cruise in St. Maarten and have continued to come back. I like their swimtrunks in particular; good fit and nice color change design down the sides. Every trip we come here to pick up some barretes, hair clips or color change nail polishes for my niece.

If you are a cruise ship passenger they have special coupons that give discounts and free gifts. Our last coupon gave us a free tote bag.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Belgian Chocolate Factory: Yummy

by grandmaR Written Apr 9, 2011

I have recently found out that there is a chocolate factory on St. Thomas.

The Belgian Chocolate Factory opened in 2006 in historical downtown Charlotte Amalie

Guests can watch as they fill the moulds with delicious goodies or they can browse the shop for other souvenirs.

What to buy: “The unanimous favorite: dark chocolate filled with a walnut ganache in the shape of a walnut.”

- Samantha Brown,
    Travel Channel Website

• travelqueen7's Profile Photo

The Tradewind Shop

by travelqueen7 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The best store I found for gifts other than t-shirts was The Tradewind Shop. Most things seemd to be hand made.

What to buy: Here they have unique gifts for everyone. Inexpensive jewelery,moderatly priced pottery, shoes, souvineirs and the list goes on.

I found the copper ordiments the best.

What to pay: They cater to all price ranges.

Copper fish I made into a shadowbox from TWS

Little Switzerland: Watches, Jewelry, Crystal and More

by cjg1 Updated Aug 3, 2010

Little Switzerland is a chain of shops with locations throughout the Caribbean, Mexico and even Key West. They carry a large selection of jewelry, watches and fine gifts such as crystal and china.

My wife and I are well acquainted with these stores and have shopped in several of their Caribbean locations (St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Grand Turk when it was open). The St. Thomas Store has a Breitling Gallery and well as a Tiffany & Co. located inside. Their prices are very reasonable and open to haggling for a better price.

Our most recent trip here my Mother was looking for some Sapphires and her fiancee was looking for a watch. We took them here to Little Switzerland knowing that the prices and selection were excellent. Hal bought a nice Tissot and a diamond and sapphire necklace for my Mother. Both items were a bargain and my Mother's necklace was outrageously low in price for a sapphire of a carat with plenty of diamonds. Both were very happy with their purchases.

The Crystal Shoppe: The Place for fine China, Crystal and Collectibles

by cjg1 Updated Aug 3, 2010

The Crystal Shoppe is my Wife's idea of heaven. The store has a large selection of LLadro, Bernardaud, Waterford, Swarovski, Bacacrat, fine China and Silver. They have several large LLadro pieces of display such as a large butterfly chandelier and a huge, colorful dragon. My wife collects LLadro, Benardaud and Waterford so she absolutely drools in this store while looking for any new and interesting pieces to bring home.

For two years now my wife has been in search of a particular piece of LLAdro without avail; a beautiful woman in a kimono with two fans and porcelain flowers in her hair. During our last trip to St. Thomas( July 2010) we walked into the shop and boom, it was there right in front of us. We were both amazed to finally have found it during our trip.

One of the sales girls Brigette was happy to wrap up the piece for us and finalize the sale. It was significantly reduced compared to the original store in New York where my wife first found the statue. Brigette also gave us a little tour of the large display pieces in the store and the actual amount of hours that goes into creating a piece.

Awesome Lladro Dragon Mermaids A Lladro Christmas Scene Hand painted Christmas Ornaments Lladro Horse

Caribana: Souvenirs, Liquor and More

by cjg1 Updated Aug 3, 2010

Caribana is one of the many stores on Main Street in Charlotte Amalie. This store is a mish mosh of items ranging from souvenir shot glasses, clothing, perfume, cosmetics, liquor, wine and Caribbean food such as rum cake.

My wife and I wandered into this shop to compare liquor prices(which were basically the same from store to store) and found an item I had been looking for for months. I had purchased a pair of shorts in Turks and Caicos during our honeymoon and loved them. I haven't been able to find them in the US but knew they were sold in resort areas throughout the Caribbean. I was thrilled to find a rack of them in assorted colors in this store. Unfortunately they only had two pairs in my size and of the same color. Regardless I purchased another pair. The shorts were $35 which was a bargain; I had paid over $50 for the original pair in Turks & Caicos.

What to buy: Wine, Champagne, hard alcohol, souvenirs, perfume, rum cake; anything you could want to bring home.

Wine Rum Tee shirts Assorted Liquors Scotch

Down Island Traders: Local Artwork

by cjg1 Updated Aug 3, 2010

The Down Island Traders is a gallery/store that sells artwork from local artists. We literally wandered into the store when a particular map on the wall caught both of our attention. Liz and I are "map" people and this shop sold some antique maps and reproductions. The store had a nice selection of sculpture, paintings, cards and even Christmas ornaments. Liz and I loved the hand painted Christmas ornaments and since we collect one from every destination we knew we had to have one of these ornaments.

What to buy: We bought an map of the Caribbean islands which was already matted and ready for framing. We also bought a Christmas Ornament that was a ball painted by a local artist.

What to pay: The Christmas Ornament was was $22 and the map was $52. The store was having a sale on prints and painting so we definitely got a good bargain on our map purchase.

Handpaintd Christmas Balls The map that fascinated us Pretty prints and paintings More island crafts The galley like structure of the store.
    • Beaches

Local Color: Island Apparel and Beachwear

by cjg1 Updated Aug 3, 2010

Local Color is located right on the Waterfront so it's impossible to miss it. The store is filled with island themed t-shirts, beach wear, hats, sandals and jewelry for men, women and children. The clothes are of good quality and come in a variety of colors. Liz and I stopped in here to peruse the merchandise and found a few items. The selection is good and there are plenty of sizes to fit everyone. The prices are affordable so it's a good place to pick up a tee shirt or two for yourself and some for friends back home.

What to buy: I bought two tee shirts for myself; a blue one with the map of the Virgin Islands and a green St. Thomas shirt. Liz bought her brother a St. Thomas shirt in green as a thank you for taking us to the airport.

What to pay: The tee shirts were surprisingly inexpensive at $24.99 each.

Plenty of Island Themed Tee SHirts Liz waiting on line The women's section Beachwear
    • Beaches

See nearby hotels
Hassel Island Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: St. Thomas

Comments

St. Thomas Shopping

Reviews and photos of St. Thomas shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for St. Thomas sightseeing.
Map of St. Thomas