Safety Tips in Caribbean and Central America

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Caribbean and Central America

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

The sun.

by Dizzyhead Written Feb 9, 2013

Well, people with not the right colour or skin, shall be very careful to stay in the sun too much. You dont want to destroy a wonderful vacation in the Caribbean the first two days because you stayed too long in the sunshine and did not protected your sensitive skin. Be careful and protect your body with sun creams. Dont be afraid of the sun, but be careful!

• Water Sports
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• stinky_hermit's Profile Photo

Vieques, PR: Save yourself

by stinky_hermit Written Dec 5, 2009

Given the cost of airfare, car rental, lodging, etc., there are many better deals in the Good Ol' USA. In conjunction with my daughter's wedding in Rincon, PR, my wife and I decided to try the picturesque beaches of Vieques Island. La Posada Vistamar is a reasonably priced if austere place to stay and the owner and staff are more than accommodating. About $75.00 per night. The Trade Winds is our choice for great food. One good thing the island has is gorgeous beaches but the enjoyment was clouded by thievery. On Blue Beach we were robbed of money, a camera, a GPS, a Bluetooth headset, and a watch while we were in the water. The thieves hide in the mangroves and hit your car for anything not traceable. At least they left our ID behind. So, add the cost of the lost items to the travel cost my choice will be Hawaii or the US southeast coast where, overall, you will get much more for your money. The merchants on Vieques need to get together and insist on some real police protection. I would post some photos but since the camera was stolen...

• Spa and Resort
    • Beaches

• rw-bigfoot's Profile Photo

Local Men touching tourist girls

by rw-bigfoot Updated Nov 20, 2008

I only write this to save someone from getting in trouble in St. Lucia

We were going to take the local mini bus which are in the market area turn left going out of the port and it's on the left. We were lied to by more than one person about were the buses were and wanted us to take their expensive taxi ride. We ended up not getting into a mini bus it was just too dangerous.

we were walking back to the ship and seen a group of young girls with a young man with them form our ship and one of the locals were feeling up her arms.
    as I passed them I said don't let him touch you that way and when I looked back to see if they moved away from him he was putting his hand up the front of her shirt!

Well I turned around and Ray seen me headed back there and Ray got it front of the BUM and he took off in a hurry and didn't wait for Ray to take his hands off her. This was so disrespectful to a woman. The young man that was with them didn't know how to treat a woman either.

SO a word if you have young girls going on a trip and even if they have a man accompanying them make sure they have respect for women, and will take care of them.
    I couldn't believe this man that was with them let this happen. This could have turned real bad fast!
    They didn't speak english so I couldn't talk with the girls but they knew where we stood on touching from men.

• Religious Travel

• garridogal's Profile Photo

SENSATION TIP - You get what you pay for

by garridogal Written Jul 13, 2008

We took the cheapest cruise Carnival had to offer. Before going I wondered how they could give us such a good deal for 5 night aboard. I now know - the food. I can honestly say that I ate nothing that was outstanding in flavor or quality. I can also say that I ate nothing that was so bad that I considered it inedible. However, by our last night, I was sick as a dawg!

Not to share too many details I'll simply say that my last Sensation dinner did not remain with me for long. And even after "getting rid" of it I still felt horrific. In fact, I spent the last night of my vacation alone in my room, on my bed, curled up in pain. I can't remember when I've felt worse.

I was tanned yet still pale greenish the next day. Not pretty.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Watch the Obvious

by BruceDunning Written Nov 7, 2007

This relates to most islands except for St. Maarten. Be aware of your surroundings, especially in crowds. There could be persons who try to take your items loosley hanging on you. Also, in more remote areas, stick with a group to not get isolated.

• featurephoto's Profile Photo

taxi's and busses

by featurephoto Written Sep 19, 2007

if you are on an island taking a bus or a taxi beware! especially if you are visiting from a cruise ship and have to be back by a certain time. the people on the islands don't always go by the same time we do... aka they can be like 3 hours late and think absolutley nothing of it. (meanwhile your ship may have left without you!) so be sure to check with the people on the ship or as you get off the island with who's reliable and who's not. or at the least be sure to tell people where you are going. we get a ride out to a gorgeous beach on one island by a very nice man... but when it came time for us to head back to the beach our driver was nowhere ot be seen. we even called him and he did not return. finally another taxi came to drop off anohter group and we were able to pay him to take us back and we made it just in time.

• Luxury Travel

• Passports needed to re-enter the USA

by BROOKS Written Aug 7, 2007

NOTICE:
    The passport requirement for US Citizens to re-enter the US from the Caribbean is changing. Please note that effective December 31, 2006 all U.S. Citizens travelling into the United States from the Caribbean must have a valid US passport.

You can apply at a local post office or immigration office.

Renewal of a U.S. Passport

You can renew by mail if: Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; you received the passport within the past 15 years; you were over age 16 when it was issued; you still have the same name, or can legally document your name change.

However,

U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through SEPTEMBER 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

• Business Travel

• garridogal's Profile Photo

SENSATION TIP - BYOCoffee

by garridogal Updated May 18, 2004

Luckily, two of my friends brought Coffee Presses with them so most of the time that's what we drank. However, every now and then, I broke down and had a cup of that "available 24 hours a day" Carnival coffee. Tastes like ASS!

• Debala's Profile Photo

I've heard of some problems in...

by Debala Written Sep 7, 2002

I've heard of some problems in Belize City, but we encountered the friendliest cab driver at the airport who took us into the city and waited for us from place to place. When I got back home and went to donate blood a few months later, I was told I was not allowed b/c Belize is a 'malerial' country, and I wouldn't be allowed to donate for a year!! However, I never heard a thing about this when I was there, and still don't know if it was true.

• Basmom's Profile Photo

From the minute that we got...

by Basmom Written Aug 26, 2002

From the minute that we got off our plane in Negril, until the time that we left, there was someone asking us if we wanted any 'ganja'. That is marijuana in Jamaica. All you have to do is to tell them, politely, no and they will let you by without bothering you anymore.

• NEVER ride in a taxi alone. I...

by Polly25 Written Aug 26, 2002

NEVER ride in a taxi alone. I was a stupid young college girl my first trip to Cancun and made a very wrong decision to meet my friends back at the hotel after this guy I met and I went running around. Needless to say it was the scariest thing I've ever done. I couldn't speak Spanish AND I didn't have enough $ to pay for the ride. The driver could have killed me and no one would have ever known.

• AnitaJRT's Profile Photo

EVEN IF you are NOT prone to...

by AnitaJRT Written Aug 26, 2002

EVEN IF you are NOT prone to sea-sickness (as I am not) the going is rough in the shipping lanes. We hit swells large enough to bring our propeller out of the water, while we were listing port to starboard.. They have a medical staff on board that will give you these great pills that really help. TAKE them before you start feeling the effects. I would say about 35% of the passengers didn't hit dinner the first couple of nights. This picture was taken after two days at sea. We were so excited about getting into the launches to swim some at this island, but the surf was too rough. Very dissappointing but the Captain couldn't control everything . . . .

• I got my bookbag opened at...

by ang8 Written Aug 25, 2002

I got my bookbag opened at SanJose in the Day 2 times. Both women, the first time they got my friends wallet, then we learned for the 2nd. BE CAREFULAT THE COCA COLA BUS STOP IN SAN JOSE AND CERTAIN AREAS. My friend lives there and I thought she knew where we were going but a cop stopped us in the middle of the day and warned us Danger!

• pollon's Profile Photo

remember that there is an hour...

by pollon Written Aug 25, 2002

remember that there is an hour difference with Mexico and you could find yourself back to the future of one hour: at the same time you left Mexico but teletransported like in Star Trek... lol...

Caribbean and Central America Hotels

702 Reviews - 2323 Photos
Grand Cayman Hotels
444 Reviews - 902 Photos

Instant Answers: Caribbean and Central America

Comments

Caribbean and Central America Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Caribbean and Central America warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Caribbean and Central America sightseeing.
Map of Caribbean and Central America

Popular Countries in Caribbean and Central America

Cuba Warnings and Dangers  Dominican Republic Warnings and Dangers  Jamaica Warnings and Dangers  Costa Rica Warnings and Dangers  The Bahamas Warnings and Dangers  Puerto Rico Warnings and Dangers  Guatemala Warnings and Dangers  Belize Warnings and Dangers  Trinidad and Tobago Warnings and Dangers  Nicaragua Warnings and Dangers  Panama Warnings and Dangers  Netherlands Antilles Warnings and Dangers  Honduras Warnings and Dangers  U. S. Virgin Islands Warnings and Dangers  El Salvador Warnings and Dangers  Cayman Islands Warnings and Dangers  Turks and Caicos Islands Warnings and Dangers  Haiti Warnings and Dangers  British Virgin Islands Warnings and Dangers  Barbados Warnings and Dangers  Aruba Warnings and Dangers  Saint Lucia Warnings and Dangers  Guadeloupe Warnings and Dangers  Antigua and Barbuda Warnings and Dangers  Grenada Warnings and Dangers  Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Warnings and Dangers  Saint Kitts and Nevis Warnings and Dangers  Dominica Warnings and Dangers  Martinique Warnings and Dangers  Anguilla Warnings and Dangers

More Countries in Caribbean and Central America