Gjirokaster Restaurants

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Restaurant Gjoca: Friendly Family Restaurant

by Jetgirly Written Sep 9, 2012

Salad at Restaurant Gjoca, Gjirokastra

I have a terrible feeling that "Gjoca" might just mean restaurant, and I've called this place Restaurant Restaurant, but that was the only distinguishable word on the sign outside the restaurant in which I dined in Gjirokastra. Run by a friendly husband and wife team, this restaurant accommodated my vegetarianism with a truly delicious salad and fresh bread. As a treat, I was also given a free plate heaping with fresh watermelon slices for dessert! They had a big menu of traditional Albanian dishes, and I believe they had a few daily specials based on what was fresh. This is the kind of place where I would trust the staff to "bring me something good"! There are a few tiny tables outside on the street, though I dined inside where it was cool and dark.

• Bar Kerculla: The Characteristic Bar Restaurant

by BarKerculla Written Jul 13, 2011

Bar- Restaurant “Kerculla” is located on top of one of the hills of this magical town, even above the age long castle level. From this beauty spot the tourist has the possibility to set eyes on and admire the museum city, the magnificent castle, the Drino valley, the region of Lunxheria and at the same time relax in the rich greenery of grass and trees all around and the fresh air.The splendid restaurant offers and extensive choice of menu both traditional and speciality with a choice range of wines, spirits and beers as well.The interior of the restaurant will surprise you with the characteristic “oda” (room) where business and official meetings, workshops and family occasions etc. can be held.Music and internet connection will also be available. Every Friday, at 2030 the Karaoke organized in the longue attracts an altogether different clientele enjoying endless nights singing karaoke and joining in the fun.

• Castles and Palaces

• vivavino's Profile Photo

"Viva Vino" wine bar: The best wines in the city

by vivavino Written Jul 21, 2010

The rich bar

The first bar of this kind in the Gjirokastra, built at the center of the city has the honor to serve you the best quality wines in the city. The original design and master way in the serving of the wine let the visitors to feel the flavor and aroma of our wines in all their depth.

• Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Restaurant Fantasia: Restaurant Fantasia

by JLBG Written Jun 17, 2009

Restaurant Fantasia

Restaurant Fantasia is a large restaurant standing at Shesti I Çerçizit with an outstanding view on the city. We had a bier and did not try their Italian cooking but there were plenty of local customers.

In front of Fantasia, a wide flat space allows to park easily, which is not the usual in Gjirokaster. Obviously, this place was not designed for parking. It can be seen from everywhere in the town. On the ground, the remains of a circular monument can still be seen. On the photo, it is on the foreground (sorry, the picture is not very good as it was shot at dusk). I suspect that this was a monument to celebrate either the Communist party or its beloved leader, Comrade Enver Hoxha but this is pure speculation. Anybody knows ?

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Restaurant Festivali: Restaurant Festivali

by JLBG Written Aug 18, 2007

Restaurant Festivali

Restaurant Festivali is a family run restaurant at the lowest end of Pazari Ivjeter, just outside Çerçiz Topulli square. The outside does not look great and we were the only customers but the food is great. I warmly advice Gjirokastra visitors to check it.

I took a photo of the notice that presented the restaurant and a photo of the menu but unluckily (which happens me very seldom), the photo failed and was blurred because it was not lit enough. So, sorry if I have not the Albanian name of each dish!

The second photo shows on the left a dish made with yoghurt and cucumber, very close to the Greek tzatziki. On the right, a yummy stew with mutton tripes.

The third photo shows an excellent dish with frogs legs roasted with a sauce with aromatic herbs.
    The red wine was excellent;
    They had several other traditional Albanians dishes but we had only one meal there and could not taste everything. We will comeback!

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

Kej Hej: Pretty much the only thing...

by mikey_e Written Jul 8, 2007

Interior of Kej Hej

This is pretty much the only Western restaurant/eatery/café that I remember seeing along the main road from Kakavijë to Gjirokaster (of course, there are other things if you drive into the small towns along the road). The entire establishment was quite new, although they seemed to be complaining that no one was coming, despite their massive flatscreen TV beaming in Italian satellite channels. The staff was excited to speak English to me but became a bit disillusioned when I told them I was actually from Canada, not the US. That was a rather odd feeling for being in Europe. The food here is entirely local cuisine and the restaurant itself is meant to be a bit of a tourist spot for those who want to experience "authentic Albanian culture" without driving into the backwoods. I used the washroom here and I feel I have to say that this was one of the cleanest, most modern washrooms I have ever used: they even had an automatic soap dispenser! It was better than in Greece!

Favorite Dish: We only had coffee here, but the waiter and my driver had a heated discussion about the menu (the waiter insisting on how reasonable everything was) so I was able to see that a wide variety of meat dishes as well as salads are available.

• illumina's Profile Photo

Prince: Large Groups Welcome!

by illumina Written Apr 20, 2006

This restaurant is just outside Gjirokastra; at the bottom of the hill, on the main road to Ioanina. It's a very friendly, welcoming place, happy to cater for large groups (including a coach full of very hungry archaeologists!). They serve fairly usual, local fare, such as seafood and lamb. I remember the food being very good indeed.

Instant Answers: Gjirokaster

Comments

Gjirokaster Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gjirokaster restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gjirokaster sightseeing.