Korce Local Customs

• JLBG's Profile Photo

I love Çameria !

by JLBG Updated Jun 7, 2011

I love ��ameria !

The I love Çameria painting is found everywhere in southern Albania! Chameria in English is named Çameria in Albanian and Tsamouria in Greek. It refers to the territory inhabited by the Chams but has a political meaning and is used almost excusively by the Albanians.

Chams were Albanian speaking populations, mostly from coastal south western Albania that settled in Epirus (Greece) during the late Middle Ages. After WWI, following the Balkan wars, most of those that had remained Christian Orthodox remained in Greece where they are not considered as a minority while those that had converted to Islam were expelled to Albania and lost their properties.

The "I love Çameria" poster refers to that situation but I will not write more about it as it is a hot political issue.

• JLBG's Profile Photo

by JLBG Written Jun 7, 2011

Cattle market

A few kilometers after we took the road for Turan and Voskopojë, the small road was almost blocked by a (small) crowd of men, cattle, cars and carts. We soon realized that this was a wild cattle market in the middle of nowhere, in a place where the road happened to have wide banks. As we could only go on very slowly, that was an opportunity to take photos of the various animals on sale and to the people bargaining. More photos in my travelogue “cattle market on the Voskopojë road”

Instant Answers: Korce

Comments

Korce Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Korce local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Korce sightseeing.