Kruje Local Customs

Tru viçi me garniture

Most Recent Local Customs in Kruje

Qofte me garniture

The photo was also taken at Restaurant Belvedere and shows “Qofte me garniture” (Fried Meatballs). Ground meat is added with chopped onions, parsley, chopped feta cheese, bread crumbs. It is formed either as meatballs and seasoned with salt, pepper, mint and oregano. It is cooked in olive oil. Yummy! We paid 450 lek

Tru viçi me garniture

Tru vi��i me garniture

The photo, taken at Restaurant Belvedere, shows “tru viçi me garniture”, a dish made with grilled slices of veal brain, served with fried potatoes and full garniture (tomatoes, onions, cucumber, olives, beans, xhaxhik). It was excellent and we paid 550 lek

Tave Dheu

Tave Dheu

The photo, taken at Restaurant Belvedere, shows Tave Dheu, a dish very popular in central Albania. It is a very tasty dish made with chopped liver baked in a sauce made with lamb cheese (almost the same as Greek feta), eggs and yogurt. It was excellent and we paid 200 lek.

Kruja, an old lady

The old lady on the left does not really wear true traditional clothing but this is the casual wear of middle-aged women in the villages. The traditional clothing for celebrations, special in each part of the country is more fancy. It can be seen only on the occasions of either celebrations or shows of dances and songs.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Gjergj Kastrioti Skenderbeg

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 21, 2006

Gjergj Kastrioti Skenderbeg

Gjergj Kastrioti Skenderbeg, the national hero, was born in Kruja and was the son of Gjon Kastrioti, lord of Middle Albania. he was kidnapped as a child by the Ottomans and attended military school in the Ottoman Empire - there he became a well-known officer of the Ottoman army and was named Iskander Bey (Lord Alexander).

In 1443 he abandoned the Ottoman Army and went to Kruja, his father's seat in middle Albania, where he raised the Albanian flag. He then succeeded in uniting all Albanian princes and under his command they started their fight against the Turks.

24 times the Ottomans tried to conquer Kruje, and 24 times they failed. Recognising his great skills, four Popes and several Kings supported Skerderbeg (a Christian) with money, supplies, military equipment and troops in the hope to stop the Ottoman power. For about a quarter of a century he prevented the Turks from invading Catholic Western Europe.

Instant Answers: Kruje

Comments

Kruje Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Kruje local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kruje sightseeing.