Bajram Curri Travel Guide

mario molla boat at fierza
    lake koman view
    swimming at shala river

Bajram Curri Things to Do

by mpaulsen007 Written Jun 17, 2006

In my opinion, Bajram Curri's main attraction is the ferry ride on Lake Komani. It is a two hour journey through unspoiled and breathtaking scenery quite likely without peer elsewhere in Albania. Get up early to go; the minibusses leave at 6:00 A.M. There will be several busses available going to Tirana. The trip from Bajram Curri to Tirana cost 1,000 lek which included the fare for the ferry. It took almost 8 hours, but that included replacing a flat tire. If you are anywhere in the general vicinity, this is not to be missed.

Bajram Curri Hotels

Bajram Curri Restaurants

by mpaulsen007 Written Jun 29, 2006

Spending only one evening in Bajram Curri, one has only a short time to explore, thus I have but one thing to say regarding cuisine in the town. Being a fair bit knackered after the journey from Gjakova, I took a nap at the hotel, and awoke around 19:30 hungry. I hadn't changed any Euros into Lek before my siesta, and anyone who has been through the town knows how likely finding a place to change money is, at that hour on a week-end. At any rate, with my stomach yelling at me, I sallied forth in search of sustenance. Restaurants certainly do not abound in this mountain village, though I did find a small shop selling pizzas and pastries. I asked for a pizza and the man behind the counter replied that it would be 200 Lek, but I had no Lek, only Euros, which I humbly conveyed to the proprietor. In sign language / etc. he conveyed that they would not accept Euros. When he realized that I had no Lek, he gave me the pizza for free, accepting no payment whatsoever, regardless of my efforts to the contrary. A stark ccontrast to western society from a small business owner in the most extreme of hard-scrabble existences, and a beacon of the over all travel experience I had while in Abania.

Bajram Curri Transportation

• rizalrazi's Profile Photo

by rizalrazi Written Aug 13, 2014

The best and most scenic way to go to Shkoder from Bajram Curri is of course the ferry (passengers only, no cars) traversing Lake Koman. The ferry departs from Fierza, a 20 mins drive away. If you miss the mini bus, there are taxis available, about Euro 10 min. I traveled with two other persons, hence was only charged Euro 5 per head.

The ferry leave Fierza very early at 6am to Koman, and returning at 9am. The boat journey is 2 hours. If you are not a morning person like me, there is an option to take an afternoon boat organized by Mario Molla, departing 13:30, Euro 10 which include a swimming excursion in Shala river. You can also pay him another Euro 5 to take you from Koman to Shkoder by road. All in all, the afternoon boat cost Euro 15.

mario molla boat at fierza lake koman view swimming at shala river
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

• rizalrazi's Profile Photo

by rizalrazi Written Aug 13, 2014

To get to Bajram Curri from Kosovo, you have to take the mini bus from Gjakove. The mini bus waiting area is about 5 mins drive away from Gjakove bus station. The taxi cost 1 euro. I took the last bus, which left at 2 pm. The bus did stop at the main bus station to pick up a passenger, but i did not know whether it was pre-arranged as no one spoke english :).

The journey itself took about 2 hours, passing through one Kosovo border post. There is no Albanian border post. The view of the Kosovar & Albanian countryside was magnificent! The road was in good condition.

The mini bus ride cost me only Albanian Lek 300.

• Photography
    • National/State Park

• Bajram Curri Hotels

1 Hotels in Bajram Curri

Bajram Curri What to Pack

by mpaulsen007 Written Jun 3, 2006

Miscellaneous: Bring a flashlight. Though the power never went out, at least whilst I was awake; the hotel had no lights in the hall or stairwell after dark. It can tend to be a long walk back to the room after too much raki. I was all to happy to have a flashlight for my return trip.

Bajram Curri Off The Beaten Path

by mpaulsen007 Written Jun 3, 2006

The entire location is off the beaten path. Stray dogs abound, though I had one epiphany upon the discovery of these cheese doodles. Even the hungry stray dogs won't eat them. Wake up call, indeed, for all of us big-bellied westerners!

Instant Answers: Bajram Curri

Comments

Bajram Curri Travel Guide
Map of Bajram Curri