Vlore Things to Do

by STARS_731

Most Recent Things to Do in Vlore

by JLBG Updated Sep 15, 2009

Looking for Pulbardha 2 restaurant

Suela mentioned that Pulbardha 2 restaurant had excellent seafood and that she had a fresh (living) lobster. That was enough to forecast a visit to Pulbardha when we would be in Vlorë. Moreover, call_me_rhia wrote that she had the best sea food ever! Suela wrote that it was close to Riviera Trade Center and call_me_rhia that it was not easy to find. They were both right!

We found easily the Riviera Trade Center, at the street crossing (large roundabout) of Sadik Zotaj avenue and Perlat Rexhepi avenue. We parked on the south side of Riviera Trade Center and while we were feeding our little dog, a nice young lady with a 10 years old stopped by and wanted to practice her English. We chatted for a few minutes and as she lived in Vlorë, I asked her where was Pulbardha restaurant. She answered “I don’t know but I can lead you to a very good restaurant”. I said, no thank you, we want to go to Pulbardha and nowhere else! She left and we began to walk along the Riviera Trade Center. At one point, there was a warden in a uniform and we thought he should know. He answered “this is not here but on the seafront, etc…”, which was obviously the other Pulbardha that Suela had mentioned to me.

We resumed walking along the Riviera Trade Center, now on Sadik Zotaj avenue, looking very carefully to each sign and window. No Pulbardha and that was not anymore the Riviera Trade Center (photo 1).

We had to walk back as it HAD to be there. We had to try another time to ask someone, but to whom. Youngsters of student age? No: Suela mentioned it was more expensive than average, they should not know. Housewife going back home with vegetables and fruits ? No: she does not look like going to a restaurant. A good looking man in his fifties/sixties, businessman type ? This one might be a good choice ! He anwered “I feel I have heard about this place and it should be somewhere around, let us look. Here it is” (photo 2)
    The alley leading to Pulbardha is on photo 2 but I bet that you have not seen its sign on the far right!

Photo 3 shows it better and photo 4 is a close up. The sign is a board made of dark wood with yellowish letters. Not flashy at all!

Vlora, Perlat Rexhepi avenue

by JLBG Updated Jul 15, 2009

Vlora, Perlat Rexhepi avenue

The main avenue, Perlat Rexhepi, leading to the seaside, is impressive by its width. It is lined with palm trees. On both sides, new buildings have mushroomed. Some are already finished (photo 2 and 3 and are brightly colored. Others are just a frame (photos 4 and 5). All of them have an interesting architecture. The time of massive grey blocks is now long gone!

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Vlora, an ancient house that needs some repairs

by JLBG Updated Jul 13, 2009

Ancient house that needs repairs (2007)

This ancient, two levels house stands on Perlat Rexhepi avenue in front of Xhamia e Muradies (photo 1 in 2007). Though not in good condition, it has a pleasant Balkanic style. On the second photo, I have made an enlargement of the first level with a row of elegant columns and arched windows.

Photo 3. Once home, I discovered that in 1988, I had already been impressed by this house and had taken a photo. It allows to see that it was then in better condition and that the two windows near the corner were not walled. I hope that in a near future it will be revamped.

Photo 4 and 5. On our 2009 passage, I was sad to find that since 2007, its condition was worse. It will soon be a ruin! Too bad!

by JLBG Written Jul 13, 2009

Looking for Pulbardha 2 restaurant

We found easily the Riviera Trade Center, at the street crossing (large roundabout) of Sadik Zotaj avenue and Perlat Rexhepi avenue. We parked on the south side of Riviera Trade Center and while we were feeding our little dog, a nice young lady with a 10 years old stopped by and wanted to practice her English. We chatted for a few minutes and as she lived in Vlorë, I asked her where was Pulbardha restaurant. Sha answered “I don’t know but I can lead you to a very good restaurant”. I said, no thank you, we want to go to Pulbardha and nowhere else!. She left and we began to walk along the Riviera Trade Center. At one point, there was a warden in a uniform and we thought he should know. He answered “this is not here but on the seafront, etc…”, which was obviously the other Pulbardha that Suela had mentioned to me.

We had to walk back as it HAD to be there. We had to try another time to ask someone, but to whom. Youngsters of student age? no Suela mentioned it was more expensive than average, they should not know. Housewife going back home with vegetables and fruits ? No, she does not look like going to a restaurant. A good looking man in his fifties/sixties, businessman type ? This one might be a good choice ! He anwered “I feel I have heard about this place and it should be somewhere around, let us look. Here it is” (photo 2)

by JLBG Written Jul 13, 2009

Riviera Trade Center

The Riviera Trade Center stands at the street crossing (large roundabout) of Sadik Zotaj avenue and an avenue named Perlat Rexhepi avenue eastwards and Sodës avenue westwards. It is seen here from the south. Pulbardha restaurant is hidden on the other side of the building.

Vlora, flag monument, 6 prominent personalities

Vlora, flag monument, 6 prominent personalities

The monument was built in 1972 and the author is the Albanian sculptor Mumtas Dhrami. Among the 6 prominent personalities of the independence of Albania represented on the monument, Isa Boletini stands on the left. Ismaïl Qemal Beg, that lead the 1912 alnding in Vlora should be the one on top of the group (not the Flag holder)

Vlora, flag monument

Vlora, flag monument

The Flag monument is a huge monument in the middle of a square that has been built around it. The intro photo with our little dog sitting near the foot of one of the fighters gives an idea of its size. It represents various figures of the struggle for independence of Albania with on top of a rock a man holding a flag, the first Albanian flag that was ever waved on the city and on the country, on November 28th 1912 when 83 delegates from all over Albania declared independence of the country.

Vlora, great man!

Vlora, great man!

This statue seems at first sight to be a remnant of the Enver Hoxha era. However, at second look, it seems to be older and the clothing of the man tells that it should be linked with the struggles for independence of Albania. The strange thing is that it is unnamed. Who is that ? Anybody knows ?

Vlora, an amazing house

Vlora, an amazing house

This small house stands along the avenue between Flag square and Muradi Mosqe. It design itself is amazing and can hardly be labeled of any particular style. What is even more amazing is that it front is entirely made of polished stones of various colors as can be seen on the second photo, an enlargement.

Vlora, ancient house that does not need any repair

Vlora, ancient house that does not need any repair

This ancient house was built at the end of the XIXth or at the beginning of the XXth in a very different style. It stands on Flag square and looks wealthy, in excellent condition with a golden decor. On the front, it says “SKT Banka Kombetare Tregtare”… A bank! That explains why it is in such a good condition! I hope a bank will settle in the hose on the previous tip to mend it!

Vlora, Xhamia e Muradies

Vlora, Xhamia e Muradies

Muradi Mosqe (Xhamia e Muradies) was built in 1542 by the Sinan, a great Albania born architect that built numerous buildings in the whole Ottoman Empire. It is situated at a major crossroad, at the summit of the main avenue and close to Flag Square. It mixes pleasantly brick and stone.

• Religious Travel

Vlora from the south

Vlora from the south

When driving from the south, the bay of Vlora (Gjiri i Vlorës) suddenly appears at the bend of the road with a sea front lined with a forest of 8-10 levels buildings. From the distance, they look brand new. Once in town, they are indeed new and many of them still building.

theatre petro marko

by call_me_rhia Updated Aug 15, 2006

Theatre Petro Marko is a gracious red and white builòding which looks totally out of place in the city's context - and yet not only it exists, but it also has a fine reputation at home as well as abroad. The name is in honour of a great local playwriter.

Its theatre company is often invited at prestigious theatre festivals in Italy - it does not only perform modern and classic plays internationally known, but also works from Albanian authors such as Agolli, Kadare, Hysi.

The Mosque of Muradie

The Mosque of Muradie

The Mosque of Muradie, built in 1542, is possibly the oldest and most beautiful building in the city. A local belief says that this mosque, in red and white stone, was designed by the architect Sinan Pasha, on the orders of the mighty Sultan Sulejman. This would have happened when he was in Vlora, preparing a naval expedition against nearby Italy.

When the communist regime closed down all mosques and churches in 1967,the mosque changed function (fortunately it was not destroyed) and it became the museum of architecture of the city and district.

the port

by call_me_rhia Updated Aug 15, 2006

Vlora is Albania's second largest port (after Durres) and although it can not be visited, it's impossible not to see the ships docked, there. The city also has a well-protected fishing harbour called Triport.

It is not as rough as it used to be in the past, mainly because people leaving the port on board zodiacs to make the illegal crossing into italy has been moved elsewhere - apparently north of town.

It's not the best sight in town (in fact it's the ugliest) but it's the most prominent one nevertheless

Instant Answers: Vlore

• Sep 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Some very helpful answers and suggestions here! Thanks a lot guys! I will Visit Vlora in a couple of weeks with my wife. Im looking forward to it. An other helpful site is also www.visitvlora.com I found some nice tips there as well.
    Cheers,

Alan

Vlore Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Vlore things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vlore sightseeing.