Klagenfurt Warnings and Dangers

• balhannah's Profile Photo

OBIR CAVES

by balhannah Updated Aug 29, 2013

On the way

The Obir Dripstone Caves are located at Eisenkappel-Vellach where mines once flourished. We enjoyed our journey through pretty farming country to the small town where we located the Tourist Information Centre.
    I went to book, and found the Tour was completely booked out, nearly all the seats taken by a large tour group. It was quite a long wait until the next tour, so disappointed we had wasted our time, we headed off!

The Obir dripstone caves can only be visited on a guided tour, the Bus transfer, entrance and the guide are included in the entrance price.

We had our own car, but Access by private vehicle is not possible
    Buses run regularly from the ticket office on the main square to the entrance to the caves.

Might pay to check the website and ring before making the journey, maybe Klagenfurt Info Centre might help.

Adults: EUR 20 euros
    With Karten Card - FREE

• antistar's Profile Photo

Hidden Tourist Information Office

by antistar Written Jun 27, 2004

Rathaus, Klagenfurt

If you are a lost tourist wanting some information on how to get about Klagenfurt, then you are going to have to find the tourist information office first, which is a catch 22 situation in this town. I don't think whoever planned the town of Klagenfurt ever envisaged that all that many tourists would come to the town, as that is the only reason I could find to explain why the only sign-post for the tourist information office was right outside the tourist information office. It didn't help that after two hours of wandering the city centre, the only map I could find that explained where the tourist information office was, you guessed it, in the square outside the tourist information office.

The tourist information office itself is very useful, and can book you rooms for free, give you free information and maps on the town and its sights, and give you help and timetables for the buses, all in perfect English. I only found it after asking a post man, who couldn't remember where it was either at first, but through a few words of English he told me "Neuer Platz" and "big house!". Finding Neuer Platz without a map wasn't easy, but at least knew it was in one of the squares. Another half an hour of frustrated walking about, I eventually found the "big house", or town hall. Hopefully this tip will save you the effort I had to put in finding the damn place!

You will find "Klagenfurt Tourismus" at the Rathaus in Neuer Platz, as I said. The Neuer Platz is a large plaza where the Lindwurm monument sits. You can get to it from the station by walking up Bahnhoffstr. and then taking a left at either Paradeiserg. or Burggasser. Once you see the big square and the "big house" you will know you are there. The tourist office is in one of the doors to the Rathaus, but there were so many I can't remember which one exactly. There was a sign on the door, so just look out for that.

• highd's Profile Photo

Going into the mountains is...

by highd Written Aug 24, 2002

Going into the mountains is very dangerous. Be careful, alsways do it with the nature - not aganist it. Turn and go back when you realise that it may be dangerous or you are not fit enough.
    Though have fun!

Instant Answers: Klagenfurt

Comments

Klagenfurt Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Klagenfurt warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Klagenfurt sightseeing.