Melk Local Customs

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Unusual Christmas decorations.

by Ekaterinburg Written Dec 21, 2006

Very different Christmas decorations

This photo I took outside a gift shop in Melk. The whole town was filled with pretty decorations but these particular reedy/twiggy ones I saw only here. Back in Vienna we saw every concievable make and shape of decorations but nothing like these. They remind me of the material used to make sugan chairs in Ireland, a traditional craft now in danger of dying out. Maybe there is a similar tradition of using this type of material in the Melk area. Either way they are absolutely charming and part of the Austrian local custom of really decorating their towns for Christmas. I've never been in a country that does Christmas as well as Austria and Melk is a good example of this custom.

• Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo

by Fam.Rauca Updated Feb 20, 2006

The iron sculptures in the Abbey Park

In the Stitspark, are to be seen some iron sculptures of the sculptor Miguel Horn.
    All these artworks are unique and realize into a special artistic manner.
    Some of these sculptures are:
    Fire devils (2002)
    Faces - masks - moppets (2000)
    Scenes from the new will (2003)

• National/State Park

• Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo

Special exhibition of the Stift Melk

by Fam.Rauca Updated Feb 20, 2006

The sculpture

Rudi Wach: Inwendig - Seismogramm der Körperseele (Inside - seismogram of the body soul)
    29 Junes 2005 to 5 November 2006
    This exhibition was erected at the beginning of area of the Abbey.
    The large-size designs and the 2,40m high sculpture "Pre the fall", is to be viewed, in the column area, in the prelate yard.
    We have admires, this splendid designs, marble and bronze sculptures, in the summer 2005.
    The continuation of this exhibition it is in the Marble Hall, library and St. Coloman’s Courtyard.

• Museum Visits
    • Festivals

Local liveries

by socrates_07 Written Sep 28, 2003

Once a friend from overseas told me that he doesn't know a lot about Austria. But as he know they people wear funny clothes? I was a little bit confused. Funny clothes?? Finally I found out what he was talking about ... he thought all Austrian wear local liveries.
    Sorry for everyone else who is thinking the same. We don't do it... except for such festivals. Or sometimes in special restaurants. But you won't see kids like these in a typical Austrian street scene... ;-)

• socrates_07's Profile Photo

Local costume group dancing...

by socrates_07 Written Sep 28, 2003

and for sure I wouldn't dance. But I don't like to dance generally.
    I am afraid, I can not tell you something about the local dances but I like when they did the same movements at the same time. Especially if the dancer are so close to each other you will see very easy if someone is wrong with his/her movements.

• socrates_07's Profile Photo

Local costume group singing...

by socrates_07 Written Sep 28, 2003

At the Town Hall square there was a local music band which played folk music. I have to admit, when I drive my car I never would listen that kind of music because I don't like it. But if you visit such places it is different. (it doesn't mean that I loved it)

Melker Herbst

Melker Herbst

I have to admit, when I decided to go to Melk I didn't know that there is a festival during that weekend. It's called 'Melker Herbst". Difficult to translate, but 'Herbst' means 'Autumn'
    What happens during that weekend?
    Well, there was a festival in the old town with live music, dances, games for kids, many stalls with local specialties. I am sure you know what I am talking about....

Instant Answers: Melk

Comments

Melk Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Melk local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Melk sightseeing.