An old gypsum mine was used to make red and white plaster. In 1912 undergroundwater flooded the mine and it was abandoned. During the WW2 it was reused as the German military aircraft factory for the He 162 jet fighter( Volksjäger). Today it is the largest subterranean lake in Europe for touristic tours with a historic background.
On the upper floor is a horse stable, a room with a some parts of the plane, the warmest breakroom( 12°C) for a meal, a ballroom where miners celebrate Sta Barbara( on December the 4th), a museum, the incline ramp for boarding the motorboat. The lower floor is the Big Lake( 6200 m2) with a average depth of 1,20m, which level is maintained by pumps.
"Three Mousketiers" was filmed here.
At the entrance/ exit is a souveniershop.
The Babenberg Duke Henry of Mödling in 1182 had a Romanesque chapel built with round apse, which was dedicated to Saint Pantaleon. Today, the common name is Karner.
St. Othmar, after 69 years of building the church was completed in 1523. The high altar was donated in 1760 by Maria Theresia. Most glass windows dating from the 19th century.