Schneeberg Things to Do

• Things to Do
    by Audrey118
  • Oh, please stop, there is something for my VT page
    Oh, please stop, there is something for...
    by socrates_07
    Some ducks and some VTers...
    by socrates_07

Most Recent Things to Do in Schneeberg

• amsor's Profile Photo

Schneebergbahn

by amsor Written Nov 17, 2009

Schneebergbahn is a steep mountain-railway driving up Schneeberg and I very often was there in summertime in my childhood. I still remember well the steamtrains but nowadays there are mostly modern trains and steamtrains need to be reserved and will cost you some extra money.

• Trains

On the way to Puchberg

by socrates_07 Updated Aug 25, 2003

Oh, please stop, there is something for my VT page

How to recognize VTers. Well, I didn't meet many of them but here you can see a typical behaviour when we where on the way to Schneeberg. You will see such photos later again. As I said, if you see 2 or more person in the same possition you almost can be sure that they must be VTers.... ;-)

• socrates_07's Profile Photo

In the mountain hotel (4)

by socrates_07 Updated Aug 14, 2003

So, with this picture we got to the end of the VT meeting to Schneeberg.

I didn't take any more photos when we took the train back to Puchberg. One reason: well, check the pages of the other VT members, they took a photo of me when I had some problems eating local delicacy..... I had enough to do with it. ;-)

I hope you enjoyed this virtual trip with Sharrie, Audrey118, mel_bee and me to the hightest mountain of Lower's Austria. Thanks for joining us!!

• socrates_07's Profile Photo

In the mountain hotel (3)

by socrates_07 Written Aug 14, 2003

I like old photos and there were a lot of them in that room. Unfortunately the light was not good and with flash... well, you know what happens if you take a picture of something which is behind a pane of glass.

• socrates_07's Profile Photo

In the mountain hotel (2)

by socrates_07 Updated Aug 14, 2003

There was a big room with some people in it but we wouldn't be real VTers if we wouldn't find another room for better photos.
    This room wasn't locked but I have to admit, we didn't know if it was allowed to enter it. Well, we did... like thieves. But just for some shots.

Hi Mom!!!

calling home....

Its so great here! I am (almost) on the top of the Schneeberg! Hmm.... You don't know Lower Austria's highest mountain, mom???

Oh, no, not again, Oliver is here with his camera. That VT guy always takes picture, he even don't let me call you, mom... he is really TERRIBLE!!
    __.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__

Of course Audrey didn't call her mom but listened to some information. (Why do you think she has so many great and informative pages???)

Elisabethkircherl (2)

Elisabethkircherl

Again it took so long time to take a photo of an object. And again noone was waiting for me. But at least I can show you an almost perfect photo. ;-) The 'Elisabethkircherl' without people in front of it.

Locomotive: NÖSchBB 999.03

N��SchBB 999.03

year of construction: 1896 bis 1900
    gauge: 1000 mm
    weight: 18 tons
    lengh: 5,5 meter
    max. speed: 12km/h
    power: 147kw (200 ps)

more information at: http://www.schneebergbahn.at/ --> Zahnradbahn --> Dampflok (unfortunately just in German)

Again the SALAMANDER

Salamander

Especially when I take millions of picuture with the same object.

Length of the motor-coach train: 30.416 mm
    Weight of the motor-coach train : 41,25 t
    Weight of the prime mover: 15,25 t
    Motor power: 544 kw
    max. rotational speed: 1.800 U/min.
    max. speed:15 km/h
    Seats: 115 people

• socrates_07's Profile Photo

Finally we arrived at the top of the Schneeberg

by socrates_07 Written Aug 14, 2003

... almost the top of it. It was very windy there and as you see, the first people wanted to go downhill.

But most of us were on the way to take photos. When I turned back I found myself alone. Hmmm... well, I have to admit, if I take a photo it aways take a quite long time. So I understand that others can't wait that long time.

The Wooden Cross Atop the Mountain top

by Audrey118 Written Aug 11, 2003

The cross is called Hohen Wand....

VTer mel_bee said she was there once when it was snowing and she tried to climb up to the cross and kept sliding down....but it is such an easy task during the summer!!!

Little Chapel~commemorative slab

by Audrey118 Updated Jul 30, 2003

Elsabeth Memorial Church

VTer weissdorn very kindly translated the wordings on the slab and here it goes....

St. Elisabeth Memorial Church
    Built from 1900 – 1901
    Im memorial of the Empress Elisabeth of Austria murdered in Geneva on September 10, 1898.

Church Planer
    Architect Rudolf Goebl
    Founded, remodeled and restored by
    the Lower Austrian Economic Association
    during the years 1955-1957

LIttle Chapel Overlooking the Valley

by Audrey118 Updated Jul 30, 2003

little chapel ontop of the mountain

There is a nice quiant little chapel which overlooks the Krummbach valley below.

Austrian Emperor Franz Josef used to frequent this mountain resort in his private wagon. The memory of Franz Josef's wife "Sisi", who was assassinated shortly after the railway was opened, is honoured in this mountain top Elisabeth Chapel.

But on other hand, while I was at the foyer of the church entrance, there is this phone looking gadget and you put in 50 cents euro and press English you get to listen to one helluva information. It is said that the building structure was originally intended to be for weather monitoring house, but becos they ran out of money, the project was abandoned...and then somehow it became this chapel!!!

Schneeberg~valley and alpine meadows

by Audrey118 Updated Jul 11, 2003

scenic view

It is a popular mountain resort for all kinds of people with different interests. I guess we were just the touristy kind, while we saw 'healthy' people tracking up or down (you can buy a one way ticket on the train) - you can wave at them (many have special walking equipments), then there are people who go around spotting wild flora, or birds etc....

Schneeberg - inside the train

by Audrey118 Updated Jul 11, 2003

VTers on the schneebergbahn

The tickets have seat numbers...but most people are not aware of it. everybody just ran up like herds of cows!!! and grabbed their supposedly best seats. We were the obedient ones and hehehehe we disciplined others to get to their seats. But when the train started to chugged along...we sort of walk around the train...to the left and to the right, to the door...etc... trying to ABSORB the best view of the alpine meadows.

Instant Answers: Schneeberg

Comments

Schneeberg Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Schneeberg things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Schneeberg sightseeing.