The weather on top of Schafberg mountain is very unpredictable. It may be sunny and warm at the bottom of the mountain, but can be windy and cold up there because it is 1783 metres above sea level. Also, the clouds can gather quickly especially in the afternoon and during the warm summer time, so visibility can decrease quickly (this can cause problem when you are trekking). When I was trekking there in June 2007, the clouds did come in quickly but lucky I managed to go down in time to avoid the cloud line.
Trekking at Schafberg is rather simple and should take about 2 hours at a leisurely pace from the Schafberg top train station down to the Schafbergalpe middle slope station.
However, there are a few things you need to take note:
- Weather can be cold, windy and wet, so do be prepared. Also, bring along water and protect against the strong sunlight.
- The area can be covered with clouds so visibility can become low sometimes.
- Follow the trail and markings, do not move away or you may get lost. Many people do trekking here so you are not alone.
- The path can get rocky sometimes, so be careful where you are stepping.
- One part of the trek involves crossing of the railway track, keep a lookout for the trains and please wait when the safety barrier is lowered.
For the most part, the hiking that you'll do up here involves gradual slopes (although they can be difficult after a few hundred meters or so). However, there are occasional steep slopes, cliffs and jagged edges, so beware and watch your step.
Another thing that you should watch out for is the altitude. While it's certainly not the Himalayas, if you're not used to these heights, all of the hiking can lead to some dizziness and shortness of breath, so take it easy up there.
Whether your at Schafberg for the view or on a hiking trip, be aware of the weather. At this altitude, bad weather can approach very quickly as occurred with us. Within minutes, a cloud had completely engulfed the summit and began to drop rain on us that felt more like sleet. Visibility was very poor and it got really cold. Be prepared with some warm, dry clothes in case the weather does not cooperate.