Know about this? Rate It!
Stonehenge mixed with the Virgin Mary
Next to the pilgrimage church in Grossgmain there is a very special garden. It's called Mariengarten, garden dedicated to Mary. However, this garden combines the Catholic belief in Mary with the belief of the old religions in nature. It was done with respect to the zodiac, to the setting of the planets at the time of planting. Stones are arranged in a circle, with a large standing stone. This stone is supposed to be from an old mythical place.
The garden looks like the number 8.
It is a very interesting garden and as far as I know the only place in which Catholic and older,non-Christian beliefs are combined. A bit like a mixture of Stonehenge and a church.
If you have the chance, go and see it.
The website is in German only, but you get an idea of what it looks like.
- Women's Travel
- Religious Travel
A Pilgrimage Church
One of the suburbs of Salzburg is the village of Grossgmain. It's a nice village with a beautiful church, dedicated to Mary. It's a pilgrimage church, as it is believed that Mary has done miracles there and healed people.
From the outside the church looks like many other village churches in the Alps, but the inside is spectacular. Absolutely worth a visit there.
Sometimes there are small paintings and inscriptions on display, about the miracles Mary is said to have done. These plates were done in the year 1513 and are the oldest of their kind in the area.
- Religious Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Salzburg Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Southern Thailand Hotels
- Genneper Parken Hotels
- Monkey Island Hotels
- High Cliff State Park Hotels
- Kota Kinabalu
- Los Angeles Off The Beaten Path
- Rome Off The Beaten Path
- Honolulu Off The Beaten Path
- Hawaii (Big Island) Off The Beaten Path
- Chiang Mai Off The Beaten Path
- New Orleans Off The Beaten Path
- Kansas City Off The Beaten Path
- South Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Madrid Off The Beaten Path
- Florence Off The Beaten Path
- Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path