Traditional/Local Food, Salzburg

• Penelope4's Profile Photo

Cafe Mozart: Salzburgernockerl

by Penelope4 Updated Apr 21, 2013

Salzburgernockerl

I have been to Cafe Mozart for lunch. The food was excellent, Mozart Cafe was delicious and before I knew it, I can't order Salzburger Nockerl anymore because I was so full. Of course I returned the next day and had it then. Was soooo good!

Favorite Dish: Cafe Mozart has daily menu to offer. One does not have to wait long. I've had a small portion of Wiener Schnitzel. It was very good!

I'd go again to Cafe Mozart just to see people enjoy their Salzburger Nockerl while I sip my Mozart Cafe!

• balhannah's Profile Photo

KK RESTAURANT: GOOD MEAL

by balhannah Written Aug 13, 2012

The K + K Restaurant is located on Waagplatz.
    The Restaurant is located in a heritage listed town house in the historic Old Town, but as it was a nice sunny day, we chose to eat outdoors under the Umbrella's.

Both of us were happy with our meals, and with the price which we thought was quite reasonable for Salzburg.

Some of their meals are...pork meat with freshly grated horseradish and caraway potatoes € 11.50
    Chanterelle stew with sour cream and noodles € 10.00
    Grilled white fish with basil sauce € 12.50

There is a menu board which we had a look at before we took a seat. What a lovely location it was to wait for our meals!

• black_mimi99's Profile Photo

Cafe Tomaselli: In the Old Town

by black_mimi99 Written May 2, 2012

Cafe Tomaselli

Founded in 1703, the Tomaselli on Alter Markt Square is the T-Rex in the Jurassic Park of Caffeine. The man himself, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, had coffee there and so did generations of local and international artists such as Max Reinhardt, Michael Haydn or Hugo von Hoffmannsthal. The classy interiors are worth a visit and so is the coffee.

This cafe in the old town and so easily to find it...

• Architecture

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Cafe Mozart: Salzburger Nockerl at Cafe Mozart

by SWFC_Fan Written Mar 14, 2012

Cafe Mozart, Salzburg

You will find references to Salzburg's most famous son, composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, everywhere you look in the city. And so it was that my girlfriend and I found ourselves in Cafe Mozart during our visit to the city in December 2010.

Given its name, and the fact that it is located just metres from Mozart's birthplace on Getreidegasse (a pedestrianised shopping street in the heart of the city), we expected it to be a somewhat pricy and tourist-oriented place. It was certainly very popular. We passed through several rooms with full tables before, thanks to fortunate timing, we scored ourselves a recently vacated table for two in a small room adjoining two larger rooms upstairs. It was practically a corridor with a few tables squeezed in, clearly peripheral to the main dining rooms, but it was all that was available so we took to our seats.

There was only one reason why we were visiting Cafe Mozart. Earlier that morning, on the train from Munich, we had met a local lady who insisted that we must try the local speciality – Salzburger Nockerl (an egg and sugar based sweet souffle) – during our stay in the city. We had seen this local dessert pictured on a menu board outside on the street in front of the cafe, so decided we should call in and give it a try. We'd seen it advertised outside other cafes in the city too, but the price was similar in all of them, and the 10.50 Euros price at Cafe Mozart was actually cheaper than in many other places we'd seen.

The lady who recommended that we try Salzburger Nockerl had also stressed to us, a number of times, that we should share one between the two of us; we wouldn't be able to eat a whole one each! At 10.50 Euros a go, there was no danger of us ordering one each anyway! In fact, the menu stated that one Salzburger Nockerl served two people. It also stated that there was a 20 minute wait when ordering one (since they are freshly prepared).

We sipped slowly at our drinks while waiting for the Salzburger Nockerl to be prepared. Emma opted for a Sprite (quite pricy at 2.80 Euros for a glass) and I tried the local Mozart Bier (3.30 Euros for a 330ml bottle) which is brewed at the city's Stiegl brewery.

When the Salzburger Nockerl arrived it was a sight to behold; a large souffle with a meringue-like appearance and texture. We tucked in at opposite ends of the dish, breaking through the slightly crispy exterior to find a softer and sweeter interior (which reminded me of egg custard) and a layer of raspberry (or perhaps bilberry) sauce. We finally devoured the whole dish and we agreed that the lady's advice had been sound; one was certainly enough between the two of us!

A fairly expensive and undoubtedly touristy cafe...but a good place to try the local speciality of Salzburger Nockerl.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Stiftskeller St Peter: Europe's Oldest Restaurant

by christine.j Updated Jan 17, 2012

The beergarden

This restaurant claims to be the oldest in Europe. I can understand why people have been eating there since 803. I have a sweet tooth, so I skipped all the main courses and started with dessert. Extremely good! It fully justified the reputation the Austrian cuisine has when it comes to desserts.
    They have apple strudel, of course, but also the famous Salzburger Nockerln, Marillenknoedel - a sort of apricot dumplings, mousse au chocolat and much more.
    It's not too expensive and you get a whole plate full of food, not just a tiny dumpling in the middle.
    There are several rooms in the restaurant, also a beergarden which we chose.
    Next time I'm in Salzburg I know where I will go and eat! It was one of the best meals I ever had.

• Cafe Mozartwinkel: Bad Service in Salzburg

by Ek87 Written Jul 30, 2011

On a rainy Saturday in Salzburg, me, my wife and seven year-old daughter were looking for a place to eat lunch to celebrate our last day in the city. We wandered around the Altstadt until we came across Café Mozartwinkel, Universitätsplatz 15 5020 Salzburg, what seemed to be a nice corner café that had reasonable prices. We found a seat and made our order. My daughter ordered the schnitzel burger, while my wife ordered lasagna al forno and I ordered kartoffelstrudel. Drinks came and all was well until the schnitzel burger was brought out, slathered in ketchup, mayo, mustard and onions. My wife told the waitress that my daughter didn’t realize it would have onions and all the condiments, can she have another? The waitress, an older Austrian lady, understood and brought the sandwich back to the kitchen. I was prepared to buy another schnitzel burger without all the extras and eat the one with them since my strudel looked pretty paltry. I was not given the chance, however. A moment or two later, a man (not the waiter who took our order) brought the sandwich back out, plonked it in front of my daughter and began to berate my wife in English. “This is how it comes, you should have asked for it different.” “We didn’t realize burger meant it came with all this” “Well, it’s not McDonalds here.” “I’m well aware of that.” As he continued to badger us, his voice became louder, until he whisked the sandwich away, at which point my daughter burst into tears. My wife goes into the restaurant to let this man know that he’s made a seven year old girl cry. He has the gall to blame my wife and tell her that a good mother would know these things. Well, as one can imagine her response. She comes back to the table, since we can’t just up and leave without paying. I’m figuring the bill in my head so I can leave the cash on the table, when the waiter comes and clears everything off the table and tells us to leave. My daughter is crying, my wife is white with anger and I'm seething. In 15 years of living in and travelling around Europe I have never had such a terrible experience.

• iluvtrvl's Profile Photo

Traditional/Local Food: Wonderful Food, Great Atmosphere

by iluvtrvl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cafe Glockenspiel

My daughter and I decided to try Cafe Glockenspiel as it was one of several that our hotel had recommended for the old part of Salzburg. We opted for this restaurant, as it was a beautiful fall evening in September, and the restaurant offered outdoor balcony seating overlooking Mozartplatz.

The food matched the ambiance of the restaurant - very good, very comforting after a long day of sightseeing with the service being OK - not fabulous, but OK. I understand that the Salzburger Nockerln is excellent at this restaurant, but since my daughter wasn't game, and it is a dish for at least 2, I didn't get the opportunity to try it first hand. I will not waste that opportunity on my next visit to Salzburg!

I highly recommend this restaurant for the quality of food and the ambiance of the location and surroundings.

• pocketpiglet's Profile Photo

Cafe Restaurant Costa: Budget restaurant

by pocketpiglet Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sunday special at Cafe Costa

I've been to Cafe Costa many times and was always pleased with the service, the food and the price. This place has 3 different rooms and I don't understand why they don't elect one of them for non-smokers. Oh well. They also have tables outside.

It's worth to pay attention to the notice showing the specials of the day: during the week, they have main dish + sweet for 5.50 euros and on Sundays there is a special dish for 4.5 (without dessert). The portions are not very big, as you can see in the picture. For us it's just perfect since we prefer smaller portions to leave room for our mid-afternoon coffe and cake session :)

• Cafeteria in Salzburg Zoo: Jagapfandl

by jfcheung Written Oct 12, 2010

I went to the Salzburg Zoo which is located next to Hellbrunn Palace. The cafeteria in the zoo serves reasonably price traditional dishes. I ordered a Jagapfandl which is homemade spinach noodles with mushroom and veal stew.

Favorite Dish: Jagapfandl.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Smallest House in Salzburg: next door to.Cafe Tomaselli

by dustmon Updated Jun 24, 2010

Cafe Tomaselli is next to "The Smallest House" in Salzburg---according to our guide, there is no specific story attributed to this house, just that it is the smallest in volume in Old Town Salzburg....good photo op..... close to lots of shopping and eating!

• Photography
    • Cruise

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Triangel: Great sunny spot--goulash and beer!

by dustmon Written Jun 20, 2010

We stopped here around the corner from the main square of old town, kind of out of the press of things for a bit, and found Triangel with some sunny tables halfway under the awning that rewarded us with a great tender goulash, and some sausages with potato salad, and of course, fresh beer, this time a Franziskaner Weissbier.
    Daily from 11 AM to midnight.

Favorite Dish: Goulash--very tender pork smothered in goulash sauce...

• Cruise

• ELear's Profile Photo

Mundenhamer Restaurant: Old-fashioned Austrian comfort food, and good beer

by ELear Updated May 30, 2010

I was there in February, when there were just locals. There may be tourists in summer. In any case, it's a friendly sort of place for everyone. The waitresses speak a bit of English.

The beer was great. So was the food.

For starters I had Erdapfelrahmsuppe - very good
    Next I had Rindersaftgulasch - ditto
    And then I had Eispalatschinke mit Schokoladensauce, Schlagobers und Fruchtdekor - sheer bliss !

I think the bill came to about €15. Maybe a bit less.

Favorite Dish: The Eispalatschinke mit Schokoladensauce, Schlagobers und Fruchtdekor - out of this world !

• Beer Tasting

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Saran Cafe: Fine Food with a tasty Menu

by XKuger Updated Oct 31, 2009

Fresh food market

This is a small bar/ cafe that serves excellent food at reasonable prices. It has a selection on Local / Italian / Indian / Asian food. The Owner Saran is a very nice and amicable gentleman who takes pride in the service and the food.

The Service is prompt and the food tasts excellent. We order two dishes on the menu.. the Cambodian vegtable curry (with coconut milk) and the chicken curry. Both were cooked to perfection and served as requested.. the food was flavourful and tased fresh and excellent.

I would most positively recommend this place to anyone visting Salzburg.

Favorite Dish: The Cambodia Vegatble Curry ( with coconut milk)

They also served the local Viennese / german food that was popular with the locals and others where wanted to try.

• SandiMandi's Profile Photo

Alter Fuchs: You won't leave hungry!

by SandiMandi Updated Jul 21, 2009

My favourite!

We found this restaurant by accident as we were looking for a shelter fromthe rain and stumbled upon Alter Fuchs. The place was packed with people, but we managed to find a free table.

At first we were only going to have a drink, but as we browsed the menu and saw what others had on their plates, it all looked so appealing that we decided to have something to eat as well. My boyfriend took a grill plate with pork and turkey cutlet, beef and a sausage served with fries, it was a huge portion! I had a chicken salad, which was the best one I've had for ages, didn't leave me hungry either.

The service was efficient and although it was crowded, we didn't have to wait too long for our meals. The total cost for the two big portions plus drinks was under 25 euros, which I think was very reasonable. We liked the food so much, that we came back the following night and enjoyed it as much as the first time! :)

• Beer Tasting

• Simon1265's Profile Photo

Stiftskeller St. Peter: The best meal I ever had

by Simon1265 Written May 26, 2008

Sign outside

What's not to like about this place? It's really worth stopping in, even if it's only for a sweet delight! I don't know how busy this place is at night, but we went in the afternoon and had no trouble getting seated. The waiter was one of the best I've had anywhere. He was very attentive without hovering. A trip to Salzburg isn't complete unless you eat here. NOt only are you surrounded by wonderful food and wine, but the history alone is worth spending a nice afternoon here. This is not a place you want to pop in to for a quick bite. Enjoy it!

Favorite Dish: I had the best meal of my life here and I don't say that lightly. I started with a wonderful foam herb soup and had the best pork roast to follow. Seriously I didn't know pork could taste like this. It practically melted in my mouth. It came with saurkraut with speck (bacon) and a wonderful bread dumpling. Everything was so wonderful I just don't think anything else can compare to it.

Instant Answers: Salzburg