Traditional/Local Food, Salzburg

4.5 out of 5 stars 44 Reviews

• pocketpiglet's Profile Photo

Cafe Konditorei Peter Lohe: my favourite Konditorei in Salzburg

by pocketpiglet Updated Jun 29, 2006

Very pleasant totally non-smoking Konditorei not far from the railway station. They offer delicious cakes made on premises. Most friendly staff, little gem of a place. I can honestly say that every time I went to Salzburg I had a coffee and cake at this place and plan to return.

Closed Monday and Tuesdays.

I should add they don't accept credit cards!

Cafe Konditorei Peter Lohe

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Krimpelstätter: a quick brew before the Monastery

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 27, 2014

After our breakfast brews, we did do a small walk around town to let Sandy snap some photos and so that we could at least say we were in Salzburg but soon enough we were back to the task at hand: finding some good beer and a place to enjoy our first in person chat after “knowing” each other on VT for quite a few years now. It was too early to go to the monastery’s beer hall as it wasn’t open yet so we made a quick stop in this atmospheric old pub. The service was a bit slack but the old wooden interior and cozy overall feel made up for this.

This tip was also from our 2004 visit so assume prices have gone up since then!

Favorite Dish: Since we planned on eating at the monastery, we just had a small meal of a local delicacy, stinkerknodell. This tasty version of bread/potato dumplings had some cheese and onion in the mix and accompanied the nearby monk’s brew quite well. It would have been easy enough to have a few here but we did have business to attend to so off we wandered to the monastery.

The top beer destination in Salzburg is here

a tasty local treat
    • Beer Tasting

• pocketpiglet's Profile Photo

Cafe Restaurant Costa: Budget restaurant

by pocketpiglet Updated Apr 4, 2011

I've been to Cafe Costa many times and was always pleased with the service, the food and the price. This place has 3 different rooms and I don't understand why they don't elect one of them for non-smokers. Oh well. They also have tables outside.

It's worth to pay attention to the notice showing the specials of the day: during the week, they have main dish + sweet for 5.50 euros and on Sundays there is a special dish for 4.5 (without dessert). The portions are not very big, as you can see in the picture. For us it's just perfect since we prefer smaller portions to leave room for our mid-afternoon coffe and cake session :)

Sunday special at Cafe Costa

• john&eduarda's Profile Photo

Traditional/Local Food: Alter Fuchs

by john&eduarda Updated Jan 2, 2007

This is a lovely place in the Aldstadt on the opposite side of the Bridge to Mozart's Birthhouse. The place is always packed with locals and tourists alike, and for that reason we selected it for our birthday celebration dinner on our first night in Salzburg. We made a good choice; the restaurant is lovely: a nice long table at the front gave us privacy away from the throngs of people further inside. The table service was efficient and friendly and cheerful. The food was great: a great mix of local and Austrian dishes, the Vienner Schnitzel was so good the first night that I ordered it again when we went back the second time.

We had a bit of a joke when the waitress told us there was no apple struddel; 'no Apfel strudel in Austria is the same as no Guinness in Dublin!' But it was all in good sport. We liked this place very much and when we go back to Salzburg (as we plan to, many times over) we will visit this restaurant again and make ourselves regulars there. A great place!

Favorite Dish: The Vienna Schnitzel is very tasty and comes at a very reasonable price (EUR 8). Recommended.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Stiftskeller St Peter: Europe's Oldest Restaurant

by christine.j Updated Jan 17, 2012

This restaurant claims to be the oldest in Europe. I can understand why people have been eating there since 803. I have a sweet tooth, so I skipped all the main courses and started with dessert. Extremely good! It fully justified the reputation the Austrian cuisine has when it comes to desserts.
    They have apple strudel, of course, but also the famous Salzburger Nockerln, Marillenknoedel - a sort of apricot dumplings, mousse au chocolat and much more.
    It's not too expensive and you get a whole plate full of food, not just a tiny dumpling in the middle.
    There are several rooms in the restaurant, also a beergarden which we chose.
    Next time I'm in Salzburg I know where I will go and eat! It was one of the best meals I ever had.

The beergarden

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Fortress Tavern: Great food, fantastic view

by rexvaughan Written May 22, 2004

After visiting the Fortress and wandering around the grounds, we found the Fortress Tavern for a lunch break. They, of course, have tables outside so we were able to be refreshed not only by the food, but by the fantastic view from what feels like the top of the world.

Favorite Dish: My wife says this is the best sausages and french fries we had.

The Good Life

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Gablerbräu: Local food with tradition

by german_eagle Updated Apr 13, 2008

Gablerbräu is a Hotel/Restaurant in an old Patrician house in the New Town, Linzer Gasse. The walls are decorated with frescos and you can also see some stained glass windows. The benches/chairs/tables are made of dark wood.

Attentive, competent staff. Hearty Austrian food. I had dinner there two nights and would go back anytime.

Favorite Dish: Their dark beer is a specialty - yummy.

They serve excellent steaks and schnitzel (11-13 Euro) with baked potatoes. Marillen Palatschinken (apricot pancakes) for dessert were delicious.

interior yummy steak Pancakes! happy with the food ;-)
    • Study Abroad

• balhannah's Profile Photo

KK RESTAURANT: GOOD MEAL

by balhannah Written Aug 13, 2012

The K + K Restaurant is located on Waagplatz.
    The Restaurant is located in a heritage listed town house in the historic Old Town, but as it was a nice sunny day, we chose to eat outdoors under the Umbrella's.

Both of us were happy with our meals, and with the price which we thought was quite reasonable for Salzburg.

Some of their meals are...pork meat with freshly grated horseradish and caraway potatoes € 11.50
    Chanterelle stew with sour cream and noodles € 10.00
    Grilled white fish with basil sauce € 12.50

There is a menu board which we had a look at before we took a seat. What a lovely location it was to wait for our meals!

KK Restaurant

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Zum Fidelen Affen: A secret spot for local food

by german_eagle Written Apr 13, 2008

This is another restaurant with lots of charm and excellent local food. It is not widely known among tourists, but recommended by my hotel (just a few steps away).

It is located in an old townhouse. Rustic, cosy, small, typical Gasthaus frequented by local folks mostly. Most walls are panelled with dark wood. Reservations are highly recommended. Service was very good, friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had Tafelspitz (cooked beef) - an Austrian specialty - that comes with horseradish in apple sauce and baked potatoes - outstanding, absolutely memorable (12.50 Euro). Blueberry strudel with vanilla ice-cream came on a beautifully decorated plate and was delicious (4.50 Euro).

I didn't have luck with the beer, though. Trumer Pils was not exactly my favourite, but I didn't let that spoil a wonderful dining experience.

inside the restaurant Tafelspitz dessert - blueberry strudel

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Cafe Pamina: Austrian Strudel!

by kentishgirl Written Mar 1, 2005

This small cafe is very traditional, despite its very touristy location at the end Getriedegasse.

There are both smoking and non smoking areas, comfy seats and friendly staff.

Favorite Dish:
    I tried the Apple Strudel and it was delicious!
    There are so many cakes on offer here and they all look fabulous!

We spent a relaxing hour or two on a Sunday afternoon in here, and it was busy at all times...the Cappucinos were fabulous and my favourite Gluwein was as always delightful and a great warm up on a winters day in Salzburg!

Apple Strudel and Gluwein!!

• mydreamquest's Profile Photo

Zum Eulenspiegel: Excellent Austrian Cuisine in Salzburg

by mydreamquest Updated Oct 16, 2005

Located a short walk from the Mozarthaus in Salzburg's Old Town. Back in 2002, I first came to this rustic restaurant located on a old four story building. The staff is very friendly and informative and the food is excellent.

The seeded breads are excellent, the cool celery soups out of this world, and the meat dishes superb. It's a romantic restaurant with a feel that makes you feel as if you are in Baroque Austria.

Favorite Dish: Everything was great, but I recall the cool, celery soup to be quenching after a long day of sightseeing.

My Favorite Dish, a Refreshing, Cool, Celery Soup Wonderful Seeded Bread and Onion Soup Salads, Thunfishchsteak, Barbarieentenbrust Dishes Daydreaming Out the Window at Dinner Time
    • Luxury Travel

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Saren Essen: Gulash and Knodel!

by kentishgirl Updated Mar 1, 2005

This is a really cosy little restaurant located near the touristy Christmas shop at the end of the narrow pedestrian street of Getriedegasse in Salzburgs old town.

It was warm and friendly and clearly had its "locals"!

Favorite Dish:

We ate the amazing meal of Gulash served with Knodel which was fabulous!

They also offered an Indian dish along with a variety of other Austrian specialities.

Enjoying the beer in Saran restaurant Salzburg!

• Simon1265's Profile Photo

Stiftskeller St. Peter: The best meal I ever had

by Simon1265 Written May 26, 2008

What's not to like about this place? It's really worth stopping in, even if it's only for a sweet delight! I don't know how busy this place is at night, but we went in the afternoon and had no trouble getting seated. The waiter was one of the best I've had anywhere. He was very attentive without hovering. A trip to Salzburg isn't complete unless you eat here. NOt only are you surrounded by wonderful food and wine, but the history alone is worth spending a nice afternoon here. This is not a place you want to pop in to for a quick bite. Enjoy it!

Favorite Dish: I had the best meal of my life here and I don't say that lightly. I started with a wonderful foam herb soup and had the best pork roast to follow. Seriously I didn't know pork could taste like this. It practically melted in my mouth. It came with saurkraut with speck (bacon) and a wonderful bread dumpling. Everything was so wonderful I just don't think anything else can compare to it.

Sign outside The enterance

• Peterodl's Profile Photo

Saran Essbar: Saran Essbar

by Peterodl Written Dec 17, 2007

The Saran Essbar, owned and operated by Saran is a local restaurant on the Judengasse.
    It is small and intimate but well lit with a warm colors to open the room up. The restaurant is one room with arched ceilings and there are photos of Saran and others who have visited over the years.
    The most notable photo of Saran and a visitor is alone by itself and is of the travel writer and tv host Rick Steves who recomended the restaurant in his guide books.
    The food is good and the service is personal thanks to the small size of the room. Menus are offered in German, Italian and English to help ease ordering.
    I had the wiener schnitzel, a beer and a slice of sacher torte for 16.70euros.
    I would recomended the Saran Essbar to anyone wanting to eat in a small, local restaurnat with the locals and not with the tourists.

Me and Saran with Rick Steves and Saran on wall Saran Essbar Saran Essbar entrance
    • Trains

• iluvtrvl's Profile Photo

Traditional/Local Food: Wonderful Food, Great Atmosphere

by iluvtrvl Updated Apr 4, 2011

My daughter and I decided to try Cafe Glockenspiel as it was one of several that our hotel had recommended for the old part of Salzburg. We opted for this restaurant, as it was a beautiful fall evening in September, and the restaurant offered outdoor balcony seating overlooking Mozartplatz.

The food matched the ambiance of the restaurant - very good, very comforting after a long day of sightseeing with the service being OK - not fabulous, but OK. I understand that the Salzburger Nockerln is excellent at this restaurant, but since my daughter wasn't game, and it is a dish for at least 2, I didn't get the opportunity to try it first hand. I will not waste that opportunity on my next visit to Salzburg!

I highly recommend this restaurant for the quality of food and the ambiance of the location and surroundings.

Cafe Glockenspiel