Know about this?
Werfen Ice Caves, Nr. Salzburg - Ok these might be spectacular, but lets put reality into them. They are approx 5628 ft up a cliff face. From what I can remember the peak of the Jungfrau in Switzerland is approx 3120 ft. and you feel dizzy at that level, having reached it by cog railway due to the altitude. You park and then have a 20 minute walk so I'm told to the cable car followed by another 20 minute walk to the cave entrance. There are wooden slatted bridges to cross. There are sheer drops to your left and unless you are physically fit and wear proper hiking clothing, I do mean taking to walking poles with you forget them. The cable car from what we could see was small. Definitely not for the faint hearted. There are no real warnings on the website about the access to these caves and it is glossed over. Think before you attempt these caves. I would imagine getting medical assistance to these caves would be extremely difficult.
Beware of River Floods on the Salzach River
In August 2002, when I first visited Salzburg, the water river levels of the Salzach were unusually high. In fact, in Prague, there were serious flooding conditions which placed museums in jeopardy.
Just be careful when it rains. Do not fall into the river! You will not live more than likely so just be safe around the river, especially when it rains. Note the boat that was overturned here from the dangerously rushing waters.
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
Take An Umbrella!
If you visit Salzburg in winter, before the snow arrives, make sure you take an umbrella because when it rains, it REALLY rains!
- Historical Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Beds for all Budgets!
- Hostelworld.com Sleep Easy on your travels Read 1 million+ ratings & reviews
Salzburg Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Hat Yai Hotels
- Lough Key Forest Park Hotels
- Figure Eight Island Hotels
- Cebu City
- Saskatoon Hotels
- Laoag City
- Pattaya Warnings and Dangers
- Istanbul Warnings and Dangers
- Dominican Republic Warnings and Dangers
- Nashville Warnings and Dangers
- Chicago Warnings and Dangers
- Saint Louis Warnings and Dangers
- Angeles City Warnings and Dangers
- Detroit Warnings and Dangers
- Puerto Rico Warnings and Dangers
- Boracay Island Warnings and Dangers
- Addis Ababa Warnings and Dangers
- Madrid Warnings and Dangers