Sankt Gilgen Restaurants

• mlbk888's Profile Photo

Gasthof zur Post Hotel & Restaurant: Fine Dining at Post Hotel

by mlbk888 Updated Jan 1, 2008

Grilled Trout with Potatoes

Staff - the restaurant is managed by only one staff who welcomed us on arrival, showed us to the restaurant, took our orders, served the food, brought us our bill and bade us good-bye. She must have been a 'superwoman' of sort.

Service - friendly in a typical Austrian way.

Ambience - traditional style decor and furnishing. The dining room is filled with antique furniture; beautiful hand-painted china plates adorn the wall. Being Easter, there were Easter decorations at all the window ledges, table tops etc.

Food - this restaurant is all about its food. We were more than satisfied with the quality of the food; the freshness of the ingredients; the imaginative combination of main dish with side dish; food presentation. It was one of the best meals we had during our stay in Austria in 2006.

Favorite Dish: Grilled Trout - slightly charred on the outside but tender and moist on the inside. Served with potatoes on the side.

Poached Trout in White Wine - the fillet of trout was cooked to perfection and served in a consomme of white wine. The taste of this dish was subtle rather than over-powering.

Wiener Schnitzel - do not be deceived by the rather plain look of this dish. The veal is so tender, I voted it the best Wiener Schnitzel I have ever eaten! Also, it was not over-cooked and there was no 'oily' after taste which is an important factor for this dish.

Mashed potato in horse radish - this was something I have not eaten before and we all just fell in love with it. The potato was mashed to a very smooth paste and the horse radish added some 'oomph' to it. Perfect accompaniment to the poached trout in white wine which was more delicate to the taste.

• Architecture

• acemj's Profile Photo

12er-Horn-Buffet-Wuerstelstand: A little traditional fare

by acemj Updated Dec 18, 2004

This place was nothing elaborate, just a simple, self-service snack bar located at the base of the Zwolferhornbahn (the cable car station). But since the weather was gorgeous and we noticed they had some traditional Wiener Schnitzel, we decided to pull up a chair (they were actually picnic benches). The Wiener Schnitzel was good and I had the opporunity for a beer and my first taste of a uniquely Austrian drink Almdudler (see my local custom tip).

It was 6.50 Euros for the Wiener Schnitzel which was a large portion served with a potato salad.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Various: Various

by acemj Updated Dec 18, 2004

Sankt Gilgen is not a huge place and I didn't see an over-abundance of restaurants. However, you won't go hungry. Michael and I noticed this group of mostly tourists eating at this cafe just off of the main square. There is also a nice looking restaurant in the Hotel zur Post which serves traditional Austrian food in a 15th century setting.

Instant Answers: Sankt Gilgen

Comments

Sankt Gilgen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sankt Gilgen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sankt Gilgen sightseeing.