Sankt Martin bei Lofer Travel Guide

• Sankt Martin bei Lofer
  • Things to Do

Sankt Martin bei Lofer Things to Do

by balhannah Updated Aug 25, 2013

The road to the Gorge is dirt, and its a 2.5km walk to the Gorge entrance.

It is quite pretty, as it follows a stream and along the way, there are several ponds. We came across one where children were having fun rafting. All the local cows had gathered around to watch, it was rather funny! I missed the best photo which was when all the cows were staring at the boys!
    This is known as the nature recreation area with ponds for swimming and barbecue areas in the Schiedergraben.
    Once we reached the end, we parked our Car and then bought our admission tickets.

There is a Kiosk, this and the Gorge is open from..........
    May to October 9:30 - 6pm

ADMISSION...ADULTS 3.50 euros

The Gorge has lots and lots of stairs, so IT IS NOT FOR THE UNFIT!

VORDERKASERKLAMM VORDERKASERKLAMM WILDFLOWERS
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

by balhannah Updated Aug 25, 2013

Schloss Grubhof is actually a Hotel now. Painted white, surrounded by lawns, gardens and big Chestnut trees, I thought this Schloss was a stunner!

We asked at reception if we could see the inside courtyard, which we could. The Schloss was built in the 14th century, with the oldest part of the castle dating to 1325.
    The King of Bavaria often spent time here.

Now you can stay here too! I can just imagine the advertised luxurious apartments, antiques, four poster beds and ceiling paintings. Outside were Tennis courts and sundecks for relaxation on the grounds.

If this is too expensive, then close by is a campground which is located on the Schloss grounds.

Schloss Grubhof Schloss Grubhof Schloss Grubhof Schloss Grubhof Schloss Grubhof
    • Luxury Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

by balhannah Updated Aug 25, 2013

Crazy Critters, that's the name I have given these rock-piles.
    Thanks to VT Member Trekki, I now know these are called Cairns and are popular in the alpine regions. They show the way along walking track's and where perhaps one track may become two. I imagine this would be quite valuable in Winter when covered in snow, and would help walkers from not getting lost. I now understand why I have seen so many on the Mountain tops of different European countries!

We were looking for the road to Vorderkaserklamm. The easy way to find it is.....
    Just look for the picnic ground with these crazy critters,[Cairns] which is situated on the left side of the road when coming from Zell am See.

Instant Answers: Sankt Martin bei Lofer

Comments

Sankt Martin bei Lofer Travel Guide
Map of Sankt Martin bei Lofer