Graz Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Graz

• Anjutka's Profile Photo

Opatija: Great Branzino and other Croatian Goodies

by Anjutka Updated Mar 26, 2007

Wherever I am I try to eat the local food and it happened extremely seldom that I was disappointed and Lothar told me a lot of the great food one can get in Styria. So I was really curious, especially because the dinner we had on our first evening in Styria was cheaper than elsewhere in Austria but of course far from being anything special - but that was because it was the only place open in the forgotten village where we stayed overnight a 100 km north of Graz. Our stroll through Graz the next morning was very intense and rewarding and it was already quite late when we felt the wish for a good lunch. We went down from the Schlossberg and Lothar knows plenty of good restaurants about a kilometer from there but we did not want to take the risk to come too late. After passing the Murinsel we saw an obviously new restaurant at the other side of the Mur river which Lothar has never seen before. The name Opatija indicated that it must be Croatian and on the blackboard outside they offered Branzino. So Lothar could convince me to try this one instead of anything Styrian further away. The restaurant looked clearly more expensive than average.

Favorite Dish: We studied the menu which was displayed outside and it looked nice and interesting with prices more like in Tirol than in Styria. It was nice and warm so we sat down at the terrace and discussed our choice with the very friendly Croatian staff. They strongly recommended the Branzino which has arrived this morning from the not so far Adriatic Sea. It was of course our main choice. But all the dishes we got were nice and authentically Croatian. I still remember also the great fish soup. We had to wait quite a time for the Branzino so we joked that they have probably sold the last one and called to the Croatian coast to get a new one but finally everything came and we enjoyed a wonderful lunch which left no wish open. And the bill was only about two thirds of that what we would have paid for anything similar in Innsbruck or elsewhere in Tirol.

• Unknown: Cheap Greek Food

by PhilC2 Updated Mar 23, 2007

I went her with my brother and our mates on my first visit. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the restaurant. On my second visit it wasn't open and I cannot find a mention of it on the web, so it might have closed. Anyway i'll describe it in case it decides to re-surface. If you are looking for a cheap but thoroughly enjoyable evening then this is your place. The decor was a bit basic with wooden chairs and a seating plan that had all of us squeezed on one table, but sometimes a bit of informality makes for a great evening. One tip though, if they seat you at the front next to a closed glass door, make sure you are not the one with your back to it, as there is a cold draft coming through, as I found out!
    The welcome was warm, enthusiastic and sincere, but then it always has been when I have met Greek people. It only seemed a small place but there was live music and dancing, which was thoroughly enjoyable and only added to what was a great night.

Favorite Dish: I had a fried seafood dish from memory, which was typical Greek. A little crispy on the edges but great value. This place isn't for the high maintenance but if you want a great, informal night out with friends or girlfriend then come here.

• Unknown: Very Expensive

by PhilC2 Updated Mar 23, 2007

I went here on my second trip with Wend but i'm afraid that I cannot remember what it was called. It seems to be located where Eckstein & Maroni are but I do not recognise the interiors of them. Anyway this restaurant was extremely well refined with low, subtle lighting and soft music for a relaxing mood. The waiter service was extremely courteous and efficient. However this place was quite expensive and the clientele seemed a little reserved. By the way, they don't take switch cards, which was the only one I had at the time. Luckily I had enough notes, as I have heard of this, otherwise we would have been doing the washing up for the rest of the night. Always check the bill anywhere. I did here and found they added £15 worth. They apologises and removed it so no harm done but you never know whether it was a simple mistake or whether they were trying it on because you were from 'out of town'?

Favorite Dish: I had steak and it was so gorgeous i wanted to slip it into my pocket and take it home with me. You get what you pay for I suppose and this was more than average.

• Glocklbrau: Great Styrian restaurant

by PhilC2 Written Mar 5, 2007

I really liked the old charm of this place. There is a small bar area with stools at the front of the building to the right of the entrance. The room is wooden panelled and very cosy. Sometimes I would go in there for a quick drink in the evening, even though I wasn't eating there. I ate there a couple of times during the day and there is a seating area to the other side on the ground floor. However, I preferred to eat upstairs. There is a good atmosphere here. Like most of the places in Graz though, not too frantic.

Favorite Dish: I remember having sauages with horseradish sauce, which I loved. The beer is great as well

• Cafe Schwalbennest: Nice River Views

by PhilC2 Written Mar 5, 2007

After time spent wandering around the centre of the town we stopped off here for a coffee and cake. There is a small balcony that overlooks the Mur river

Favorite Dish: I remember the cake was a lovely bit of pastry.

• coccinella169's Profile Photo

Eckstein: International interpretation of styrian dishes

by coccinella169 Updated Mar 5, 2007

Interieur

Eckstein is a rather chic restaurant in the centre of Graz, on one of the nicest squares- the Mehlplatz. The interieur design is nice, they use a lot of chocolate brown and beige leather and dark wood. There is a lot of candlelight, so it is rather cosy too. The (excellent) food is mainly a mixture between italian, styrian and asian dishes- some food creations are a bit eccentric. You should reserve a table, it can get rather crowded. Soups are around 5 EUR, starters around 7 EUR, main courses between 15 and 20 EUR.

Niú: Cheap and chic

by coccinella169 Updated Feb 24, 2007

This nice café is located a 5 minutes walk from the centre and close to the university and the Stadtpark. Maybe I like it that much because I lived in the same street when I was studying in Graz :). It is in an old house, of which only the facade is left, behind they built a completely new building. The interieur is super modern but still cosy. They have very cheap lunch offers (EUR 3,90!)- obvioulsy because of it`s vicinity to the university. Regarding the food I have only tried the tuna focaccia so far, which was rather good. They have a wide breakfast selection as well. Further it is one of the rare places in Graz where you have a WLAN access for free. Staff is very friendly!

Stainzerbauer: Styrian creativity

by coccinella169 Updated Feb 13, 2007

Entrance

This restaurant is located close to the Graz`cathedral and serves mainly traditional austrian and styrian food- but with a creative twist. It is nicely furnished in a traditional way. They have an extra room for smokers. I went there quite often in the past 10 years and was never disappointed. Last time I had pasta with a crayfish sauce and a salad with the pumpkin seed oil we styrians love- and it was very good. Prices for main courses are between 10 and 20 EUR. It is a perfect place for a decent dinner with the whole family too. In summer you can sit in their courtyard. In their courtyard goes a stair down to a club called "Royal Garden Jazzclub". If you like Jazz music, this is the place to be in Graz.

• eamonnfoley's Profile Photo

Goldene Kugel (prev. Bier Baron II): Hearty Austrian food, top brauhaus

by eamonnfoley Updated Jan 4, 2007

Firstly, we were searching for Bier Baron II - as recommended at various places on the web. However we found Goldene Kugel in its place - We were there, so we thought it was worth a visit anyway.

What can I say - 14 or so tap beers, friendly helpful staff. The barman was happy to give us samples of various drinks before buying. The food was excellent, and really well priced. The location of the bar is little away from the centre of town, but certainly worth the walk. We did notice it was a little quiet that night (saturday), but we were in early in the evening.

Favorite Dish: You cant go past the Beeg Goulash - sensational!

Aiola City: My favourite café in Graz

by coccinella169 Updated Dec 28, 2006

Aiola city is situated in the plain city centre and is my favourite café in Graz at the moment. The interieur is rather modern and well designed, but keeps the arches of the old building. They serve breakfast (starting from EUR 1,70 without drinks) too. Actually it is a restaurant as well but I haven`t tried their food so far, so I can`t give any serious review. Waiters are very friendly and protective, recently they kicked out a guy who obstinately seeked my company and said sorry for this unpleasant experience - thank you:). They have further branches on the Schlossberg (Aiola upstairs) and on the Murinsel, an island in the river Mur (Aiola island).

• Steirische Schmankerlstube: Authentic Styrian cooking

by franca2 Written Nov 17, 2006

A little kitsch but cosy with lovely food, one of the best places in the centre of Graz for authentic Styrian cooking. Some dinky small booths just for 4 people. Good friendly service and they speak English. Courtyard tables in the summer.

Favorite Dish: Garlic soup, pumpkin soup, smoked trout and good vegetarian dishes like spaetzle

• Business Travel

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Operncafe Temmel: A. Schwarzenegger's favorite Icecream in Graz ?

eine Fuhre Mist in Operncafe Temmel

Operncafe Temmel is well known for its fine cakes and especially for its icecream. They even have a branche in Los Angeles http://www.schatzi-on-main.com/!
    Operncafe Temmel is open :
    Monday till Saturday : 07.30 - 09.00p.m.
    and Sunday 09.00a.m. - 09.00p.m.

Favorite Dish: They have really a big choice of icecream-cups and the one I have finally tasted was " Eine Fuhre Mist ", and when you click on my picture it might help you to understand, where that name comes from :
    It is served in a small pushcart similar to the ones, beeing used on a farm, and Mist is the dung made by the animals there...
    Well,it tasted excellent and looked also a lot better than the "real thing" :-)

• Seniors

Starcke Winzerhaus: the restaurant in the Starcke-Häuschen

the restaurant in the Starcke-H��uschen

Starcke Winzerhaus is a small restaurant with only 30 seats plus lots of seats in the garden-restaurant that is beautifully arranged in the terraces around the building. At first there had been a powder-tower at this place, but it was destroyed by french troops in 1809. In 1820 the house was rebuilt and the terraces that are used as a garden-restaurant today were vinyards at that time. At the end of the 19th century a famous actor from Dresden was living inside that house : Gustav Starcke.
    It is a pity, that it was impossible to take a better picture of that restaurant - BUT on my link below you may see a panoramaview from Stalcke-Haus :
    click here for a panoramaview from Starcke-Häuschen-restaurant !

Favorite Dish: In Starcke Winzerhaus you may taste great local specialities of the Styrian cuisine - take a look at their webpage below !!

Schlossberg Restaurant: for the best view from Schlossberg

by globetrott Updated May 11, 2006

the restaurant on top of Schlossberg

Schlossberg Restaurant is divided into 2 major parts : There is a large building with a bar, a disco and 3 large halls for festivities with up to 1000 guests. In that part of the restaurant you will be served by the waiters, while in the lovely garden-restaurant that you may see on my picture, you will have a self-service like in a beer-garden. Be prepered that especially in the summer this restaurant will be really crowded !!

Favorite Dish: I just had a coffee and some ice-cream, but they also have a great choice of dishes for lunch or dinner. The self-service-area has quite low prices !

Aiola island - Murinsel Cafe: a great cafe in Murinsel

aiola island & Murinsel Cafe

Murinsel with this nice cafe in italian style was built in 2003 and became a major attraction from the beginning, because the atrificial island is used by plenty of people also to cross the river Mur and the location is just perfect for a cafe.
    I made a picture-combination with the whole island that includes an amphitheatre as well.
    For handicapped people there is a lift from Marburger Kai to the Murinsel !!

Favorite Dish: I had a coffee and a cake, but they also serve all sorts of small snacks like italian Panini, Ciabatte, fingerfood and pastries.
    They have a large breakfast-menu as well AND
    breakfast is served until 04.00p.m.
    (A tribute to the long nights in the Grazer bermuda-triangle :-)
    On the webpage below you may see a part of their menu !

Instant Answers: Graz

Comments

Graz Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Graz restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Graz sightseeing.