Barmherzigekirche, situated in a district Lend which is across the River Mur, is closly connected with the Roman Catholic Brothers known as The Hospitaller Order of St. John of God. The Hospitaller Order (some call them Brotherhood of Compassion) is dedicated to caring for the poor, the sick, the dying and the disabled.
In 1615 Archduke Maximillian Ernest became seriously ill and his doctor was preparing to amputate one of his arms. But then brother Gabriel Ferrara was called in for a consultation and he opposed amputation. Instead, he took the Archduke into his own care and brought about his complete recovery and saving his arm. Deeply grateful the Archduke founded a new hospital and gave it to the order.
The hoch-Baroque styled church, designed by J.G. Stengg, was built from 1735 to 1740. Its interiors is richly adorned and worth of seeing.
Minorite Kloster (The Minorite Monastery) is integral part of Mariahilfekirche, built at the same time as church alone. It is home and the educational institution for the Minorite brothers. The first floor of the monastery feauturing evenings of spiritual music and classical concerts.
Mariahilfekierche (Our Lady of Succor), situated on the right bank of the Mur River, originally is built in 1239 and is an early Baroque construction. The church was built for the Minorite brothers. Pietro de Pomis carried out its reconstruction in the early 17th century and he painted the celebrated altarpiece depicting St. Elisabeth interceding with the Virgin Mary. This painting made the church a pilgrimage site.
The onion domed spire of the Franciscan Monastery on the river Mur is one of the stand-out features of the city. Like the Town Hall it is easily discernible from the Schlossberg, and in fact frames well with that building in photographs. Its Gothic architecture dates back to the 14th century, but it has had many additions and refurbishments. The interior was completely redesigned after a bomb gutted it during World War II. Riverside buildings were always at greater risk to old bombers guiding themselves by obvious geographical features.
In the Middle Ages most of the churches and in particularly monasteries were built out of the city walls, not in Austria only but in many other towns all over Europe. If carefully observing the bell tower of the Franciscan Church is notable for its robust construction in the lower part. The church was founded in 1239, as the monastery of the Minorites, having at that time strategically important position and therefore its bell tower was part of the fortifications.
The bell tower of the Franciscan Church is the most prominent among traditional Graz landmarks.
In the east par of Graz enthroned on a hill this baroque pilgrimage church. Who would like to marry in atmospheric frame, should come to Mariatrost (Maria's consolation). From 1714 it was presumably established by architect Andreas and Johann Georg Stengg by order of the Pauliner. Their heart is a Marien's statue whose told miracles, far away attracted already in the 17-th century numerous pilgrims.
The Franziskanerkirche is one of the oldest churches of Graz. The church and monastery originally date from around 1239 but was completed around 1277. Originally Minorite monks occupied the monastry but moved out in 1515 to make room for the Franciscans on the order of Kaiser Maximilian I. the unusual bulb shaped cupola was completed in 1643. This bell-tower also houses one of the oldest bells in Graz dating from 1272.
It is said that Stiegenkirche is the oldest church in Graz. But the most interesting thing about it, is that it can only be entered through a staircase, that`s why it is called Stiegenkirche. From outside, you do not notice that there is a church in the building- it looks like a normal Palais. Only the spire between the roofs indicates that there is a church. It used to be an augustin hermits church, then it was a jesuits church. Inside it is of a simple interieur, there arent too many ornaments, images or statues. There is a modern, coulourful painting above the altar. It is a rather mystical and silent place.
Dreifaltigkeitskirche dates back to the year 1696 and it was first built as a monastery-church. Dreifaltigkeitskirche shows a great baroque interior and you may take a look through an iron- fence in the back of the church during the day. This church is just a few steps from the Murinsel and also from Kriegsteig.
The most central of the fine churches of Graz is the Stadtpfarrkirche on Herrengasse. It's a late Gothic church, built around 1780, and consists of three naves and a spire topped by a wooden turret and copper cupola. It's a real stand out building on this busy shopping street.
Schlossberg Hotel Graz
1 Review and 77 Opinions Schlossberg Hotel is a modern hotel at the place, where the Schlossbergbahn has its ground-station,...
Augarten Hotel Graz
2 Reviews and 37 Opinions Beautiful modern hotel 5 minutes from centre of Graz - amazing buffet breakfast, friendly staff,...
Zum Dom Hotel Graz
1 Review and 58 Opinions Its a beautifully decorated hotel and staff memebrs are extremely helpful. Recommend this hotel to...