The Herrengasse is a street which also hosts a cathedral, an arsenal, a piece of conceptual art and the regional parliament of Styria. There are no cars, only immaculate green trams shuttling past little tobacco kiosks and green stalls selling hot chestnuts. An old lady with immaculate silver hair peeking beneath her black velvet trilby strolls along in a waist-length fur coat. At under a third of a mile it must be one of the shortest high streets of any major European city. It is definitely one of the most dignified
There are some lovely painted houses on Herrengasse.
These buildings were painted for the first time at the beginning of the seventeenth century. At that time the houses were used by the Habsburgs for carrying out their official business. From the year 1600 onwards, a brother of the future emperor Ferdinand II lived in one of these houses. He had it painted by Ferdinand's court painter Giovanni Pietro de Pomis. The Baroque painter Johann Mayer painted the divine frescos here in 1742. The houses changed ownership many times and eventually became the property of a money changer, Franz von Lathurner. He paid the artist Johann Mayer to fresco the façade again. Almost nothing of the original facade remained.