Graz Warnings and Dangers

• "left!", "no, other side", "what are you...
    by Jerelis

• antistar's Profile Photo

Watch out for Ice Dams in Winter

by antistar Written Mar 22, 2006

Ice Fall Warning Markers

Graz either had a problem with ice dams when I visited, or it took the problem very seriously, because there were warning markers all over the city, and people on roofs clearing off the snow and ice. An ice dam, if you are from a sunny country and haven't seen one before, is a block of frozen snow that form on the roofs of buildings during winter. They can sometimes break off suddenly and collapse onto unsuspecting pedestrians below. Obviously that can be very dangerous.

When there is a risk of ice dams falling to the ground, you will see these red and white markers leaning up against the walls. Also watch out for people standing and staring up at the roofs, as these maybe look-outs for roof clearers above. If they are looking up, that means that there is something definitely coming down!

• antistar's Profile Photo

Safe, like all cities in Austria.

by antistar Written Mar 22, 2006

Graz felt like a very safe city. The only thing that bothered me about the place was the density of beggars, all of whom were genuflecting in the most painful position, in the freezing snow and ice and at all hours of the day. It was just how Linz was when I visited a couple of years previously. It's not just that I felt bad that I couldn't give money to them all, after all I felt they must be pretty earnest to be suffering so much, but because the city wasn't doing anything about it. Surely a city as rich as Graz obviously is could put these people in a warm room and feed them.

• Its Actually Really Safe

by PhilC2 Updated Dec 18, 2006

I just thought that i'd say that I can't for the life of me think of any dangers in this town. The town was very refined with no real trouble at all. The only hint was when I staggered out the 3 Monkeys to withdraw some more lagerbeer tokens from a cashpoint (which was miles away).
    I entered the bank to be met by some Austrian fellow who seemed pretty tanked up as well but harmlessly slouched by the cashpoint. I greeted him and tried to get some money out but with some difficulty. After a while about 5 Austrian guys came in all suited & booted with bow ties and waited behind me. The drunk bloke disappeared from view and before I knew it they were all rolling around on the bank floor. I don't know what started it but I would say that it wasn't a proper fight with heads & fists but just a lot of shouting, posturing & pushing. I think the drunk guy might have done something because the others didn't look the type.
    In the end they all ran out to leave me to fathom out the cash point on my own. By the time I got back to the 3 Monkeys my brother and our mates had gone. Cheers guys. At the time & looking back, I found the cashpoint thing really quite amusing.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Safety (A happy story)

by orlikins Written Sep 12, 2002

Not so much as a warning, but a happy story.

When I arrived in Graz train station on a Saturday afternoon in late February 1999, I was picked up by my new landlord to take me to the apartment. I, in all the excitement and confusion, left my handbag at the door of the main station with all my money, wallet, passport, id and walkman inside! Very stupid of me, I know. I didnt realise I had left it behind until I got to the apartment and started to take my things out of the car. Ice-cold fear clutched my heart when I realised that I left my handbag in the station. My landlord drove me back to the station and my bag was still there where I left and everything was still inside!!!

Thats how safe it is.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

On your own

by orlikins Written May 23, 2003

Top of Leopoldstr. was a place I didnt like to be on my own at night. There were often guys just hanging about and if i did have to walk by that way, they'd shout out at me, which was uncomfortable. A couple of friends of mine experienced the same thing.

• polardabar's Profile Photo

Hum... :)

by polardabar Updated Sep 26, 2005

No waay I'm gonna comment this 1! :)

I decided to put this photo here - under Warnings and Dangers - because that's where it belongs! ;) To explain myself...

We went to a trip to Eggenberg Schloss, which I really liked, so I started taking tons of photos - just like Japanese people do... :) Anyway, out of my mind, I stared at the Sun & clicked my camera & this is what came out.

Girls from TSC, this is especially [and exclusively] for you! ;)

• Boniek's Profile Photo

It's a rich man's world!!

by Boniek Updated Jan 10, 2006

I've been to Graz 3 times and it's not a dangerous city at all. I've not had one bit of trouble of any kind so the only warning I'd give is bring a fat wallet and gold credit cards as it's not a very cheap city.

• Study Abroad

• Creepy people hanging out in McDonalds!

by girl.traveller Written May 4, 2012

I must share this, especially for women travellers to Graz. Although the city is perfectly safe, this is the place travellers should avoid; I'm sorry I can't remember the exact location, only that it was a McDonalds in a central part of the city, on a corner.

Well, as me and my friend arrived to Graz and entered this McDonalds, which was the only place open on Sunday morning around 7.30, we noticed many weird young people walking around. As we ordered and sat to eat, some of them sneaked around us, stared at us, some quarrelled loudly, shouting, one guy entered and I noticed that his white t-shirt is covered with blood stains. The security guy was there, so we stayed to finish our meal.

But when we went to the upper floor to find a toilet, it was at first uncomfortable to pass, there were only immigrant teenager boys sitting there, with unwelcome, mean stares. That guy with blood on his shirt was sitting with them. As we walked back from the toilet, they started shouting insulting words to us and laughing. As there were only them (some 10 of them) there, it was really scary.
    So we reported them to the working staff downstairs, and, on our way out, we saw the security guy going up to check. Good for that!

So it was really a creepy place, unlike McDonalds places in other cities in Europe, and unlike the rest of Graz, which is a lovely city.

• Women's Travel
    • Festivals

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Reading a map!

by Jerelis Written Apr 18, 2013

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, the catchy title of the 1992 bestseller by John Gray, succinctly expresses an ancient dilemma. What--if anything--do men's and women's brains do differently?

The general statement that men and women respond and behave differently under the same circumstances is true; For example, from the crib, male babies tend to be more aggressive and females more passive. As adults, in spatial operations, men have the edge in such skills as negotiating a maze, reading a map, and quickly discriminating between right and left. Men also perform better than women when asked to visualize an object and imagine rotating it. On the other hand, women tend to perform better than men when asked to look at objects of different shapes, sizes, and colors, and then to group them in some order.

This still doesn't explian why a woman turns the map all around when a man is asking for the road to travel, while I like the map at one point so I can better visualize our position. Help!

• Motorcycle

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Do drink enough!!!

by Jerelis Written Apr 18, 2013
    You really need it ...

For years, we have all been told of the importance of water. The general guideline has been to drink 2 liter of water each day. For a person who is not living an active lifestyle this may be enough, but if you are physically active, you need more water than that. That is especially true if you are hiking in the Alkmaar area due to the fact the average temperature is much higher than other areas and the city lanes with its historical houses and bridges will go up and down.

Water is essential for everyone, especially if you are hiking. Water helps almost every part of the human body function properly. Our bodies are almost two-thirds water, and proper hydration is essential to keep your body functioning properly during the hike. Some of the things water does in the body are:
    * The brain is 75% water; even moderate dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness;
    * Water regulates body temperature, which is especially important here in the area where the temperatures can be so brutal;
    * Water carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body
    * Blood is 92% water;
    * Water protects and cushions vital organs;
    ·* Water converts food into energy (which is something you will need on a 3 to 4 hour hike…);
    * Muscles are 75% water, and you will use many muscles on a trail as you climb above the desert floor.

• Hiking and Walking

• stiriano's Profile Photo

Clock tower hands

by stiriano Written Jun 12, 2004

Clock tower - Graz

Notice that the hour and minute hands are switched: the large hand is displaying the hour and the small hand the minutes!

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Last Sunday Train

by Imbi Updated Dec 22, 2002

I have been told that the last train leaves for airport is around 2.08 pm on Sundays. So if you are catching a late afternoon flight. Don’t miss this train.

Instant Answers: Graz

Comments

Graz Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Graz warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Graz sightseeing.