As Alpbach is a perfect place for hiking, I recommend you buy a hiking map. You can get it in the tourist information for 3,50 €. It’s on a scale of 1:30000, with some hiking recommendations (in German and English), and covers the whole region with the Alpbachtal valley, parts of the Ziller valley and the mountains north of the Inn valley. I found it really helpful.
You also can find information on hiking tours in the Alpbachtal region on www.outdooractive.com and www.wandermap.net.
When you stay in one of the villages in this area, you will get the “Alpbachtal Seenland Card”. With this, you can use quite a lot of things free of charge. Okay, you pay a visitor’s tax of 2 € per day and person, but especially the gondola lifts are expensive, so I really like this Card!
In summer, the Card includes for example:
- Wiedersberghornbahn, the Reitherkogelbahn (both are gondola lifts) and the Sonnwendjochbahn (a chair lift)
- indoor swimming pools in Alpbach, Brixlegg and Münster
- swimming lakes in Reith and Kramsach
- bus services within that region
- Museum of Tryolean Farmhouses
For a full list, please see the Alpbach website.
In winter, you get special rates for ski passes.