Imst Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Imst

Carnival & Museum - UNESCO Intangible heritage

by Trekki Updated Mar 9, 2015

This museum was another highlight of my trip to Imst & Tarrenz, especially because it is about another type of carnival than the one I grew up with (I grew up with Mainz’ Carnival). So it was especially interesting to learn about this other type of carnival.

It seems that middle European carnival can be put into two categories: a parody, satire kind of thing meant to mock the military companies of the former reigning dukes, with a lot of fine political and literary humour, in case of the Mainz’ carnival. On the other hand in the south, more or less maybe south of Danube River, where winters could be long, the carnival is more a kind of pagan event to chase away the winter. In this kind of carnival the actors all wear masks and all are men and the masks or figures are always the same. I won’t even pretend to be expert in this kind of carnival, but luckily the organisers of Imst’s Carnival Museum have their whole website in German and English, so each of the masks and figures are explained in detail.

Imst’s carnival received accolade by UNESCO in 2012 when it was added to the Intangible Heritage.On this website is also a 10 minute video about the carnival. It is narrated in German, but has English subtitles. And it explains why it can only be men behind the masks. Some of the bells do weigh 30 kg in total.....

More photos in a => more photos in a separate album.

Opening hours: Fridays from 16:00 – 19:00. We could visit the museum as part of our tour guide training on another day. But as far as I know the responsible are very open and open the doors also on request.
    Entry fee: 4 Euro for adults, 1 Euro for kids (6 – 14 years).

Location of Carnival Museum in Imst on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., March 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Houses, cut into the rocks - fascinating!

by Trekki Updated Mar 9, 2015

At the beginning of Rosengarten Gorge you will notice these very interesting houses, cut into the rock or cliff. This cliff is very interesting too because it is solidified layers of river gravel (maybe visible in my fourth photo). These houses were partially cut into the rock some time ago, especially because the rooms inside the rock layers provide cool space and have been storage in the past days.

Location of “Bergl” houses on Bing Maps.

• Hiking and Walking

Fabulous gorge for hikers

by Trekki Updated Mar 9, 2015

My personal „drama“.. was this gorge. But more about this later.

Rosengartenschlucht, rose garden gorge, is a fantastic wild gorge which starts (or ends) almost directly in Imst’s centre. It is approx. 1 ½ km in length, cut into the rocks by Schinderback River. It leads up to Hoch-Imst, a kind of high located suburb of Imst.

Directly behind where the path starts are some fascinating houses which are partially cut into the rock, called ”Bergl”. The path is paved until it reaches the entrance of the gorge. From here I can only highly advise to wear sturdy shoes with ankle protection and good grip: the path, partially over rocks, can be slippery also in good weather. The path leads up most of the time over these rocks, sometimes steps are cut into the rocks. And of course bridges are built where it crosses the river. But only a very few parts are secured by handrails or ropes. Sometimes the steps are quite high – I had some problems from time to time, but then I am short...

I could only hike up half the gorge. Silly me had worked with the notebook 2 days earlier for quite a long time, lying on the bed. And the effect was that I had a very painful strain in my chest. Luckily it was only a strain, but on the day of our hike I thought it could be a pleurisy... so I wanted to be on the safe side.

But nevertheless – even half of the hike was already spectacular. Highly recommended!!

In addition to a description of the hike on Imst’s website there is also a flyer, albeit in German, but with a nice map which also shows sights to see left and right of the upper gorge part.

Location of (1) entrance to Rosengartenschlucht, (2) exit of Rosengartenschlucht on Bing Maps.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

For the adventurous - an alpine coaster

by Trekki Updated Mar 9, 2015

I am not really sure if I shall add this as to-do or into the sports section, but given that people might not look up sports reviews that much, I’ll add it here. And I must say that I didn’t make the ride, but many in our group did. So at least I watched it.

Decide yourself if this is something for you. It is said to be the longest coaster in the Alps, with 3500 metres and an altitude difference of 500 metres. From what I saw it seems to be safe for kids too because it can be slowed down easily. There is a video on the Alpine Coaster website which shows the fun people had (at 1:12 and following minutes) and given the comments of the others in my group I think that it is fun. But I was still recovering from a silly strain in my chest so I didn’t try it out.

The prices vary and depend if one walks up to the starting point or if one takes the lift. See pricelist for details: ticket prices

How to get up there? With bus or car to Hoch-Imst and then either walking up or taking the chair lift.

Location of Alpine Coaster start and end point on Bing Maps.

Imst's surroundings

by Trekki Updated Mar 6, 2015

Imst is centre of this region in Tyrol, Austria, with heaps of interesting sights and activities. Of these many I would like to point out some which I visited:

Museum and exhibition devoted to a female healer:
    This was my personal highlight: it is an exhibition and explanatory centre devoted to a woman whose remains have been found buried away from any settlement or church, and buried face down. It can be visited only together with the mining hamlet “Knappenwelt”.

”Knappenwelt”, mining hamlet rebuilt:
    Rebuilt mining hamlet to show the importance of the region as mining centre for any kind of ore in medieval and past medieval times. That’s especially interesting for kids because it has a lot of activities in context to mining.

”Biermythos” – beer tours and tastings:
    Very special beer tasting and beer manufacturing brewery, located in an old castle.

And then of course famous Zugspitze, Germany’s highest mountain, with the peak shared with Austria. Ehrwald and Lermoos, the Austrian ski resorts, from where Zugspitze can be reached on the Austrian side (photo 3 and 4), are located only 20 km to the north.
    On the way to Zugspitze, on Fernpass to be precise (1216 m), is a nice lake, Fernstein Lake (main photo). It can be excessively crowded especially with busses, but parking is available – in theory. When I passed it end of October 2014, we had snow the days before and the atmosphere was even more fascinating than just in summer.

Innsbruck is approx. 60 km to the east, connected by train with Imst’s train station.

And of course the famous ski resorts, such as luxury St. Anton and Lech (at Arlberg), 40 – 60 km to the west) or Obergurgl 60 km to the south are in almost easy reach from Imst. Well, provided that there is no traffic jam.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

The churches of Imst and some specials

by Trekki Updated Mar 5, 2015

Imst has several churches, some are quite remarkable for such a small town.

Especially St. Laurentiús on the little hill called “Bergl” is interesting because inside it has remains from an earlier church: a stone from a rood screen with Christogramm, dated 5th century. On the day when I was in Imst with my group of students it was closed when I walked up on the hill. The lady in the tourist office told me that it is open on request only. It was too late for me that time (the “joys” of group travels, individual very different interests and flexibility..), but I hope that I can come back to see the inside. At least I could find a => photo.

Maria Himmelfahrt (photo 3) in the northern part of the town is Imst’s parish church. It is interesting from the outside with its stepped gable I otherwise know only from the buildings of Brick Gothic style in northern Europe. Together with the frescoes on the walls, the cemetery and its arcades at the southern end it is very peaceful. Inside it has some nice guild poles (photo 4).

And then there is Johanneskirche (St. John’s Church) in the town centre, opposite of the tourist office. It has an old origin, was most probably the hospital church in 13th century, but was destroyed by a rockslide, rebuilt and damaged by a huge fire in 1822. The today structure is from 1831.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Beautiful fountains and paths through Imst

by Trekki Updated Feb 9, 2015

A special feature in Imst are the fountains. Once very important meeting places in times when the houses didn’t have running water, let alone washing machines, they were the centre of the community where things were talked about and newest gossip was spread.

The town council has restored the many fountains and has established paths through upper and lower town along the fountains. These paths are called Upper and Lower Fountain Circles (Oberer und Unterere Brunnenkroas in local dialect). In total it is approx. 40 fountains on both paths, both meet near the tourist office. Almost each of the fountains has a beautiful statue of a saint or religious person, many of the statues were made by the local artist Josef Anton Renn of 18th century.

Since we were in Tarrenz and Imst for a working week with our “tour guide academy” group, had classroom sessions in the morning and sightseeing in the afternoon, we had “hiking through Rosengartenschlucht” on our agenda that first afternoon. So no time was left to see the fountains, but at least I found two near the entrance to the gorge:
    Nepomuk Fountain is located on the little bridge over Malchbach River, near the tourist office. The river separates upper and lower part of Imst and Nepomuk, the saint of the bridges, shall mean that he and the bridge “build bridges” or forge links between the two parts of the town. Behind the bridge and Nepomuk is another sculpture, the Sun Fountain (Sonnenbrunnen), from 1991 a more modern one.
    The other fountain I saw is located at the entrance of the gorge Rosengartenschucht: it is called Guardian Angel Fountain (Schutzengelbrunnen) with archangel Raphael and the child Tobias, meant to say that each child has a guardian angel.

On the practical side: each of the fountains provides fresh drinking water. And oh my, the water tastes really good because it is not contaminated with any ingredient that does not belong into water (like it is the case in many drinking water bottles and the industry behind that).

Imst’s website has a folder with a map of the paths and descriptions of each fountain sculpture. Sadly the folder is in German only, but the map is good and detailed. Although the English website has photos of each of the fountains: click on “All fountains of Imst” below “Further information”.

© Ingrid D., February 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• gubbi1's Profile Photo

Parish Church Mariae Himmelfahrt

by gubbi1 Written Jun 17, 2012

The Parish Church Mariae Himmelfahrt is a late gothic church that was rebuilt in 1462 to 1493. In the 18th century the church was partly changed to baroque style, but end of the 19th century beginning 20th century changed back to gothic style with an enlargement of the tower to 84 meters. Especially the paintings on the outside wall of the church are worth to be mentioned.

Parish Church Mariae Himmelfahrt, Imst, AT Parish Church Mariae Himmelfahrt, Imst, AT Parish Church Mariae Himmelfahrt, Imst, AT Parish Church Mariae Himmelfahrt, Imst, AT Parish Church Mariae Himmelfahrt, Imst, AT
    • Architecture

• gubbi1's Profile Photo

Admire the Fountains

by gubbi1 Written Jun 17, 2012

Throughout Imst there are 42 (!) fountains that can be admired. They have information plates attached, that explain about them. A proposed walk connects the fountains. There are even guided tours with water tasting.
    Please check the link for more details about the many fountains.

Fountains of Imst, Imst, AT Fountains of Imst, Imst, AT Fountains of Imst, Imst, AT Fountains of Imst, Imst, AT
    • Architecture

• WStat's Profile Photo

How to spend Christmas in Imst ?

by WStat Written May 9, 2008

A difficult question, as Imst is one of Austrias greatest and most developed ski-areas, consisting of dozens of several mountain-slopes and funiculars, a lot of various hotels and 100eds of skiing possibilities to choose of.
    Have a look at the webcams, at
    and check out some of the closer areas; in general the core of Imst is one of the most typical, Tyrolean mountain-villages (now developed to a resort). Christmas is a more quiet, but never boring holiday. You will find plenty of various celebrations (to be recommended: join the midnight-mass in the church of Imst, you'll hear some old beautiful carrols and songs)and all kind of events, discos and after-ski chillouts !
    Have fun & greetings from Austria !

The Imst greater area
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Skiing and Boarding

Instant Answers: Imst

Comments

Imst Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Imst things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Imst sightseeing.