Hofburg, Innsbruck

Know about this? Rate It!

court house
    by chancay
    The Imperial Palace in Innsbruck
    by sim1
  • Hofburg
    by steventilly
  • chancay's Profile Photo

Imperial Court Palace (Hofburg)

by chancay Updated Mar 3, 2003

court house

Favorite thing: Duke Friedrich IV got the house in 1401 . Queen Maria Theresia had it transformed into a monumental residence of late baroque style.
    In 1990 a renovation of the Imperial Residence begun. Inside thereĀ“s today restauration and a museum.
    The buiding itself is very beautiful, on the photo you can see a part of it.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

• sim1's Profile Photo

The Imperial Palace

by sim1 Updated Sep 2, 2002

The Imperial Palace in Innsbruck

Favorite thing:
    This is a picture of the Imperial Palace. You can visit the palace, but somehow it didn't appeal to me. Right next to the palace is the 'Sacher cafe' in which you can taste the famous Sacher Torte. Hahaha, I didn't even try this! Hmm, quite remarkable, because I love cake. But I think that I didn't give it a try, because I felt like a tourist trap to me.

But there is something special about this picture. Do you see the bit of sunshine? Well, I think it is the only bit of sunshine I saw in Innsbruck. And it lasted for only a minute, just enough for me to quickly make this picture.

The palace was built by Archduke Siegmund the Rich in late Gothic style around 1460. The palace was converted by Empress Maria Theresia (1754-1773). It has a splendid Giant's Hall, and ceiling frescos by F.A. Maulbertsch and portraits of the imperial family.

Opening hours:

Daily from 09:00 am to 5:00 pm (last admission at 4:30 pm)

Closed on August 15.

• steventilly's Profile Photo

This is the internal courtyard...

by steventilly Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: This is the internal courtyard of the Hofburg, once the base of the Hapsburgs. You can visit the interior of these buildings, though we didn't bother, it was such a lovely day I didn't want to see stuffy indoor types of things.

In this courtyard you will also find the Cafe Sacher, if you feel the need to stop for Coffee & Cake (I do, I do).

Instant Answers: Innsbruck