Personal Memories and Impressions, Innsbruck

Know about this? Rate It!

Me & Sonja at the Medical University
    by reeka
  • Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Hofgarten.

by Maurizioago Updated Feb 26, 2007

Favorite thing: This park was originally founded as a hunting ground. Later it was declared a public garden. There are various plants and a small lake here. At one of the entrances of the park there is a cafe-restaurant.

The Hofgarten is open from 9 a. m. to sunset. It is located very near the Imperial Palace.

• Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

• Sal21's Profile Photo

The Brilliant world of Medicine

by Sal21 Written Feb 28, 2006

Fondest memory: I had this amazing oppurtunity to visit one of Austria's oldest Medical Universities with the help of my friend Sonja who is a med student herself!
    It was like being at home with the doctors and books,the specimens and cadavers..ok,thats gross for most of the people...but hey..thats how we learn medicine and treat you guys!

Me & Sonja at the Medical University
    • Study Abroad

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Walking the streets

by TinKan Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Although we did not get to spend much time in Innsbruck and it was raining, we did get to see some beautiful buildings and do some shopping in the local market.

Everyone we met was just so nice and helpful with directions to the local sites and shopping..

Fondest memory: Be sure to go to the old center of town and see the market, the congress and the historic buildings found here.

The walking street is a nice area to just poke around in the shops there and (if ya know me) a nice place to sit and have coffee and watch the world go by.

The local market

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Bergisel Skijumping hill

by Bigs Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The view form the cafe & restaurant on top of the skijump on Bergisel is fantastic. I also loved exploring this place. You can have a look in the stadium, than go up with the lifts to the jump itself...The first lift runs along the jump and you get some good impressions how steep the hill is! On top of the jump there is a wonderful cafe with panoramic windows... Look straight down while having one of those fantastic cakes.

Fondest memory: I especially miss our friends from Croatia, which we met here. Nykaenen and Seni, you have been wonderful lads to hanga round with. I also miss the nice people, the great bars and restaurants and the mountains... I´m sure that I will be back someday....

The cafe on top of the jump
    • Adventure Travel

• Lan's Profile Photo

Being yourself in the nature

by Lan Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: First of all, hiking in the mountains in summer. During summer the local tourist office organize hikes for free with bus and guides. No matter you go there alone or with your loved one, you will have great fun in the mountains

Fondest memory: How did I passed my day? starting with a big breakfast; picking lunch (2 panini and a bottle of water) from an Italian lady's shop close to the university; hiking during the day; sauna and refresh in cold air on the balcone of the hotel health center; big dinner in my hotel restaurant, where I could have anything I saw on or out of the manu, the nice waiters used to prepare a dish of fruit for me to take to my hotel room, and some of the fruit would be next day's lunch :) some tv before falling asleep - usually it's not difficult :)

• Hiking and Walking

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Magical scenery!

by bugalugs Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The mountains were still covered in snow as were many of the roads. It also snowed quite a bit while we were there. But it was really beautiful

Innsbruck is the capital of the Tyrol in western Austria, with a population of about 120,000. It is located in the eastern alps and is primarily a winter sports resort which also hosted the Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976.

The bridge over the River Inn, which gives the city its name made Innsbruck an important point on the trade routes to Germany from Italy and Switzerland.

I remember this bridge so vividly, it was very snowy and icy and crossing it we had to take great care not to land on our bottoms!

Our hotel was situated on the quieter side of the bridge, but we had to cross here in the evenings to get a little light refreshment :) at one or many of the bars! A group of us would go out in the evenings to sample the local brew (more of an exercise than enjoyment) and returning to our hotel we all had to hang onto each other to cross this bridge, each trying to hold up the other! :))

Fondest memory: As this holiday was many years ago when my mum was alive, my fondest memory is of course being with her, she was such a 'nutcase' (and I mean that in the nicest sense). She drew people to her, young and old alike and it was such a happy holiday.

• barrowlass's Profile Photo

Travelling in Innsbruck

by barrowlass Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The ease of travelling in and out of the city - train and bus journeys are well co-ordinated and can be paid for with one inclusive ticket.

Fondest memory: Visiting Schloss Ambrass just outside of the city - you can spend hours and hours just looking around at the artefacts and artwork. Also visiting Munding's the best place for ice cream!!!!

Joe and Sheila outside Mundings
    • Spa and Resort

• Babybeary's Profile Photo

Babybeary's General Tip

by Babybeary Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: This place holds one of the sweetest memory for mine travel in Europe. It was a bit comical and cute. :p

We arrived in a hotel that is like country house style. The interior design is so neat and special. Simply love it. :)

That day was very cold and you do know that when it is cold, the warm air that you breathe out will become smoke-like stream. The batch of us were soo.... excited as it is the first time that we experienced this. So we just kept talking and attempted to create as much 'smoke' as possible. We were so excited that we were jumping up and down, trying to create enough heat so that it is not so cold. :p

After a while, we got tired and went back to our room. The weather got colder and we are beginning to shiver. We were so glad when we realised that there is a heater in our room. Ha ha ha... At least we wouldn't freeze to death, we think. :)

We fiddled with the heater and surrounded it waiting patiently for the warm air. After a while, we realised that the heater is not working. Hmmmm.... We went to the person-in-charge for help and you know what's the problem with the heater?????????

There is no problem. The person explained, 'It is now summer and we do not switch on the heater during summer...'

Ha ha ha... we got a shock. For babies like us born near the equator, this kind of temperature was too cold to be considered summer. :p

It was a wonderful experience and yes, we are still safe and healthy today. We survived the cold. :)

• oja's Profile Photo

Well, visit Innsbruck!It's...

by oja Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing:

Well, visit Innsbruck!

It's got all that quaintness in the historic centre, huge mountains as a shield, and a university which surely helps keeping up its spirits. I can easily imagine I could live there for a while.

Fondest memory: The Midsummer night last Saturday (23 June) when a chain of bonfires was lit on mountain tops all around the city. They didn't make a perfect ring as planned, but it still looked impressive. The whole city was out in the Old Town drinking, singing and celebrating. I really liked the atmosphere.

• phildeni's Profile Photo

Have lunch or dinner on the...

by phildeni Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Have lunch or dinner on the patio of a great Italian restaurant(do not remember the name). It is right on the river,by the bridge, and the view across the Inn is fabulous.Walk Maria-Theresa Strasse to the square and you can not miss the Goldenes Dach (golden roof) built by Emporer Maxmilian in 1494.

Fondest memory: Strolling the streets on a Sunday afternoon, having lunch and looking across the river at the beautiful old hotels and other buildings with the Alps as a backdrop! Wonderful!!

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Krystynn's General Tip

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: Shopping around the Golden Roof area was terribly memorable for me... for it was here that I met the UGLIEST (read: rude, racist) Austrians which ALMOST spoilt my European vacation! AND THE PLACE TO AVOID? The Swaroski Crystal Shop at this area (see pic) - just next to the Golden Roof! I'm VERY sure the more educated Austrians wouldn't be behaving in this manner. I'd expand later on what those darn salesgirls at Swaroski did. If it weren't for the fact that my Mom loooooved Swaroski crystals, I would have stalked out of the shop! But I DID come back again the very next day to shop and to wreak VENGEANCE (yeah, yeah... like what Julia Roberts did in 'Pretty Woman') and wore my BEST outfit in there.... and didn't buy anything in the end.

Anyway, my hotel, the Innsbruck was just a 1-minute walk away from this place.... so, I didn't go through too much hassle.

• Go to the alpine zoo - it is a...

by PurpleKaty Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to the alpine zoo - it is a bit of a trek (i didn't realise they meant it was on a mountain!) but it is lovely to watch bears froliking whilst in the background is the most stunning veiws you could ever want

Fondest memory: The views of the mountains and the river from the bridge are amazing - i could have spent hours just drinking it in.

• I went to Innsbruck with my...

by nusigma Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: I went to Innsbruck with my oldest son, Jaime and a group from Puerto Rico, Peru, Argentina, Brazil and Venezuela on a tour from Panavision of Spain.

When you enter Innsbruck you inmediately see the Winter Olympic facilities and it caused a great impact on myself.

Fondest memory: Small hotel, cozy, good food.

• Stadt Park

by reeka Written Oct 22, 2003

Favorite thing: The gardens can be found outside the old town's gates. Across the road from where the horse drawn carriages line up.

• Gardens

by reeka Written Oct 22, 2003

Favorite thing: You should definitely visit the local park. In the summer time they are perfectly manicured with the most beautiful colourful flowers in bloom.

It was a pleasure walking round the park.

Instant Answers: Innsbruck