People, Innsbruck

by sabsi
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

ANDREAS HOFER

by balhannah Written Jun 12, 2014

I came across the plaque on the wall of the Goldener Adler Hotel. I took the photo and wondered who was this person? - must be some one important!

Andreas Hofer, was born in Tirol in 1767. During his lifetime, he was an innkeeper, wine merchant, cattle dealer, patriot, military leader, and popular hero, quite a mixture! He was very loyal to the Austrian house of Habsburg and the Roman Catholic church.

When the Tirol was taken over by Bavaria in 1805, he fought hard against Bavarian, Italian and French troops occupying his homeland. Austria gave up their fight against Napoleon and once again it was under Bavarian rule. Andreas wasn't letting this happen, so he called for an uprising and the Bavarians were defeated so decisively, they had to retreat back to Bavaria. This was not the last war, there were many more!

He was finally captured near his home, taken to Mantua, and on Napoleon’s orders executed. In 1823 his bones were transferred to Innsbruck. Just before he died he uttered "The Tyrol will be Austrian again" - this was fulfilled three years later.

The poem “Sandwirth Hofer,” by Julius Mosen, is still the Tirolese anthem.

• iris2002's Profile Photo

How to YODEL ... a tutorial

by iris2002 Updated Apr 4, 2011

When in Innsbruck/Tyrol --- or Austria in general you will hear a lot of folk-music mostly connected with some serious YODELING :)

But how does one do that : holladiholladiridio???? Yodel-Ay-Ee-Oooo?????????

The facial contortions are the first thing you notice ...

Let's begin by going over some of the consonant and vowel sounds combined to create the language of yodel. Try this with higher notes also moving toward the natural break from your chest voice to your head voice....

JODEL COURSE LEVEL1
    (with audio)

course in yodellin
    • Singles

• Chess Anyone...?

by reeka Written Oct 22, 2003

Our horse drawn carriage ride dropped us off by the local park, I cannot remember its name, but as it was such a beautiful day we ventured inside. Actually we could hear music coming from the gardens which enticed us to go in the first place.

As we were following the sound, we came upon a little area where people were playing chess with the 'life' size pieces.

I used to be able to play the game when I was younger, alas, I cannot remember it now.

The picture is a little dark, the chess board is just outside the building were the brass band were playing.

• Friendly People

by sabsi Written Jan 6, 2003

I was surprised how friendly everybody in Innsbruck was, no matter where. Staff in restaurants and in the hotel, people you met in the streets... everybody was just friendly. I loved it.

No fiakers please!