What to pack for Innsbruck

it's not just where you are
    by richiecdisc
  • obtaining perspective by utilizing distance
    obtaining perspective by utilizing...
    by richiecdisc
  • my lovely wife Doreen flanked by my Dad and sister
    my lovely wife Doreen flanked by my Dad...

Most Viewed What to Pack in Innsbruck

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

backpacks still have their advantages

by richiecdisc Updated May 7, 2014

Luggage and bags: When traveling by train, it’s even more important to travel lightly than ever. Also, though wheeled suitcases have come more and more into vogue, when it comes to train travel, the old reliable backpack is still supreme. You are generally doing a lot of stairs and it’s not early as easy to drag the wheeled ones up and down. Another factor is the aisles of the train, which are too narrow for all but the narrowest wheeled suitcases. We quite a few changes on the trip down to Bolzano so that compounds these factors and when exploring Mittenwald for a few hours, those with backpacks had an easier time than those wheeling.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Comfortable walking shoes are a must when exploring old town centers like Innsbruck. Dressing in layers is generally a good idea in mountain ares where weather is very unpredictable. That said, it was roasting hot when we were there but I'm sure that's not the norm, even in summer.

Photo Equipment: Telescopic lens are great for capturing not only fine detail on buildings but also for getting a better perspective thus attained by taking shots of buildings in the distance and avoiding the pyramid effect. Of course, that's not always possible and a wide angle is needed.

Miscellaneous: Great travel companions are in the end what makes or breaks a trip and I was happy to have not only my absolute favorite of all time in my wife but also my father and sister in tow.

Continue with my Dad and sister trip with us to Bolzano or return to the intro page of Innsbruck.

obtaining perspective by utilizing distance my lovely wife Doreen flanked by my Dad and sister it's not just where you are
    • Trains
    • Photography

• ealgisi's Profile Photo

Winter / Spring

by ealgisi Written Mar 18, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The weather can change really drastically from one day to the other, so bring warm clothes just in case it will rain, or it will be cold.

Miscellaneous: If you want to go up in the mountain during this seasons, remember to take really warm clothes and confortable hiking shoes, because you'll find snow !

• s-e-n-i's Profile Photo

general

by s-e-n-i Written Jan 16, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In Sep you might need a jacket or sweater (especially in evenings), but if you intend to stay on the sun for a long time (like on ski jumping competition), I suggest you to take shirts without sleeves, shorts and some open summer shoes. It can get really hot!!!
    In winter don't forget to take your warm clothes, but also some not too warm!! Wheater is really changeable!!!!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sun protection cream in any time of the year!!!
    It's amazing how easiliy you can get sunburnt!! (even in winter)

Miscellaneous: Don't forget your umbrella!!!!

Sometimes it's really cloudy

• klaus_b's Profile Photo

by klaus_b Updated Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Be prepared for all(sun, wind, rain, snow...); if you want to visit the mountains, please take the right equipment with you (protecting from wind, rain, snow; good shoes!! wheather can change within a few minutes)

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Camping is only allowed at campgrounds, but in the mountains you should have no problems (but use special equipment - it can be very cold and wet)

• lvdpiet's Profile Photo

by lvdpiet Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: You can do Innsbruck in different kind of traveltypes.
    Prepare for much walking to do. The things you need are depending on your traveltype. Knowing you are all travelling people: You know what you need !

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Don't forget: In Austria is a lot of rain ! The country i'sn't green from nothing!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Everything can be bought in a country like Austria , so if you forget anything, no problem.

Photo Equipment: The sights are beautiful, so bring your best gear !

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Prepare for rain !

Miscellaneous: You know what to do !

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It's really great to experience the Spring weather here in Austria. Do you know that @ end-March, it was still snowing heavily in some parts of Austria? Wow, I'm truly enthralled by this whole snowing experience. So, if you're heading to Austria, try and pack along thicker jackets (woollen preferably) in anticipation of the snow ...et al.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: TOILETRIES: Hm. First of all, pour your face lotion, toner, cleanser et al into miniature (travel-sized) bottles. Remember, everything else should be transferred into miniature plastic bottles to save luggage space.

MEDICINE: VERY, VERY important. Don't forget to bring it along with you.

A box of strong aspirins. I was recovering from a high fever (got it in Germany).... By the time we reached Innsbruck, my body temperature had gone back to normal but I was now suffering from a bleeding nose (!!) due to the high altitude and weather, I think. Oh well...

Decolgen Pills to combat the flu bug.

Lozenges. In case your throat gives way mid-way through your trip.... like mine did!

These are the major pills that I usually bring along with me. Most importantly, you must know your body and health condition well. Some of you may be more prone to suffering from stomach ailments; so in that case, you should be packing along pills to combat that. Hope the above info will help you out a little. Happy packing!

Photo Equipment: For non-photographic buffs like myself, I'd recommend a state-of-the-art 'point and shoot' camera.... for dummies.

Miscellaneous: DON'T forget to bring along your much-treasured ATM card and.... a VERY open mind. Remember, if your ATM card is linked to the international networks of 'Cirrus', 'Plus', 'The Exchange' etc, you can withdraw money from any ATM machines in the world!! Really. And what's more, you'd even benefit from the low interbank exchange rates being given to you vis-a-vis the rates your local money-changer charges.

I have survived on this method for ALL my trips abroad and so far, no ATM machines in this world have failed me. Yet. Oh, O.K.... I did face some difficulties trying to get $$$ out of the ATM machine at the Don Muang Airport in Bangkok very recently (June 2000). I quickly called up the Bank (I'm sure you do know your bank's hotline number, right?) and my problem was immediately solved and I could withdraw my much-needed cash again. :-))

If you haven't tried this method i.e. use your ATM card instead of traveler's checks OR changing your money into Austrian currency BEFORE your trip, I challenge you to do so today! And yes, be pleasantly surprised at how much you can save at the end of the day using this method.

Good luck!

Photo Below:Our last look at the lovely GOLDEN ROOF.

'When you're traveling, ask the traveler for advice, not someone whose lameness keeps him in one place.' - Rumi

Innsbruck Hotels

Romantik Hotel Schwarzer Adler
Ibis Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: Innsbruck

Comments

Innsbruck What to Pack

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Innsbruck locals.
Map of Innsbruck