Been here? Rate It!
The Anna Column was built between 1704 and 1706 to commemorate Tirol's successful resistance of an invasion from Bavaria in 1703, during the War of Spanish Succession. The column has representations of the St. Anna, the Virgin Mary, and the patron saints of Tirol. It stands tall and proud with the snow capped mountains as its backdrop, and together with the Triumphal Arch at the far end of Maria-Theresien Strasse, makes for two of the most outstanding features of this elegant street.
Annasäule (St Anne's Column)
The Annasäule, or St Anne's Column, stands in the elegant and popular Maria-Theresien-Straße. This column topped with a statue of the virgin Mary was sculpted by Cristoforo Benedetti and erected in 1704 to celebrate the repelling of a Bavarian attack the previous year. The statues at the base are:
St Anne to the North (mother of the virgin Mary)
Kassian to the West (Patron saint of the diocese of Brixen
Virgil to the East (patron of the diocese of Trent)
St George with Dragon and lance to the South.
The original statues were removed in 2009 and replaced with copies. The originals are safely stored away elsewhere in Innsbruck.
Anna's column - Annasäule
In anno 1703, under the rule of Max Emanuel of Bavaria - see Max Emanuel of Bavaria on Wikipedia an invasion was threatening Tirol.
On the 26 july 1703, the name day of St Anne, Innsbruck was delivered and with this the whole of Tirol. In gratitude of it was raised the Anna's column.
- Historical Travel
Baroque Annasäule (Anne's column
Baroque Annasäule (Anne's column) is actually a Maria column in Innsbruck's center which was established by 1706 after a 1704 promise by public authorities, because on St. Anne's Day, July 26, 1703, Bavarian invaders were defeated and expelled from the Tyrol (for a while, to be precise).
The monument was created by Italian sculptor Cristoforo Benedetti, from Trento. It was consecrated on St. Anne's Day, 1706, by the archbishop of Brixen. St. Anne is represented by one of the four statues at the foot of the column (N-side). The others are St. George, one of the protectors of the Tyrol (S), St. Cassian of Imola, protector of Brixen (W), and St. Vigilius of Trent, protector of Trent (E).
Due to corrosion, the Maria statue on the top of the monument was replaced by a copy in 1958, and the original was lent and is still kept at Fiecht Abbey's St. Joseph Church (St. Joseph being the other one of Tyrol's protectors).
In the center of Maria Theresien Strasse you can see the column of St.Anna erected among 1704 and 1706 on sketch of C.Benedetti. It was realized for celebrating the liberation of the city from the Bavarian troops during the Spanish war (1703). On the plinth there are the statues of St.Anna and the protecting saints of the Tirol.
- Historical Travel
- Arts and Culture
Annasäule - the column on Maria Theresien-Strasse
Annasäule is the name of the famous column in the middle of Maria Theresien-Strasse and it was donated in the year 1706 in order to commemorate the withdrawl of the bavarian troops on the day of Holy Anna in 1703.
My picture shows also the panorama-view of the Alps next to Innsbruck, unfortunately hidden by heavy clouds :-(
On a clear and sunny day this view is really great, as some of these mountains will be snow-covered most of the year and they seem to be really close behind the column of Holy Anna.
- Religious Travel
Perhaps this scene is the one...
Perhaps this scene is the one Innsbruck is the most famous for. It was widely displayed in the media during the Olympics. After passing through the city gates, you arrive upon this obelisk. It evokes the spirit of the city, and is located in the middle of the main street. Pass beyond this monument, and you have arrived!!
This corinthian column, made of red marble, was erected in 1703 remembering the liberation of Bavaria.
- Family Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices