Telfs Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Telfs

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

The "Schleicherlaufen VT-meeting"

by lotharlerch Updated May 8, 2010

After missing the Schleicherlaufen of 2000 and 2005 we (Globetrott, MEdelmann and me) met in my home for a rather "exclusive" (taking into account the number of participants) VT-member meeting January 29 - February 1, 2010. The most important topic of the meeting programme was to attend the "Schleicherlaufen 2010" with its central event on Sunday, January 31. On Friday evening we started with a nice dinner in my home (mainly freshly smoked charr from Pettnau fish smokery with "Vinschger" bread and a superb Weissburgunder (pinot blanc) wine from MEdelmann's own production in Göttlesbrunn - an incredibly perfect harmony of fish and wine).

On Saturday we made an excursion first to enjoy the panorama from Mösern with scenic views which you can find in two famous paintings of Albrecht Duerer (one of them a self-portrait with this background, now in the Prado Museum in Madrid). From there we continued to Seefeld and further on to Mittenwald in Bavaria (famous for manufactoring of violins and nice houses with paintings in upper-Bavarian baroque style, so-called "Lüftlmalerei") and to Garmisch-Partenkirchen with a visit of the frozen Eibsee lake below Germany's highest mountain and the brand new ski jumping trampolin in the historic ski stadium from the 1936 Winter Olympics. You may find most of this on the pages to come (from Globetrott and MEdelmann).

Sunday we attended the Schleicherlaufen which took most of the day (pages about this under construction or coming soon).

In the evenings we had nice chats about our various funny travel experiences.

Monday morning was time to say good-bye but we agreed to meet again long before the next "Schleicherlaufen" taking place in 2015...

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Festivals

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

Schleicherlaufen

by lotharlerch Updated Apr 16, 2005

a

This event takes place every fifth year in the carnival (most recent was on 30 January 2005). The origin are probably pre-christian myths around the fight of darkness and light or winter and spring. A lot of various fantastically masked groups (more than 500 actors, no women, also the female parts are played by men) are playing this struggle on a Sunday with lots of pre- and post activities on Saturday and Monday.
    It is - together with the Schemenlaufen in Imst - the most important traditional carnival event in Tirol.
    See more in the travelogue.
    The pictures are taken from an official website, see below
    I was myself sick with a flu this day so I could not attend it and make pics myself.

Instant Answers: Telfs

Comments

Telfs Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Telfs local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Telfs sightseeing.