Know about this? Rate It!
Karlsplatz, connecting the centre with the church
The Karlsplatz (Charles Aquare) is a special place to roam around in. Here, in between the huge Karlskirche (Charles church), the city centre with the Artists House (Kunstlerhaus), the conservatorium (Muzik Verein) and the City historical museum, one can find pleasant open space with playgrounds for children, small café's in Jugendstil metro-houses and large fountains. For those who are lovers of modern art. Henry Moore left his signature on the square too, in the form of a very graceful statue.
Otto Wagner's Karlsplatz Station
This must be the most aesthetic subway entrance in Vienna, and comparable to the finest anywhere in the world. Wagner went all out here and indulged in an elaborate use of ornamentation that is far removed from his normal "minimalism." The gold trimmings and the sunflower motif, though, are well-suited for this baroque square. There are actually two Wagner pavillions here; one is used as a summertime cafe, the other houses temporary art exhibits. (Now if only the city of Vienna would clean up the Karlplatz park to make it worthy of the architecture that surrounds it!)
Actually it isn't that off the beaten tracks >:) just mine ... hehe Karlsplatz Cafe is a centre of crossroads of the underground and trams. The square got its recent look in 1977-78 when Sven Ingvar Andersson presented its view how the square should look like :). The central part of the whole square except the Karlskirche is an old building of public transport station created by Otto Wagner. The building is divided on two parts and one is underground stop and the other one is cafe (during the summer) and small gallery.
The Karlsplatz pavilions were created by Otto Wagner 1898-1899. Watch the beautiful golden decorations and the lovely green-coloured roofs. There's a café in one of the pavilions.
- Historical Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Vienna Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path