Vienna What to Pack

Most Recent What to Pack in Vienna

• MarieGutscher's Profile Photo

PACK LIGHT - LOOK GREAT

by MarieGutscher Written Jun 22, 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you want to be able to feel comfortable now matter what restaurant or bar you walk into dress nicely. I brought dress pants, comfortable dress/walking boots - blouses and jackets. My husband wore chino's and collared shirts - that way no matter where we went - we were never under dressed...and believe me in this city - it's too easy to be UNDERDRESSED!

• ErinInMD's Profile Photo

Packing can be a challenge

by ErinInMD Written May 22, 2004

A random street in Vienna

Luggage and bags: My main "purse" was a messenger bag that held my digital camera, a light book about Vienna, maps, and a small notebook that I could write in. It had enough zippers and such to make it pretty hard for anyone to get in while I wore it.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: When I was there - which was May ... the weather was warm, cold, windy and rainy. That doesn't make it easy when you're trying to pack.

I highly recommend comfy shoes because you will be doing a lot of walking on cobblestone streets. I wore heels for one night only and I only had to walk two blocks and that was a challenge!

A small umbrella and a light sweater are wise things to bring in the spring. I found myself having to buy an extra sweater/coat because the evenings were a bit on the chilly side.

The wind can be wicked - so if you have long hair, you'll want to bring something to tie it back when the wind starts ripping. Unless, of course you're really trying to go for the windblown look. Who am I to judge?

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I always bring Band-Aids if I know I'll being walking a lot. Luckily I didn't need them this trip.

If you need to go to a drugstore (Apotheke), you should know that their hours vary, but a sign will be posted to let you know which ones are open.

Photo Equipment: Digitial cameras are the way to go. Bring extra charged batteries while you're walking around town because you will use up the main battery with all the pictures you'll take of the amazing buildings.

• Architecture
    • Music

• CandS's Profile Photo

Packing...

by CandS Written Sep 19, 2003

Our gear...

Luggage and bags: Take a comfortable backpack with not too much weight...

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good walking shoes are a must...you will probably walk almost everywhere you go...

Photo Equipment: Make sure you take a lot of film for the many photos you will want to take. A zoom lens also comes in handy for getting to those 'hard to reach' places... A tripod is a great addition too for those night photos...Vienna has some great buildings to photograph at night...

• Phillylawyer_19107's Profile Photo

Ouch - pack sensible shoes

by Phillylawyer_19107 Written Aug 7, 2003
    Sore feet in Vienna

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Probably most of you already know this, but I can't point out enough how valuable comfy shoes are in Vienna. First, the cobblestone streets really kill your feet and second, most of the attractions are in the city center, so you won't be riding the subway or streetcar much, but rather walk everywhere. I didn't start out with the most comfortable shoes and those are my feet on the second day. In case the photo isn't good - there are bandaids all over the toes and red marks from the shoes.

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Climate in Vienna

by Leipzig Updated Apr 29, 2003

Miscellaneous: Rainy season: There is no special rainy season

Avg. Temp. in Spring: max.: 9 – 19°C ( 49 - 66°F ); min: 1 - 9°C ( 34 - 48°F )
    Avg. Temp. in Summer: max.: 22 – 25°C ( 71 - 75°F ); min: 12 - 15°C ( 52 - 59°F )
    Avg. Temp. in Autumn: max.: 6 – 20°C ( 43 - 68°F); min: 1 - 11°C ( 34 – 51°F )
    Avg. Temp. in Winter: max.: 2 – 4°C ( 36 - 39°F); min: -2 - 1°C ( 28 - 34°F )

There's alway a slight breeze from the Vienna Forest that makes the air clean and fresh.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Pack some nice stuff, too

by Krumlovgirl Written Dec 12, 2002

Me in Vienna

Luggage and bags: I always pack an empty bag to put the stuff I buy in while on vacation. It might work for you, too. I also prefer luggage with wheels.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Definitely pack walking shoes because you'll be doing a lot of it. Cobble stones are nice, but get hard on your feet so think comfortable when packing shoes. You also might want to pack some dress shoes, too, in case you want to go to the opera or to a show. I advise packing some dress tuff in general anyway. Vienna is a bit of a dressy place and it's fun to get dolled up.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You can pretty much find whatever you need at a local Apotheke or supermarket. I wouldn't pack anything medical unles sit was your usual prescriptions.

Photo Equipment: They have the same film we do, but it can be expensive in touristy areas. I always pack at least five or six rolls, depending on how long I'm going to be gone. Sometimes more.

• iavormar's Profile Photo

Take a extra stomach with ;-)))

by iavormar Updated Dec 2, 2002

sacher torte

Miscellaneous: Make yourself sure your stomach is fit for huge amounts of delicious food and bier. And don't eat at least a month before you come to Vienna sweet things - here you can have enough of them... I'm just kidding...On the picture - the famous Sacher Torte.

• Packing List

by justsilvie Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring a windbreaker and umbrella in the summer.
    Dress in layers in the spring and fall because the temperatures range from day and night can be extreme.
    Winter, bring a hats, gloves and a heavy coat.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Vienna has clothing optional beaches and people changing in and out of swim suits in the open is not uncommon, so if you are shy bring a cover-up that you can change under since not all the swimming areas have changing facilities.

• Packerman's Profile Photo

by Packerman Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Vienna is more predictable than most other Western European cities weather wise because it has more of a continental weather pattern. The summers are more hot and less wet than London, Paris, Amsterdam. The winters are colder. Bring layers because the temperature can change alot from day to day.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

by SirRichard Written Aug 25, 2002

Miscellaneous: TRAVEL DIARY
    I've made a new Travel Diary, a short one this time. You can take a look at it at my Travelogue 2. There are watercolors and some unfinished pencil drawings (which I plan to colour up very soon!). Hope you enjoy it...

• Eman's Profile Photo

by Eman Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Its often said and rarely done, but for the record, travel light. We went for 3 weeks, and my wife and I each had a large suitcase and a small carry-on bag. You'll especially appreciate this when you have to lug them around the airport and to/from your hotel. Also,if you go shopping, i.e., to the Billa, I would suggest you bring along some plastic bags for your groceries and what; if you don't, you'll either have to buy them or your arms will be quite full!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good, compfortable walking shoes, preferably water-resistant are essential. An Umbrella would also be helpful. Vienna is a terrific city to walk in. We walked anywhere from 4-8 miles a day, all over the city, even with the outstanding subway/bus/tram system.

Photo Equipment: I brought a good 35mm camera, a new Advanced Photo System (APS) camera and a digital video camera, that I carried in soft briefcase type bag, slung around my neck. I found this to be very efficient and fairly comfortable, yet, no one knew I was carrying all that camera/video equipment. Again, I can't stress this enough, never, put down a piece of video or photographic equipment for even a moment, or it just might get snatched. Thus the need for an extra camera.

Miscellaneous: I'm sure I don't have to remind you North American's out there, but don't forget your electric converter kits. And be sure to read your manuals, especially if you are going to recharge batteries, for your video or laptop computers, thus avoiding any nasty surprises.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

by richiecdisc Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: The proverbial backpack gives great freedom and allows you to avoid costly taxi's to your hostel or hotel.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Some type of rain gear is always essetial in any northern European country. You'll notice nothing but sunny skies, but the next day it poured all day.

Photo Equipment: Wide angle to squeeze those big buildings in . . . you'll notice this trip predated my purchase of one!

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: First of all, ask yourself what kind of a holiday you're going to have. If you intend to do alot of sightseeing and walking, you should pack along a comfortable pair of shoes.

If you plan on attending the world-famous Viennese Ball (To the lovely debutantes of this magical world... I ENVY you!), then obviously you will be packing along a bewitching ball gown! :-))

However, if you plan on having a relaxing holiday and visiting museums et al, then I'd suggest that you pack along some smart casuals and a lovely pair of shoes with you. Remember, no matter which country you are in, there are always a group of people who'd judge you by the way you dress. So, it is always advisable to look presentable at ALL times... unless of course, if you are Madonna herself. Then you can get away with ANYTHING! :-)

Photo Equipment: I ALWAYS, ALWAYS bring along at least 2 camaras with me... just in case one breaks down. My friends used to laugh at me.... until their one and only camera broke down. Then when they had to RELY SOLELY on me and my amateurish photographic skills, they stopped laughing. Yes, immediately. Serve them right! :-))

Miscellaneous: DON'T forget to bring along your ATM card and.... an open mind. Remember, if your ATM card is linked to international networks like 'Cirrus', 'Plus', 'The Exchange' and Maestro' etc, you can withdraw money from any ATM machines in the world. What's more, you'd even benefit from the low interbank exchange rates being given to you vis-a-vis if you were to change it at your local money-changer. I have survived on this method for ALL my trips abroad and so far, no ATM machines have failed me. Yes, even in the remotest villages in Africa. :-)) If you haven't tried this method, I challenge you to do so today. And be pleasantly surprised at how much you can save at the end of the day using this method. I kid you not, my dear friends...

Photo Below: A panoramic view of the Ausstellungsstrasse. And if you strain your eye (i.e. in the background), you can catch a glimpse of the super-cool Millenium Tower.

'Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.' - The Dhammapada

• DesertRat's Profile Photo

by DesertRat Updated Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you intend on going to a concert in one of Vienna's major halls -- and especially at the Staatsoper or the Wiener Oper -- make sure you pack something half-way formal. Men should definitely wear a jacket and tie; women can get by with a simple party dress -- maybe your 'basic black.' The Viennese are a bit on the formal side, so if you appear in jeans and a tee shirt, you're likely to be subjected to a few rude-sounding sniffs at the very least. You may not even get in the door.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Bring your winter hats

by vichatherly Written Aug 7, 2005
    Winter clothing

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The weather was extremely cold in December. Ask Kim, who was minus a hat after the game because the policewoman wanted a souvenir....ahh nice

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Vienna

Comments

Vienna What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Vienna what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vienna sightseeing.