Figlmüller, Vienna

4 out of 5 stars 22 Reviews

• Original Figlmüller location on Wollzeile
    Original Figlmüller location on...
    Schnitzels at Figlmüller
    At Figlmüller in Vienna
  • themajor's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: SIZE ISN'T EVERYTHING

by themajor Updated Jun 12, 2005

The Figlmüller seems to be on everyones lips when they are regailing you with tales of thier first culinary march through the centre of Vienna but I must say, I do wonder why. It serves local dishes - well, one in particular! - and it's certainly touristy, though I wouldn't condemn it for that. No, what it's REALLY famous for, is the size of its schnitzels. There must be photolab technicians all over the world ready to slash their wrists if another snap of a tourist pointing to a stupendously enormous plateful of flattened breadcrumbs hoves into view.

I hate to say it but, as my dear wife says, size isn't everything! Food should surely be judged on taste on quality rather than size...or am I preaching to a world totally won over by the mystifying allure of the Big Mac? If you want to taste meat with your breadcrumbs you'd do better going elsewhere; the Landtmann for example. Or stay put at the Figlmüller and ordering one 'natürlich'. On the other hand, if you really really do want that extraordinary photo...

Favorite Dish: I believe the schnitzel is almost compulsory. Sit between two other tables that have ordered one and you could almost share theirs without paying!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: Enjoy Vienna's Biggest and Most Famous Schnitzel

by BillNJ Updated Nov 28, 2010

Before traveling to Vienna, my father and brother (who had previously been to Vienna) highly recommended Figlmüller for the thin schnitzel that is larger than the plate. It is an immensely popular restaurant with tourists -- so advance reservations are usually necessary. My friend Astrid, who is from Vienna and attended my workshop, helped me with the reservations -- and accompanied me to the restaurant.

While restaurants catering to tourists often disappoint, that was certainly not the case with Figlmüller. It is a classy restaurant (but not too formal) -- with a great atmosphere -- and the food is delicious. Of course, both Astrid and I enjoyed the world famous schnitzel -- together with potato salad (topped by delicious greens) and Austrian wine. The total bill was approximately 50 Euros. Personally, I think the price was a fair value for the quality of the food, atmosphere, and experience.

For all travelers to Vienna, I highly recommend the famous schnitzel at Figlmüller!

• Caniko's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: Try the wonderful snitzel and delicious salads

by Caniko Updated Nov 7, 2004

A nice bulding across the Albertina Museum.

If you don't have a reservation, you should accept to wait for a while . When you taste the delicious food, you will think that it is worth to wait.
    Until I saw that big snitzel plate, I was thinking that people are stingy since they order one snitzel for 2.
    Good service and good food and reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: Snitzel and salada and soft drinks.

• WStat's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: "Wiener Schnitzel"

by WStat Updated Jun 14, 2011

a genuine figlm��ller-schnitzel

You can get the famous "Wiener Schnitzel" in most Viennese restaurants. The very best and world-renowned you may find in "FIGLMUELLER"-Restaurants, at a fair price. (For dinner a reservation would be recommendable, just to be on the safe side ! )
    Figlmueller's is either in Wollzeile-street #5, first district or Baeckerstrasse #6
    also 1st district. Have a look at the website and map and find telephone numbers at

Favorite Dish: Whereas the "genuine" Wiener Schnitzel is made of VEAL (!), it is usually pork in most restaurants, also at Figlmueller's.(where you of course can order the more expensive veal-variation) According to the Austrian (and German) consumer-laws a "Wiener Schnitzel" HAS to be made of veal, otherwise it has to be named "Schnitzel Vienna-style" or "Wiener Schnitzel of pork-meat".
    It is NEVER (!!!) served with any kind of juice, like sometimes in the UK or Germany, as it should be rather dry and crispy, but in most restaurants a piece of lemon is added; it comes usually with potatoe-salad - "Kartoffel-Salat".

• Penelope4's Profile Photo

Figlmueller: Most huge Wiener Schnitzel in town!

by Penelope4 Updated Sep 11, 2009

Figlmueller was one of the few authentic restaurants I visited when I came to Viennafor the first time. After years of staying in Vienna, it is still one of the restaurants I visit particularly when I have some guests from abroad. Just remember - if the old waiters are grumpy - it's because it's expected of them :D

Most of the time, the restaurant is full - be it in winter, spring, autumn and particularly in summer. If you don't get a sit, don't fret. You'll be lucky next time and well there are many nice restaurants nearby. Just don't wait because then you can not stay as long as you wish and that won't be fun at all.

The restaurant by the way is open from 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Favorite Dish: Definitely Wiener Schnitzel and its salad!

• bchbabe15's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: Biggest Schneitzel of my life!

by bchbabe15 Updated Apr 4, 2011

mmmmm....so good!

If you want Austrian food done right you must go to Figlmuller! I have never seen a schneitzel so big! We had the green and potato salad also which was amazing! Do not leave Vienna without eating here! The waitstaff is very friendly too!

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: the humungous schnitzel

by Audrey118 Written Jun 26, 2003

The hotel recommended it, and then we saw it in a guidebook. I think the restaurant need no extra publicity!!!

It is a rather popular place to eat especially the ultra humungous Wiener Schnitzel.
    They have several branches, we went to the one at Backerai Strasse, very close to the St Stephans Cathedral.

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: Ultra thin pork chop

by Audrey118 Updated Jun 26, 2003

scnitzels and salad and calf liver

Here there is a good selection of drinks. I had some white wine, and also some campari mixed with local wine, and there is a good selection of soda - lemon or berry flavoured.

I odered the pork chop with potato salad accompaniment - euro 14 while Sharrie had a calf liver with roasti spuds euro 11, and after that both of us dived into desserts...she had cheese dumplings with poached apricot and I had hazelnut parfait...both very rich but awesome.

The total bill came up to45 euro.

Favorite Dish: quiant looking restauratn, lots of dark wood finishing with some black board menu, and a modern lamp shade above.

as the evening was rather warm, we sat by the windows with passerbys gazing into our dinner!!!

• adema29's Profile Photo

Figlmuller: You will be impressed

by adema29 Updated Feb 14, 2009

The street...

Even if we knew that the local "schnitzel" would be different here, the surprise was total. And pleasant!
    Don't miss it...
    If you want to go there, I would recommend you to make a reservation. It uses to be very busy during the lunchtime.

• Figlmüller: Best Schnitzel in Vienna

by MishyM Written Jun 27, 2006

Figlmüller is probably one of the most famous places to buy great Austrian food, but it has such a good reputation for a reason.

The thing that struck me the most about Figlmüller was its cosy atmosphere. It wasn’t a huge place, but being so close to everyone else made it feel quite homely and welcoming. It is a family run business and I think that shows quite clearly in the atmosphere they create. (They have been open since 1905!)

The food was fantastic, as it was by far the best Schnitzel I had whilst in Vienna (And I went to quite a few different places). To begin with the value for money was very food as the Schnitzel was enormous and very tasty. The service was also very fast and good, our waiter was a really friendly Austrian gentleman and he made us all feel very welcome.

I can highly recommend visiting this restaurant, I have even made a reservation again for later this year myself!

• daol's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: Ugliest SMELL ever!

by daol Written Dec 13, 2006

Oh my god, I don't know how someone can enter this restaurant, aren't u irritated by the smell? Sorry but I don't know any locals who would ever go there to eat...the biggest tourist trap !!!

Ok, the Schnitzel is big, but so what..do u cook at home with old oil ( thats exactly the smell at Figlmüller)

Favorite Dish: Never would eat something there! I am local I should know!

• Figlmüller: Huge portions but touristy and unauthentic

by Krampus Written Apr 28, 2012

Ok, this place is often recommended to tourists as the best place to get authentic Wiener Schnitzel. That's just not true. Figlmüller is famous in Austria for having extremely huge Schnitzels but few would think of them as the best or even real "Wiener". First, Figlmüller makes pork Schnitzels, which is already a big no-no. Wiener Schnitzels are made from veal, period. And then, the important thing about the dish is not it's size but the quality of the meat, the perfect golden-brown crust and the Viennese potato salad (which is not "German style potato salad"; there's no mayonnaise in it, just a light vinaigrette) that goes with it. I wouldn't say that Figlmüller necessarily does any of these things badly but, in the end, what they do is just belly busting novelty cuisine for tourists. There is much better to be had in this city.

So, if you really want to try this dish while in Vienna, and why wouldn't you, it's iconic and can be quite delicious if done right, I'd say, leave the first district which is full of mediocre tourist traps anyway, and look for an authentic Viennese "beisl" in one of the less touristy areas. A few suggestions to start with would be Rudis Beisl, Gasthaus Wickerl, Wratschko on Neustiftgasse and Gastwirtschaft Schilling. You can google them, they're all easy to find and easy to reach from the city center.

Favorite Dish: Wiener Schnitzel is really a thinly pounded veal escalope, coated in breadcrumbs and fried in lard. It's usually served with a slice of lemon and a salad, either a potato salad with red onions in a vinaigrette, a green salad, a cucumber salad or a mix of those. Sometimes Styrian pumpkin seed oil is used in the salad which gives it a delicious nutty flavor. From time to time it's also served with french fries and sometimes, but rarely, with rice. There's never any sauce or gravy served with it since that would destroy the crispy texture. Condiments are also generally frowned upon, except for a kind of sweet-tart cranberry compote (Preiselbeeren - European wild cranberries) tha Austrians enjoy with many meat dishes.

Figlmüller's Schnitzels are made of pork and they have perfected a technique to make them as large and uniform as possible. They are not considered authentic.

• Clodagh's Profile Photo

Figlmüller Backerstrasse: Great food and prices.

by Clodagh Written Sep 13, 2006

Giant Wiener Schnitzel

There are two Figlmuller restaurants in Vienna. The Backerstrasse one has a larger menu and restaurant and i would therefore recommend this one first. The food, services, cost and location are all excellent. They serve a good variety of traditional Austrian food and international also. You will definitely need to ring ahead and reserve as it is a very popular restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I recommend the Wiener Schnitzel with cranberry or the pork medallions or the steak. I ate with a party of 12 and everyone loved their meals.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Figlmüller: The place to go for schnitzels in vienna?

by Jefie Updated Jan 7, 2013

Schnitzels at Figlm��ller

Figlmüller is often described as the best place to go for an authentic Wiener Schnitzel - after all, they've been making them for over 100 years. The original location was packed, but right around the corner from there, on Bäckerstraße, there's a new Figlmüller. It may not have all the charm of the original restaurant, but at least there's more room and there was a table waiting for us by the window. Sylvain ordered the Figlmüller schnitzel, while I went for the chicken version and we also shared a potato salad. The waiter was pushing for us to order something else but I'm glad we didn't because that was more than enough food for the both of us! I think I might have enjoyed the atmosphere at the other place better, and perhaps the service as well, but the food was great :o)

• simplytaj's Profile Photo

Figlmuller: Schnitzel as Big as my Plate

by simplytaj Written Feb 26, 2013

Cozy place and we went 2x within the 5days trip. Easy to find and actually known in Vienna.

Favorite Dish: A huge schnitzel good to share but I did not share mine haha It was really good. Aside from the Cordon bleau, they also have other specialties you can try but never miss the schnitzel.

Instant Answers: Vienna