Places to eat in Vienna

Vanilla cream cake

Most Viewed Restaurants in Vienna

zum Scherer: Lunch in the Judenplatz

by toonsarah Updated Jul 6, 2014

On our last day in Vienna, with an afternoon flight to London, we decided to eat a final traditional Austrian Mittagsessen. We found this attractive spot in the Judenplatz with shady tables and a view of the square. There seemed to be quite a lot of local businessmen lunching here, which we took as a good sign that the food would be reasonable at least. And so it proved – reasonable but not spectacular. We both ate the same - Leberknödelsuppe followed by Wiener Schnitzel. The latter was not as good as those we’d had earlier in the weekend (me on Friday at the Bierhof, Chris on Sunday at Huth) but was still very much OK, and the same can be said of the potato salad, Chris drank a beer and I had a white wine (an excellent Grüner Veltliner) and a single espresso. Our bill was just 36€ which was good value we thought, and probably explains the working lunches!

Although we sat outside I did check out the interior and thought it would be very cosy in less clement weather – dark wood, old photos and a very warm atmosphere – what the Austrians themselves call “Gemütlichkeit”.

Next tip: around the Jesuitenkirche

zum Scherer Leberknoedelsuppe

zum Bierhof: Welcome to Vienna

by toonsarah Updated Jul 5, 2014

On our first evening in Vienna we met up with our friends for beers and dinner at this friendly restaurant in a small courtyard a little north of the Hofburg Palace - a very touristy area perhaps, but so tucked away that it is overlooked by many. It was lovely to sit here in the shade of the trees and enjoy our first Austrian dinner of this short trip.

I ate Wiener Schnitzel with potato salad (I love Austrian potato salads!) and drank a couple of beers. Chris enjoyed his bratwurst with sauerkraut too. Our friends treated us but I think the bill for four (several beers and a generously-sized main course each) was around 88€. Great value in such a nice and very central setting, and with very friendly service too.

Next tip: drinking after dinner at Wein & Co

With friends Haarhof zum Bierhof

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Wein & Co: Wonderful wine!

by toonsarah Written Jul 5, 2014

This is a small chain with an interesting concept – they are both wine merchant and wine bar, and the bar prices are the same as the shop’s – no mark-up! Some branches also have a restaurant, but we came to this one, right by Stephansdom, only to drink. With our friends we shared a bottle of my favourite Austrian white wine, Grüner Veltliner, and a bottle of equally great red, a Pinot Noir from local Burgenland producer, Gesellmann. Our friends are experts on the wines of Burgenland and other regions of Austria, and they chose very well – both were excellent. It was really pleasant to sit in the mild summer evening air, with a view of the wonderful west front of Stephansdom, and enjoy great company and great wine.

Next tip: time to start seeing the sights, at nearby Stephansdom

At Wein & Co At Wein & Co Stephansdom at night

Huth Gastwirtschaft: Sunday lunch with friends

by toonsarah Written Jul 5, 2014

Our friends had booked a table here for Sunday lunch - a wise move as it's one of the better restaurants in Vienna and unlike many others is open on a Sunday. It is one of several belonging to the same company, each of which specialises, for example in Italian food or steaks. We visited this branch which offers traditional Austrian cuisine in a modern style and setting, and the meal we had was excellent

Favorite Dish: I ate a starter of beef in aspic with pumpkin seed oil and horseradish (one of the month’s specials), which I followed with some excellent sea trout fillets in an unusual sauce whose ingredients included celery but were otherwise a pleasant mystery. I drank a glass of prosecco as aperitif and my share of a bottle of good local white wine. Chris ate his favourite Leberknoedelsuppe and a Wiener Schnitzel and drank a beer and some wine.

Everything was of very good quality and nicely presented. I have no idea of the total cost of our meal as our friends kindly treated us, but prices seemed, understandably given the quality, a little higher than average for Vienna.

Next tip: travel by S-Bahn

Sea trout Beef in aspic

Frank’s: American food in Vienna

by toonsarah Written Jul 5, 2014

We came to Franks with our friends for a light meal on the Sunday evening, having already eaten rather a large lunch! It’s an unusual place for Vienna – an American-style restaurant specialising in burgers and dry-aged beef – indeed, the flanks of beef are hung in a climate-controlled glass cabinet near the entrance.

Talking of the entrance, that too was a surprise. We walked in through a small shopping mall and past a modern-looking bar area, to find ourselves in an atmospheric, albeit large, cellar which our friend told us was as old as it looked. This is a popular place with locals but we were quite early, and it has lots of space, so there was no problem in getting a table for five in a cosy corner.

Favorite Dish: As well as the beef, Frank’s has a good reputation for pizza and a proper wood-fired pizza oven, so despite that large lunch Chris and Bert decided on one of these each. Others in the party had salad and a burger, while I opted for the tuna melt bagel. This was quite nice although nothing special, but it seemed the other dishes were better from what my dining companions were saying, and I’d be happy to give Frank’s another try on a future visit to Vienna as I liked the atmosphere here a lot.

Next tip: a final ice cream

One of two large rooms at Frank's

Eissalon am Schwedenplatz: Italian gelato in Vienna

by toonsarah Written Jul 5, 2014

Our friend recommended this ice cream parlour in Schwedenplatz, just round the corner from our hotel, so we decided to stop off for a quick treat before leaving for the airport. There is a large interior and equally large terrace where you can enjoy a range of delicious-looking sundaes, but we wanted something simpler and speedier, so we bought ice creams to go and sat on a nearby bench to enjoy them.

We each had a cup with two scoops which cost 2.50€. I chose the amareno (dark cherries) flavour and walnut with figs – both were delicious. Chris also had amareno plus strawberry, and enjoyed his ice too. There’s a wide range of flavours as you can see on the website, including some daily specials (my walnut and fig was one of these) and the website even has a calendar showing all of these for the current month, so you can time your visit accordingly!

This is my final tip, so please click here if you would like to return to my intro page and leave a comment.

Fabios: Great Italian in the Old City

by MM212 Updated Jun 22, 2014

It was lunchtime when we walked past Fabios and decided to give it a try. The restaurant is very elegant and the food authentic Italian and tasty, and if you're lucky with the weather and seating, you could enjoy a meal on the terrace. We were a party of six, so there was no room on the terrace, but still found the restaurant to be wonderful.

Fabios June 2014 Fabios June 2014

Ella's: Tasty food at Judenplatz

by MM212 Updated Jun 22, 2014

We stumbled upon Ella's one evening while walking through the old city. It is one of a few restaurant on Judenplatz, the quiet square with the memorial to the victims of the Holocaust in its centre. Despite the morbid reminder of an ugly period, the square is very peaceful and a great place to have an outdoor meal (we we very lucky with the weather). The elegant restaurant is complemented by very well prepared dishes that could be described as bistro/continental with some Austrian touches. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful, though service may be a tad slow (because no one seems to be in a rush in Vienna). It is a great place for lunch or dinner.

Ella's, June 2014 Ella's one early morning, June 2014 Dinner at Ella's June 2014

Glacis Beisl: Wonderful food in a beautiful garden

by MM212 Updated Jun 8, 2014

This was my favourite dining experience in Vienna. The restaurant offers a menu of local and international dishes (including perfectly prepared Wienerschnitzel) in a beautiful garden and grape vines and walnut trees (in warmer months of course). It is located right behind the Museumsquartier and is therefore a perfect place to end a morning or an afternoon of museum visiting. They serve food nonstop from lunchtime until 11pm.

June 2014 Wienerschnitzel, June 2014
    • Luxury Travel

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Esterhazykeller: One of the oldest restaurant in Vienna

by lotharscheer Updated Jun 4, 2014

Close to the new "Golden Quarter" shopping area you can still find some comparatively reasonable and characterfull places like the Esterhazykeller and Esterhazystüberl
    Esterhazy-Keller is in the second basement and open every day from 16:00 - 22:00, closed in July and August. a so called "Stadtheuriger" where the waiter brings your drinks but the food you select at the counter. At times with rather colorfull viennese characters having there glas of wine.
    Esterhazy-Stüberl is open every day from 11:00 - 22:00 in the half-floor of the house, in the summer there are also tables in the pedestrian Haarhof with dayli changing lunch specials from € 7,10, Wiener Schnitzel 10,90...

Favorite Dish: "Tafelspitz" (boiled beef) in the Stüberl and "Blunzn" (blood sausage) in the Keller

Vienna Vienna Vienna Vienna Vienna
    • Architecture

• balhannah's Profile Photo

CHATTANOOGA: GOOD MEALS!

by balhannah Written May 19, 2014

They call themselves "Chattanooga in the ditch," as their location is in Graben.

It happened to be lunch time when we were wandering around this area. We found plenty of Restaurants for indoor and outdoor eating, eventually choosing the Chattanooga.

What we really liked, was the menu was on a board we could peruse before entering the seating area. On here, were coloured phot of each of the meals, what it was - written in English and German, and the price, just what we needed.

The Restaurant has outdoors and indoors eating areas, we chose the outdoors as it was a very pleasant day, and we could people watch whilst waiting for our meal. I think the outdoors was for the smokers, but we didn't feel like sitting inside on a nice sunny day.
    This area was packed! We found a table and soon had our order for drinks and meal taken.
    When our meals arrived, we were very impressed with the size and quality for what we thought was a good price.
    We really enjoyed our time here and would return for another meal if in Vienna again.

What to choose! Husbands meal My meal - Fish 'n chips Outdoor eating area

• alza's Profile Photo

Zu ebener Erde und erster Stock: Typical Old Viennese

by alza Updated Mar 20, 2014

This was my favourite restaurant in Vienna, when I was there for about a week in 1999.
    At the time, I don't think we had started to put in website links on our travel pages. Now I just checked the restaurant's website, it seems to still be going strong, so I'm updating my Review.

The cuisine was Austrian, many specialties. The maître d'hôtel recommended dishes to me and everything I chose was excellent, delicious and well presented. Service was superb.

I really enjoyed the warm, calm ambiance. There was only one other guest when I had dinner there and we started a conversation from one table to the other. He finally joined me for a Cognac and we had a good talk about a quickly changing Europe.

Truly a memorable experience.

P.S. I just looked at the restaurant's video in the link, short and sweet! The person I called the maître d'hôtel above is actually called the innkeeper on the video. His name is Wolfgang Meznik. He's the one who advised me so well and who treated me like royalty. It's amazing, the power of tradition and excellence in the great cities of Europe!

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Day meal

by Raimix Updated Nov 2, 2013

Nearby Belvedere palace I have found a nice place to eat so called day meal. It cost around 8 euros, so that was quite affordable price. Probably owners of place was from East, as soup was made from lavash. Main dish was chicken with vegetables.

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Cafe Pruckel: Some sweat things

by Raimix Updated Nov 2, 2013

I wanted to visit any of traditional Viennese coffees, as I know it is strange to be in Vienna without feeling that atmosphere, despite I am not coffee lover ;)

I loved the way it was. I tried a coffee, also apple cake and famous Sachertorte. People were quite relaxed, waiters were very gentle, there were books and magazines to read, of course, in German ;)

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Piccini: Fast lunch and excellen italian food shop

by lotharscheer Updated Oct 28, 2013

If you need a fast cheap snak or espresse (enter at Piccolino) at lunchtime monday to thursday a daily changing pasta for € 4 or a espresso for € 1 (maybe the cheapest in Vienna). there is also a regular italian restaurant and maybe the best italian foodstore in Vienna.

Favorite Dish: Linguine alla Vongole

Hotel Stefanie
Hotel Academia
Latest: Aug 13, 2013

Instant Answers: Vienna

Comments

Vienna Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Vienna locals.
Map of Vienna