Sacher, Vienna

4 out of 5 stars 34 Reviews

Interior (2)
    Exterior
    by gordonilla
    Sacher Torte, what we all long for!
  • Hosell's Profile Photo

Sacher (SACHERTARTE): THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE IN AUSTRIA

by Hosell Written Oct 9, 2004

When you are visiting Vienna,you must to try a original Sachertorte here.Is a delicious chocolate cake and are made just in the Sacher Restaurant and hotel in Vienna.We tried to go there to try this speciallyti but the restaurant was crowded and we needed to make a line,so we decided to go to another place,we found a nice outdoor terrace,but we forget to ask for a "Sacher" tarte,so they bring us a ordinary chocolate cake.Lucky that next day,while we were visiting the town of Baden,we had the choice to try them,this time we asked for a Sachertorte! is pronuncied Sajer!.

• TracyBates's Profile Photo

Sacher: Good food and torte!

by TracyBates Updated Sep 21, 2004

This hotel receives mixed reviews, but we liked it just fine. We had lunch in the cafe. My potato soup was very good, as was my husbands sandwich. Of course, the best part of the meal came at the end, when our waiter brought our Sacher tortes! The torte was heavenly!

I didn't quite care for the ambience. It was a little too formal for our liking, and some of the restaurant workers (and guests) seemed a bit on the snooty side.

Favorite Dish: The Sacher torte was delicious, especially with cream! A little drier than I expected but still wonderful.

• where2next's Profile Photo

Sacher: Dessert, Anyone???

by where2next Written May 29, 2004

I will be honest and say that the Sacher Torte that I had was so-so. I realize it is well known and has good reputation, though I've had much richer chocolate desserts. Overall, it was nice to sit out on the cafe's patio and relax and the cost of the dessert and coffee were relatively affordable (i.e. vs. a full meal), so although I only partially endorse going here the cost is low enough to try it.

Favorite Dish: I had the Sacher Torte and overall was not so impressed. I liked the desserts from Demel's more.

Cafe Sacher...: Swanky...

Vienna : Hotel Sacher

The outside view of this well-known Hotel Sacher ! We only had breakfast in there & not staying at the place which is also a swanky hotel !
    The rate is something like 182 Euros for a Single Room or 288 Euros for a Double Room.By the way, Sacher Torte is 4 EUROS A Slice; Coffee is about 2.25 Euros.

• coceng's Profile Photo

Cafe Sacher...: My Sacher Bill...

by coceng Updated May 26, 2004

Cafe Sacher : Was it expensive ?

I had breakfast at this Hotel Sacher. My friend Joe took me there & he told me many nice things about this hotel !
    The only thing that I can share with you guys is this bill from our breakfast.
    Well, is it really expensive for a breakfast ? You decide (Or maybe we didn't eat too much !).

Cafe Sacher...: Elegant...

Vienna : Joe in Cafe Sacher

Joe insisted that we should have breakfast in Cafe Sacher because he wanted me to see the elegance of the interior !
    We had a good breakfast there (to me at least) & you can se what we had there from the bill in the tip below !
    Scroll down, please.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Sacher: Hotel Coffee... ummm

by Jmill42 Written Mar 17, 2004

Sacher

Yes, I am suggesting you go to a Hotel for coffee. Yes, I am sane. This hotel / cafe is one of the most famed, because of its chocoholic- nightmare creation, the Sacher Torte. Its basically created by the devil to make you fat. It is an amazingly rich desert cake, that if eaten in large enough quantities can give you clogged arteries within 20 minutes. I recommend eating 4 and testing my theory. Even if you fail to clog your arteries, at least you will have eaten your cake too.

• lulu_girl's Profile Photo

Hotel Sacher: Ok, everyone knows to go here...

by lulu_girl Updated Nov 7, 2003

Yum, cake!

Ok, so recommending the Hotel Sacher is silly....because that's like saying 'go to NYC' but don't look at The Empire State Building. ha.

The hotel is famous for it's signature cake (and the hotel itself, naturally)...the Sacher Torte. It's yum. Very, very yummy. Dense...it takes a little while to plow through...and it's dryer than I thought. So just order a kaffe or a beer ( I recommend their coffees or ice cream drinks) and relax. There are two different sections to the restaurant, fancy and really super dooper fancy (that serves main meals, yadda yadda).

Not too much of a dress code for just the fancy coffee shop section...I went unintentionally dressed like a bum (esp after getting drenched in a sudden rain storm) and they didn't mind.

It's pricey...but not too bad unless you want to order an entire cake, haha. There are other *really tasty* baked goods as well. I wanted to smush my face into their display and gooble up the carrot cake, but I thought that might be rude. : )

Favorite Dish: er, everything? haha.
    Sacher Torte; melange; ice cream beverages.
    The prices do greatly vary depending upon what you want, but those on a tight budget can have a slice of cake and a cup of coffee for about ten euros.

• Hotel Sacher: Nice!

by wildstrawberries Written Jul 29, 2003

What else can I say that's not already been stated by other travellers?? Yes, it's overpriced and yes it's not such a big deal of a recipe. So don't rush here or make this your first stop at Vienna. But after a day of sight-seeing and you just want to soak up the atmosphere of Wien, then you might wanna consider having the cake at the original cafe!

Favorite Dish: Sacher Torte and Apfel strudel, with Melange.

• kindretspiri's Profile Photo

Sacher: Taste real Sacher torte

by kindretspiri Written Jul 15, 2003
    Sacher with whipped cream

Sacher is the home of famous Sacher torte. Demmel is also competing about tittle of "Real Sacher". Take a cup of tea and piece of Sacher in hotel Sacher. Be careful though. It's very sweet. It's also pretty expencive but worth for testing.

Favorite Dish: Sacher and tea.

• Maggies's Profile Photo

Go for Sachertorte

by Maggies Written Sep 12, 2002

To taste Vienna you just have to sit in one of the cafes, drink a cup of COFFEE and try APFELSTRUDEL or SACHERTORTE. Well, actually both are the real must. And the best place to have a piece of Sachertorte is of course Sacher hotel.

• icamarica's Profile Photo

Hotel Sacher

by icamarica Written Aug 25, 2002

Hotel Sacher
    They have the best chocolate cake in the city.
    To go there you must dress up a little bit. We went there after the training.. and we were a bit casual.. and the waitress almost not allowing us to come.

Favorite Dish: Sacher Torte, a chocolate cake, and melange coffee

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

SACHER CAFEThe cafe of the...

by SirRichard Written Aug 25, 2002

SACHER CAFE
    The cafe of the Sacher Hotel has an independent entrance directly from the street. Here you can try the original Sacher Torte, this famous chocolate cake whose copies you can find at any viennese cafe. 4 euros a piece.
    Philarm. Str., in front of te Opera.

• The Hotel Sacher Cafe: The Hotel Sacher Cafe

by Billy_26 Written Aug 25, 2002

The most expensive piece of cake you may ever have.
    The Cafe is a must see. Chandeliers with red walls and carpets and efficient waiters.

Favorite Dish: Sachertorte !
    Chocolate apricot cake.
    Two layers of chocolate cake sandwiched between a layer of apricot jam and smothered in glossy chocolate.

• CvB's Profile Photo

We had our dinner is several...

by CvB Written Aug 24, 2002

We had our dinner is several restaurants, but I cannot say that I like one more than another but...

We had our coffee (Wiener melange of course) in the famous Hotel Sacher. This very chique hotel has a bakery which was for ages the provider of bakery for the royal family. There we had the worldfamous 'Sachertorte'
    Quotte from:http://www.vienna.at/pubs/redaktion/English/Hotels/English-Hotels-2986.asp

The Hotel Sacher, one of the jewels of Viennese hotels, is situated opposite the Opera House in the centre of town.
    The 'birth-place' of the legendary Sacher cake offers differently spacious rooms and suites, all decorated with precious paintings, frescoed ceilings and antique carpets.

Favorite Dish: Sachertorte (a pie from very pure chocolat).
    Here you can also buy a complete 'sachertorte' in different sizes. They sell them in a wooden box. (Very nice christmas gift :-))

Instant Answers: Vienna