Sacher, Vienna

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 34 Reviews

Sacher Torte, what we all long for!
    Di and Christine
    Interior (1)
  • Jmill42's Profile Photo

Sacher: Hotel Coffee... ummm

by Jmill42 Written Mar 17, 2004

Sacher

Yes, I am suggesting you go to a Hotel for coffee. Yes, I am sane. This hotel / cafe is one of the most famed, because of its chocoholic- nightmare creation, the Sacher Torte. Its basically created by the devil to make you fat. It is an amazingly rich desert cake, that if eaten in large enough quantities can give you clogged arteries within 20 minutes. I recommend eating 4 and testing my theory. Even if you fail to clog your arteries, at least you will have eaten your cake too.

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Sacher Cafe and Restaurant: Only for the sweet tooth!

by longsanborn Updated Oct 14, 2008

The Sacher Torte

I have always wanted to try the famous Sacher torte (cake) in the well-known Sacher Hotel. Hence, one fine day. I went to the Sacher coffeehouse in the Sacher Hotel and ordered my coffee and a slice of Sacher torte. The indoor decors were rich and elegant. Waiters were polite but seemed aloof. The service in the Sacher coffeehouse was slow. Took some time to get my order. I find the Sacher Torte (cake) to be extremely sweet yet dry; coffee was strong and bitter, despite the vast amount of sugar and milk I poured in. When I got the bill, I was shocked at the high prices for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake. I didn't get a good first-time experience with Sacher.

LATEST UPDATE:

It's been many years since I've eaten at Sacher coffeehouse. I decided to give it another try since the restaurant/coffeeshop was renovated. The Sacher Torte is better this time, more moist/less dry - but still very sweet. The whipped cream on the side was rich but not sweet. The melange (coffee with milk) tasted good and the service has remarkably improved.

Now there is a Sacher Cafe at the Vienna International Airport - Terminal One Departure Hall. For those who didn't get the chance to try the sacher torte and coffee in Vienna city, go ahead and indulge your curiousity and sweet tooth before your flight. Just be prepared to pay a whopping price for it!

Favorite Dish: Sacher Torte (sacher cake) and Melange (coffee with milk)

• Hosell's Profile Photo

Sacher (SACHERTARTE): THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE IN AUSTRIA

by Hosell Written Oct 9, 2004

When you are visiting Vienna,you must to try a original Sachertorte here.Is a delicious chocolate cake and are made just in the Sacher Restaurant and hotel in Vienna.We tried to go there to try this speciallyti but the restaurant was crowded and we needed to make a line,so we decided to go to another place,we found a nice outdoor terrace,but we forget to ask for a "Sacher" tarte,so they bring us a ordinary chocolate cake.Lucky that next day,while we were visiting the town of Baden,we had the choice to try them,this time we asked for a Sachertorte! is pronuncied Sajer!.

• csordila's Profile Photo

Café Sacher: The world famous Sacher cake

by csordila Updated Feb 25, 2012

The Sacher

For its fame the Café Sacher should thank the masterpiece of Franz Sacher however it belongs to the truth at the same time that the numberless imitation of the cake and the well-known Demel-Sacher debate contributed to this in a considerable measure.
    Guest was many politicians starting from Kofi Annan through J. F. Kennedy to Elizabeth II., and the artists' list is also most distinguished: John Lennon, Herbert von Karajan, Leonard Bernstein, Sharon Stone.....

Favorite Dish: I tried not only the cake of Sacher but Demel's as well. I liked the taste of both very much.
    The only difference I have found is in the placing of the apricot jam: the jam of the "genuine" Sacher is between two layers of the sponge cake, while in Demel's "Ur-Sacher Cake" the jam is on top of the sponge cake under the chocolate covering.
    You have to taste them, if you visit Wien.
    Here the details for your test.

Café Sacher Vienna

Address: Kohlmarkt 14, A-1010 Wien
    Website: TheDemel
    General Area Or Directions: Located at the downtown entrance of Hofburg

• viddra's Profile Photo

Restaurant Puntigamer Hof: Don't Miss Sacher!

by viddra Written May 16, 2005

Mmmm

The minute we got off the tram on our way to Belvedere, it started to rain. Since we wanted to try Viennese specialty - Sachertorte, we decided to go into the 1st open restaurant (5 May-public holiday, thus everything closed). So we ended up in this restaurant, which turned out just fine.

Favorite Dish: Sachertorte
    Ingredients:
    6 eggs, 160g butter, 175g chocolate, apricot jam, 160g sugar, 160g flour, 1 packet (2 teaspoonfuls) vanilla sugar, chocolate icing.
    Beat the soft butter with half the sugar, the warmed chocolate and the egg yolks until fluffy. Whip the egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff, and add to the mixture. Stir in carefully the flour and vanilla sugar, previously seived together. Pour into cake tin and bake for an hour in a moderate oven. When cool cut in half, spread with apricot jam and sandwich together again. Also coat the sides and top with apricot jam, then cover thickly with chocolate icing.
    Icing:
    Warm 100g chocolate carefully (not too hot). Heat 200g sugar with water until it begins to stick together. Mix the sugar with the softened chocolate and beat smooth.

• lulu_girl's Profile Photo

Hotel Sacher: Ok, everyone knows to go here...

by lulu_girl Updated Nov 7, 2003

Yum, cake!

Ok, so recommending the Hotel Sacher is silly....because that's like saying 'go to NYC' but don't look at The Empire State Building. ha.

The hotel is famous for it's signature cake (and the hotel itself, naturally)...the Sacher Torte. It's yum. Very, very yummy. Dense...it takes a little while to plow through...and it's dryer than I thought. So just order a kaffe or a beer ( I recommend their coffees or ice cream drinks) and relax. There are two different sections to the restaurant, fancy and really super dooper fancy (that serves main meals, yadda yadda).

Not too much of a dress code for just the fancy coffee shop section...I went unintentionally dressed like a bum (esp after getting drenched in a sudden rain storm) and they didn't mind.

It's pricey...but not too bad unless you want to order an entire cake, haha. There are other *really tasty* baked goods as well. I wanted to smush my face into their display and gooble up the carrot cake, but I thought that might be rude. : )

Favorite Dish: er, everything? haha.
    Sacher Torte; melange; ice cream beverages.
    The prices do greatly vary depending upon what you want, but those on a tight budget can have a slice of cake and a cup of coffee for about ten euros.

• Sacher Hotel: A must do in Vienna

by MishyM Updated Feb 21, 2006

This cafe is located in the Sacher Hotel which was founded in 1876. It is a beautiful place to dine to begin with, without even mentioning the food. It is beautifully and elegantly decorated, and instantly enables you to understand why this hotel is popular amongst royalty, celebrities and those high in government.

I found the service to be faultless, and the atmosphere to be very inviting, a perfect place to have lunch or dinner with friends and to indulge!

Favorite Dish: The Sacher Torte is a must have when in Vienna, which is what I had here. It is something you really have to try. I can't say it is the most amazing desert I have ever had, but it is an experience, and it is something very special to Austria, and it is quite nice!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

cafò Sacher: home of the.... sacher torte

by call_me_rhia Written May 28, 2007

coffee at sacher

If you must have your piace of sacher torte in vienna, your best bet is to go where it was created... it's heavenly. But can you imagine that only a few hundred metres away it becomes unedible? This happens (often) in Vienna.

Favorite Dish: One should come here for the "original" sacher torte, but the coffees are some of the bests, too. I'm addicted to Franziskaner, a coffee with enough milk to resemble the color of monks of the Franciscan order

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Hotel Sacher: Sachertorte

by globetrott Updated Aug 24, 2012

For a very long time Hotel Sacher was well-known for the fact that NOBODY was allowed to enter their Hotel-Bar without a tie - and they kicked out celebrities as well as everybody else that way. NOWADAYS they have also a garden-restaurant right in front of their hotel, where they serve tourists as well and dont care much about their outfits !

Favorite Dish: Sachertorte is certainly the most famous cake of Austria.
    The original recepee came from Hotel Sacher and there you still can taste it or have it sent all over the world in their small souvenirshop in Kärntnerstrasse.
    Sachertorte is a chocolate-sponge-cake with a soft chocolate glacing...

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Sacher Cafe: Rainy day cafe stop

by dustmon Updated Jun 24, 2010

A morning of visiting 2 wonderful museums in the area led to needing lunch, and a place to get out of the rain, so we headed to Cafe Sacher. They lead the wet folk coming in towards the cloak room politely, then seated at a frilly station all in pink. The service was professional to a Tee, and we enjoyed some potato/wild mushroom/bacon soup, some fresh sausages that looked like big hot dogs, and of course the Sacher torte and a slice of the house Spice Cake as well. The hot soup was perfect for this rainy day in Vienna, and sharing the desserts made the meal complete. They also have a special blend of Sacher Tea that we enjoyed--a mix of black, earl grey, darjeeling and other stuff---very pleasant.

Favorite Dish: soup

• Dariana's Profile Photo

Sacher: Another Viennese symbol

by Dariana Written Jun 18, 2005

Elegance

The Hotel Sacher is the perfect place to taste the “Original Sachertorte”,a divine cake “invented “in 1832 and the subject of a lawsuit between two pattisseurs. Why is so tasteful? A perfect mixture of finest natural ingredients, perfectly harmonized served correctly with fresh beaten, lightly sweetened cream ( Schlagobers) as a smooth and elegant touch.

Favorite Dish: Of course!... Sachertorte.

• huwhit's Profile Photo

Sacher: For the true Sacher Tort..........................

by huwhit Written Nov 16, 2004

If you want the real Sacher Tort, then head to it's birth place - the Cafe at the Sacher Hotel. This top class hotel in the heart of heart of the city is a bity pricey - but well worth it to tick another box in your worldly travels.

Favorite Dish: You can't go past the Sacher Tort - the original Austrian tea cake. A mixture of citrus and chocolate flavours it was first made by a young apprentice chef at the hotel who had to come up with a desert for the King and Queen's dinner that was being hosted by the Hotel. The head chef was sick and could not make it in to the kitchen so the young apprenctice had to come up with something original.

You can buy the tort and its many variations all over the country - but it really is a good idea to taste it first at the birthplace of the slice.

• coceng's Profile Photo

Cafe Sacher...: Swanky...

by coceng Updated May 26, 2004

Vienna : Hotel Sacher

The outside view of this well-known Hotel Sacher ! We only had breakfast in there & not staying at the place which is also a swanky hotel !
    The rate is something like 182 Euros for a Single Room or 288 Euros for a Double Room.By the way, Sacher Torte is 4 EUROS A Slice; Coffee is about 2.25 Euros.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Sacher Eck: The home of Sacher Torte

by gordonilla Updated Jun 12, 2011

Exterior

Every time I visit Vienna, I try and visit Cafe Sacher - so in May 2011, I made two visits.

The first was on my own for lunch of wurst and Sacher torte.

The second was with two Australian ladies, met through VT. (Christine and Di)

Favorite Dish: Sacher Torte and Coffee

• coceng's Profile Photo

Cafe Sacher...: My Sacher Bill...

by coceng Updated May 26, 2004

Cafe Sacher : Was it expensive ?

I had breakfast at this Hotel Sacher. My friend Joe took me there & he told me many nice things about this hotel !
    The only thing that I can share with you guys is this bill from our breakfast.
    Well, is it really expensive for a breakfast ? You decide (Or maybe we didn't eat too much !).

Instant Answers: Vienna