Augustinekirche (The Augustinian Church) was originally built in the 14th century, founded in 1327 by by the Duke Frederick the Handsome for the Augustinian friars. In 1634 the Augustinekirche became the parish church of the imperial family and many Habsburg weddings took place there.
The exterior of the church, built in a Gothic style, is rather imperceptible and engulfed in the Hofburg complex. The interior is much more ornate with the chapels dedicated to the royal family. The most notable among the church's monuments is the memorial to Archduchess Maria Christina of Austria, from 1805, sculpted by the great Venetian sculptor Antonio Canova.
This church was the "home " church of the Habsburg family, this us the place where the Imperors married.
It is a big church, next to Albertina Museum and Filmmuseum, only 3 min walk from the Opera.
Whatch out for the entrance at "Josefsplatz" .
For those who love classic music, there are organised concerts every month and every sunday at 11 a.m. the mass ( roman-catholic and in german) is accompined by a chorus, baroque organ and sometimes orchester.
In 1634, the Habsburgs decided to leave St. Michael's Church and elected this 14th century Gothic church as the new court parish church. Augustinian Church is located on Josefsplatz, next to the Hofburg palace. It was completed in 1339, and extensively restored in a Gothic style in the 18th century. The church's distinctive glass chandeliers are a more recent addition. Throughout the years, many official ceremonies have taken place here, including Napoleon Bonaparte and Marie Louise's wedding in 1810. Even though the Habsburgs' official crypt is located at Kapuzinerkirche, the hearts of 54 imperial family members are kept in silver urns in the church's Herzgruft (literally "heart crypt" in English). The church also features a beautiful cenotaph sculpted by Antonio Canova in memory of Duchess Maria Christina.
The Church of the Augustines was the private Habsburg Chapel, over the centuries encroached upon and then swallowed whole by the Hofburg palace. The exterior is difficult to appreciate and harder to image. The interior, like so many Viennese churches, began in the 14thCas a gothic style church, became baroque over the years, and was then regothed in 1784 by Emporer Josef II. Side chapels and decorations were stripped leaving the more traditional decor.
The church is impossibly crowded and chaotic ( two failed visits ) and many attractions are available only on a limited schedule. Sunday Mass is the week's highlight. If open, check out the Loreto vault with 54 silver urns containing the hearts of 54 Habsburgs ( with the remaining body parts elsewhere including the Stephandom ). And if you can get to it, there is a memorial to Maria Christina, daughter of Maria Theresien and sister of Marie Antoinette, apparently quite spectacular. The altar and other decor is routine.
The most important part of this church for the visitor is the realization of the events, mostly marriages, that took place here. Maria Theresien was married here to Duke Francis of Lorraine in 1736, Marie Antoinette to Louis XVI of France in 1770, and Franz Josef to Elizabeth of Bavaria ( Sissi ) in 1854. Napoleon married Archduchess Marie Louise in 1810 sending a proxy and not bothering to show up in person. Today the church remains active with a contingent of Augustinian monks but is most noted for hosting concerts.
The Augustinerkirche was built in the 14th century on the west side of the Imperial Palace. It was the court church for the royal family. Here you will find the cenotaph built to honour Archduchess Maria Christina by celebrated architect Antonio Canova.
Today the church, in addition to its principal function as that of a place of worship, is the setting for some of the great Masses of Mozart and Handel etc. Many a classical concert is held here and for this purpose, the church has two organs. The High Mass at 11am on Sundays is always packed to the rafters. To get a seat, you must come the best part of an hour or so early. To this day there is a small community of Augustinian monks who oversee the running and care of the church.
Strictly speaking, this 14th century church is part of the Hofburg complex. Originally Gothic, it was converted to Baroque then rebuilt as Gothic – now I’d describe it as Gothic with Baroque touches! Some great chandeliers and a pipe organ I’d love to hear playing (main, second photos). Actually, it seems that, apart from church services, there are regular concerts.
Long before the days or organ donation, it was apparently the fashion with various European royal families to bury various pieces of the 'Dear Departed' in different places. And so it was with the Habsburgs, whose hearts were buried in the Augustinerkirche, though there are some tombs here (the main funeral crypt was in the Kapuzinerkirche at the Neuer Markt ). (3rd photo)
If it weren't for its steeple, you could walk right past St. Augustine's Church without even realizing it was there. Vienna has so many narrow streets that this is often the case with many of the smaller churches. The interior of St. Augustine's Church is not as colorful or ornate as a lot of other churches in the city, but its simplicity is beautiful in its own right.
Day 2 : Hofburg area
If you are visiting the Augustinerkirche, do not forget to visit the Loreto Chapel.
In 1627, Eleonora von Mantua spouse of Emperor Ferdinand II, gave the order to build a copy of the Casa Santa von Loreto (Italy) in the Augustinerkirche.
The Madonna of Loreto is also the main Madonna of the Habsburgs.
Inside the Chapel there are the silver urns which contain the hearts of the Habsburgs.
The entry to the Chapel is also very special as it is decorated with skulls and skeletons. (See pictures).
Day 2 : Hofburg area
When you are visiting the Josefplatz, or the Hofburg, do not forget to enter the Augustinerkirche (Church of the Augustinian Friars).By the way, there is no entrance fee.
The interior looks just great; it is one of the best remained 14th century gothic interiors of Vienna.There are beautiful pieces of art to admire like the great sculptures made by Antonio Canova.
This church is also very famous for its Schubert and Haydn masses held here on Sunday.
To the beginning of the skillful navat, there is the pyramidal neoclassic tomb of the archduchess Christina Marie work of Canova (1805); to flank in the navata one, two burlaps of J.M.Rottmayr (Vision of S. Maddalen, 1707) and of M. Unterberger (Jesus between the doctors of the temple, sec. XVIII); in the left of navata one, one burlap (the education of Maria, sec. XVII) of J.Spillenberg. From the skillful navata one it is passed in the Georgskapelle, ghotic nail head of 1341 to two navate absidate, with cenotafio of Emperor Leopold work of F.A. Zauner (1799). From the beginning of the skillful right navata one it is approached the Loretokapelle, nail head of 1627 behind whose altar is the Hengruft der Habsburger, "cript of the hearts" of 1634, where the hearts of the members of imperial house (1637-1878 are guarded in silver urns), the emains of which came instead inumate in the Kaisergruft of the Church of the Cappuccins.
Church of the Agostinians, incorporated in the annexed convent to the Hofburg; it is approached to you from Josefsplatz for a door on the left of the Augustinerlrakt. The church, ancient parish of the Court, where often was celebrated the wedding of the members of the House of Asburgo, is a gothic construction (sec. XIV), restored and altered to the end of the ' 700, with neogotic tower of 1852. The inner perusal to three navats with high and thin pillars, with deep chorus; the neoghotic altar work of T.Halbig (1857-70) and a neoghotic tribune with baroque extension of organ.
this church has a well-preserved 14th century Gothic interior, perhaps a little misplaced arethe modern chandeliers. In the chapel are the silver urns containing the hearts of the Habsburg family, plus the Neo-Classical tomb of Maria Christina. She was the favourite daughter of Maria Theresa. Her tomb and also the tomb of Leopold II (also in the church) are empty - the royal remains are in the Kaisergruft. Go to the church on a sunday - it is renown for its music - including masses by Schubert and Haydn.
This Church was built between 1.330 and 1.339 and it served the imperial family as departure point for pilgrimages and jubilee processions as well as for funeral ceremonies (info taken from the net).
This is the oldest surviving church iN Vienna built in the 14th Century. It's built into the side of Hofburg palace and many Hapburg are buried here.